Maverick Uncage Q

In other aircraft such as the AV-8B the Maverick missile needs to be manually uncaged, partially as I understand to blow the protective covering off the seeker head.

I was curious in the A-10 why this step is not required. Is it automatic, or some other reason?

Thank you.

I think you are getting terms stowed (missiles locked with pins and covered up while on the ground prior to aircraft start up)and caged (seeker locked in a fixed position) mixed up

The mavs will need to initiate a start up sequence then will be ready and uncaged, meaning they are ready to slew, and be fired. You would cage the mavs to return them to the fixed locked position at your nose (I use cage/uncage all the time in the A10C)

" the AV-8B the Maverick missile needs to be manually"uncaged, partially as I understand to blow the protective covering off the seeker head.

don't know what you are referring to.

Also to be clear there is no "uncage" button on the mavs in the A10c. With the Mav as SOI it can always be slewed even after caging it (using missile step )

So in the A10C world, the cage button(missile step) is more of a "reset position" button, which is useful to get your mav re-centered.

Edited by Dagger71