Reference points for proper fingertip formation flying on Tomcat?

Mnemonic

Hi guys, I like to practice formation flying, and would like to know what are the reference points on the Tomcat I have to lineup to be in a proper spot for the fingertip formation?

For the Hornet that would be a tip of a sidewinder (on the wingtip) that has to be placed inside of the insignia roundel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=215318&stc=1&d=1565539314

On the screenshot we fly formation with my buddy.

So what are the correct reference points for Tomcat?

Thanks in advance! :)

Screen_190727_221839.thumb.png.02cb4ef9bbdf36ee3c5ec7f2906b7347.png

• 2 months later...

Revisiting this because something seems odd. NATOPS says Parade Formation reference is with the leading edge of the intake lined up with the RIO's ejection seat warning triangle. But when I do this and look at an external view, I seem sucked a little.

To add confusion, other formation references (Cruise Formation IIRC) says to line up the leading edge of the intake with the RIO's canopy bow.

The RIO canopy bow and ejection seat warning triangle are in the same vertical plane....

• 1 month later...
Revisiting this because something seems odd. NATOPS says Parade Formation reference is with the leading edge of the intake lined up with the RIO's ejection seat warning triangle. But when I do this and look at an external view, I seem sucked a little.

To add confusion, other formation references (Cruise Formation IIRC) says to line up the leading edge of the intake with the RIO's canopy bow.

The RIO canopy bow and ejection seat warning triangle are in the same vertical plane....

It may not be the case here but I think some liveries don't have the roundels properly placed

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 4 months later...

Also investigating this F14 formation Thing, scanned almost whole internet for any other sources of proper formations, but without any luck. Also every picture of F14 taken from RIO position (not good visual references) and at the same time non of these where even close to those desribed in NATOPS (only 1 or 2) It seems to me that except the Diamond formation for public show, the wingmens fly as they wanted a feel safe distance to avoid MAC.

don't forget that formations are not always flown rigidly, because someone said you must fly finger four or echelon, etc. you fly out there 150nm in the middle of nowhere over the ocean, you'll more likely settle into some sort of combat spread or lose formation so you stay comfy throughout the flight. During flight training or for parades or when rtb etc you will more likely stick with a proper formation required for the situation.

Pictures and sometimes even in game can be misleading, the view gets distorted and stretched when turning the head in track IR or without head tracking to a certain degree etc...

And on screen the reference points are small and you dont have the in depth perception including distance etc as in real life. For a fingertip formation for any aircraft you can generally just make it easy on yoursefl and take this thump rule: the pilot's helmets connect in a 30° line away from lead's helmet and you have about 5 aircraft widths spread. 2 to 3 if you want to fly close formation. 30° roughly ofc, and most fighter jets will give you 30° if you line up with the vertical stabs, so that from your point of view the vertical stab on your side completely hides the vertical stab off your side. You can then adjust a bit forward or aft depending on jet to hit that close to 30°.

This is by far not by the book etc, but it works.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Also investigating this F14 formation Thing, scanned almost whole internet for any other sources of proper formations, but without any luck. Also every picture of F14 taken from RIO position (not good visual references) and at the same time non of these where even close to those desribed in NATOPS (only 1 or 2) It seems to me that except the Diamond formation for public show, the wingmens fly as they wanted a feel safe distance to avoid MAC.

There are more formations than what are listed in the F-14 NATOPS. Tac wing (USAF = Fighting Wing) is pretty standard when just killing time.

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII