FAC MGRS vs ME MGRS

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Hi Guys,

I noticed in the ME mission below that the FAC MGRS for the target was given in 3,3 digits while the target's MGRS in the ME map is 5,5 digits (see screenshot below). My questions are:

a) Why is "11S" missing in the FAC MGRS? To convert to DDMMSS.SS, "11S" is required but missing.

b) Before conversion to DDMMSS.SS, I add two zeros to the FAC MGRS coordinates? That seems right although "11S" is required.

c) Wouldn't FAC MGRS coordinates be quite inaccurate?

d) What is the resolution of the last two (of five) digits ie, "01", in ft or m?

Thanks!

W8y0B7V.jpg

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Hi Guys,

I noticed in the ME mission below that the FAC MGRS for the target was given in 3,3 digits while the target's MGRS in the ME map is 5,5 digits (see screenshot below). My questions are:

a) Why is "11S" missing in the FAC MGRS? To convert to DDMMSS.SS, "11S" is required but missing.

b) Before conversion to DDMMSS.SS, I add two zeros to the FAC MGRS coordinates? That seems right although "11S" is required.

c) Wouldn't FAC MGRS coordinates be quite inaccurate?

d) What is the resolution of the last two (of five) digits ie, "01", in ft or m?

Thanks!

W8y0B7V.jpg

a) 11S isn't required. The target is near the JTAC, and if you don't know at least roughly, where the JTAC is, you shouldn't drop anyway. QB is a 100km x 100km square, so you know quite precise where to look. The three digits gives you a 100m x 100m area to search. Unlike LL the MGRS does not give you a "point", but a square area of a certain size.

b) To convert into LL you may want to add 50% of the missing digits before converting to LL coordinate to put the point into the center of the square.

EDIT c) what Flagrum said. Laser designator requires no 1 meter precision.

d) that would be a 1m x 1m square, basically a "point" in MGRS.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

c) yes, 3+3 is quite inaccurate, but the JTAC also lases for you - so there is no real advantage to be more precise anyways.

(although I am not sure if this is true just by accident in this specific case, or if the JTAC would give more precise coords if he requested for example a JDAM)

a) 11S isn't required. The target is near the JTAC, and if you don't know at least roughly, where the JTAC is, you shouldn't drop anyway. QB is a 100km x 100km square, so you know quite precise where to look. The three digits gives you a 100m x 100m area to search. Unlike LL the MGRS does not give you a "point", but a square area of a certain size.

b) To convert into LL you may want to add 50% of the missing digits before converting to LL coordinate to put the point into the center of the square.

EDIT c) what Flagrum said. Laser designator requires no 1 meter precision.

d) that would be a 1m x 1m square, basically a "point" in MGRS.

I see. So FAC MGRS is meant for you to search an area by referencing your F10 map?

I was thinking of using GPS JDAMs on the fly using those FAC given MGRS coordinates but I see now it's not meant for that?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

I see. So FAC MGRS is meant for you to search an area by referencing your F10 map?

I was thinking of using GPS JDAMs on the fly using those FAC given MGRS coordinates but I see now it's not meant for that?

Depends. If he asks for JDAM he will give you a 5+5 MGRS grid, at least it was like that in the A-10C.

For a Laser designation a 3+3 (100m area) is totally ok to point the bomb in the right direction and get good release parameters. When we get the TPOD we can search the area and get precise point track.

Keep in mind, IRL the JTAC often only can say a certain compound or small Woodline is where the fire is coming from. Thus he would give the area and a description.

DCS JTAC is missing the talk on a human can do...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It's the proper procedure to use the exact ordnance the controller asks for. It's technically all his once you give him the JCAS check-in and he may be planning to use that JDAM for something else he can't lase.

Edited by Terry T.

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

None of what I'm saying is based on rw experience but on what I learned from reading and talking to military personnel (so please correct me if I'm wrong):

For comm brevity FACs will omit the first characters of the MGRS coordinates because it's quite unnecessary - you're obviously flying over that portion of the Earth already. They'll try to be as precise as possible, but usually a 100 x 100 grid is what you'll get. No need to be more precise when a) they're lasing it for you or b) you're given a description of the target, a 100x100m square to search and you have atflir or Lpod.

How do I search for the target given the 3,3 digit FAC coords? Do I use the F10 map? The F10 map gives squares in “10s”. For example PB45 and next square is PB55. So if FAC says PB50 we just interpolate and estimate? Sorry, am new to MGRS concepts.

On a related note, in the ME, how do you get the FAC to use AGM65E? I selected “guided” and under that list there are “bombs” and other abbreviations that I do not understand. Is there a way to force FAC to lase?

Thanks!

How do I search for the target given the 3,3 digit FAC coords? Do I use the F10 map? The F10 map gives squares in “10s”. For example PB45 and next square is PB55. So if FAC says PB50 we just interpolate and estimate? Sorry, am new to MGRS concepts.

On a related note, in the ME, how do you get the FAC to use AGM65E? I selected “guided” and under that list there are “bombs” and other abbreviations that I do not understand. Is there a way to force FAC to lase?

Thanks!

Yep, pretty much this.

PB 4xx 5yy is the square on the map. It's the 10 km x 10 km square.

Let's say you want to find PB 432 567

Now from the southwest corner go of the PB 4 5 grid go east for 3 km and 200 m then go north 6 km and 700 m... that's where the 100 m x 100 m area is.

On a real paper map there is a handy tool you use, but you can do this with the measure tool in the F10 map and switching coordinate system displayed with LALT+Z (it changed after! you move the mouse again).

Shagrat

In a area that has a identifiable areas, 100 x 100 meter area is easy to use but when it is a forest, it is inaccurate. And if it is a urban area, it can very well be a 4-5 houses off from the target

But if it is like a one building or a two trees and a road, it is accurate enough if you are told what you are looking for, like "The gas station next to road".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yep, pretty much this.

PB 4xx 5yy is the square on the map. It's the 10 km x 10 km square.

Let's say you want to find PB 432 567

Now from the southwest corner go of the PB 4 5 grid go east for 3 km and 200 m then go north 6 km and 700 m... that's where the 100 m x 100 m area is.

On a real paper map there is a handy tool you use, but you can do this with the measure tool in the F10 map and switching coordinate system displayed with LALT+Z (it changed after! you move the mouse again).

Thanks! I get it now with some 101 from here also - http://www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/http:/www.users.on.net/~jase_ash/styled-9/styled-3/index.html

ztocYXt.jpg

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN