New VR labels

Paletus

hola:

Perdon por mi ingles, estoy usando el traductor de google para hacer este post.

Ante todo agradecer por al ayuda a Hippo, que tuvo la paciencia de explicarme el funcionamiento del archivo LABELS.LUA.

Aqui os dejo el archivo LABELS.LUA modificado para que la deteccion de blancos en realidad virtual sea mejor, y los targets se puedan ver a distancias mas ajustadas a la realidad.

Los blancos aereos funcionan asi:

A 23 km (12.5 nm) Se empezara a ver la etiqueta, esta tendra forma de punto, y tendra un color gris muy difuminado, casi no visible

A 18 km (10 nm) la etiqueta sera un poco mas visible

A 15 km (8 nm) la etiqueta sera medianamente visible

A 10 km (5 nm) la etiqueta sera perfectamente visible ,el color sera gris oscuro

A 7km (3.5 nm) la etiqueta empezara a no verse, siendo sustituido por la grafico real del avion

A 4 km (2nm) la etiqueta casi sera invisible ,pudiendo verse el avion perfectamente

A 2 km (1nm) la etiqueta sera completamente invisible

Con los blancos de tierra ocurrira exactamente lo mismo, pero seran visibles a menos distancia y la etiqueta sera invisible antes, justo cuando el objeto se vea bien en realidad virtual.

Resumiendo, cuando el blanco no sea visible pero empieza a serlo en la vida real, las etiquetas empezaran a verse suavenmente, para despues hacerse mas solidas segun te acercas, y finalmente desaparecer cuando la relidad virtual ya represente el objetivo.

Estas etiquetas estan diseñadas para usarse con un Pixel Density de 1.5 y sin usar el virtual zoom.

Hello:

Sorry for my English, I'm using the google translator to make this post.

First of all thank for the help to Hippo, who had the patience to explain the operation of the file LABELS.LUA

Here I leave the file LABELS.LUA modified so that the detection of targets in virtual reality is better, and the targets can be seen at more adjusted distances to reality.

Air targets work like this:

At 23 km (12.5 nm) You will start to see the label, it will have a dot shape, and it will have a very diffused gray color, almost invisible

At 18 km (10 nm) the label will be a little more visible

At 15 km (8 nm) the label will be fairly visible

At 10 km (5 nm) the label will be perfectly visible, the color will be dark gray

At 7km (3.5 nm) the label will begin to be unseen, being replaced by the actual airplane graphic

At 4 km (2nm) the label will be almost invisible, the plane can be seen perfectly

At 2 km (1nm) the label will be completely invisible

With earth targets, exactly the same thing will happen, but they will be visible at a less distance and the label will be invisible before, just when the object looks good in virtual reality.

In short, when the target is not visible but begins to be in real life, the labels will begin to look softly, then become more solid as you approach, and finally disappear when the virtual reality represents the objective.

These labels are designed to be used with a Pixel Density of 1.5 and without using the virtual zoom.

Please use to edit Labels.Lua Notepad++,otherwise the changes will not be saved.

I also attach a screenshot explaining that it makes each value of the Labels.lua file

THX

Labelscreen.thumb.jpg.de0a82485c6bed7172568cd2e86c5163.jpg

Labels.lua

Edited by Paletus

Thanks a lot for sharing Paletus!

I will certainly give it a try.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you sure Notepad++ is required to change a .lua file? Around the time the A-10C was released I've been messing around in some .lua files, but I always just used regular Notepad.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I used to make this file the labels.lua of hippo and when I modified any value with the notepad, the labels disappeared, I could not change neither the color, nor the symbol, nothing, until I changed them using the notepad ++.

Please Sirrah, tell me what you think of the changes I've made in the labels.lua. If the spotting distance is good, if the targets appear realistically, if you think something should change, thank you

I'm doing a new edition of the labels.lua that will have a little more visibility, in a couple of days i upload it

Edited by Paletus

I used to make this file the labels.lua of hippo and when I modified any value with the notepad, the labels disappeared, I could not change neither the color, nor the symbol, nothing, until I changed them using the notepad ++.

Please Sirrah, tell me what you think of the changes I've made in the labels.lua. If the spotting distance is good, if the targets appear realistically, if you think something should change, thank you

I'm doing a new edition of the labels.lua that will have a little more visibility, in a couple of days i upload it

I just tested it and I like it! :thumbup:

It improves visibility quite a bit, but it still looks realistic. Until we have proper VR resolution headsets, I think this is a very good and simple way to improve visibility.

So far I only tested it in an A/A situation. Will try A/G tomorrow.

Thanks again Paletus. Given the few replies on your topic, it looks like not many of our fellow VR pilots here have tried this yet. They should. Looking forward to your updated labels.lua file.

By the way, I overwrited the original .lua with yours (after making a backup ;)) and so far everything seems to be working perfect.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thank you, will give it a shot this week sometime and report back

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Tested A/G today. This makes target spotting a whole lot better! I could actually see my ground targets before I started my attack dive, instead of 1000ft before plunging myself in the earth :P

Discovered one, pretty annoying, downside though. Labels are also visible when watching "through" clouds.

Would be awesome if there was a possibility to solve this.

System specs:

New version LABEL.LUA

Improvements:

Better visibility of targets at medium short distance.

Targets appear in a more gradual way.

The label (always a DOT) is smaller, adjusting more to reality.

Sirrah, the labels are hidden behind the clouds, I think it can not be done, I'm sorry.

Please, if someone has any suggestions or ideas that improve the labels, please tell me.

Pixel density -1.5, gamma - 2.2

I attach the new file LABEL.LUA.

regards

Labels.lua

Thanks for your efforts :thumbup:

Will try it later today

System specs:

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions..

1. Do I swap both the file inside config wiev in DCS, and in save games ??

2. Do I need to enforce lables in both the nission and in my settings...

In advance thanks.

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

You just need to copy the new labels.lua file into the config / view folder and overwrite the original. Do not forget to make a backup of the original file. Do not change anything in the savegames folder.

About the configuration,in gameplay setting you need to have clicked "use this options for all misions" and in the labels setting "dot only" . Of course if you are flying a mission and you disconnect the labels, you will not see the points that mark the objectives

You just need to copy the new labels.lua file into the config / view folder and overwrite the original. Do not forget to make a backup of the original file. Do not change anything in the savegames folder.

About the configuration,in gameplay setting you need to have clicked "use this options for all misions" and in the labels setting "dot only" . Of course if you are flying a mission and you disconnect the labels, you will not see the points that mark the objectives

Thank you for answering...

got one more question... the mile indicator (10NM) can that be removed ?

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

Mile indicator ???? I do not see any mile indicator, the only thing you have to see is a black dot on top of the targets that is becoming more visible as you approach them.

Send a screenshot, because something you are doing wrong. You have remembered to select in options, gameplay, label options, "dot only"

Mile indicator ???? I do not see any mile indicator, the only thing you have to see is a black dot on top of the targets that is becoming more visible as you approach them.

Send a screenshot, because something you are doing wrong. You have remembered to select in options, gameplay, label options, "dot only"

Did the following last night;

Did a clean up, then repair. Took your lua file, and swaped with lables.lua in dcs/config/view..

Set lables on (DOT only) in both gameplay and in mission options.

Attached is both the lua and the mission.

I get mile indicator still.:cry:

Labels.lua

NEWNEWNEW[BSE] A2A Training.miz

• 1 year later...
New version LABEL.LUA

Improvements:

Better visibility of targets at medium short distance.

Targets appear in a more gradual way.

The label (always a DOT) is smaller, adjusting more to reality.

Sirrah, the labels are hidden behind the clouds, I think it can not be done, I'm sorry.

Please, if someone has any suggestions or ideas that improve the labels, please tell me.

Pixel density -1.5, gamma - 2.2

I attach the new file LABEL.LUA.

regards

Hi, please, do you could modify the file just to have a bigger dot (preferably, as a circle)? I use Index with SS of 204% (80hz motion smoothing). I think is less barely noticeable in high SS settings.

In addition, I think that oppacity doesn´t work since 2.5.3 version (1,5 years ago).

I attached my labels.lua in my previous post, which I use in VR (instead of a dot, is a circle), the problem is that I don´t how of modify the oppacity parameters depending of viewing distance). In 2.5.3 It worked, but now, i think oppacity is bugged.

Can you help me to have oppacity but with a bigger "dot" symbol please?

Thanks

Edited by Gryzor