Help needed : C-135FR WIP Mod not showing in radio !

Hi everyone,

I'm in love with the M-2000C but I was quite disappointed of the refueling possibilities offered by DCS : S-3B or IL-78.

I know about the AdA Mod (which add the french tanker) but it seems discontinued or at least in pause.

So I started making my own mod in order to add the C-135FR, a modified version of the KC-135R with the Multi Refuel Point System (something like that) and the Boom to Drogue Adapter.

I'm not a 3D artist but I'm making a model by myself (even if I will need help with textures ... but not today !) while I'm using the KC-135's model included in DCS (for reference, animation, etc.).

The mod currently works half as it should : the C-135FR appears in the list of planes, in the encyclopedia and do basic things (takeoff, flights, landings). DCS doesn't crash and the KC-135 works as usual.

BUT

I can't call the C-135FR on the radio ... More precisely it doesn't appear in the comm menu ! But the KC-135 works as usual in the same conditions (both in the same mission/

TACAN also does not work, as if the plane wasn't on a list of "interacting aircraft" or a "tanker list".

I searched every KC-135 and IL-78-related keywords (name, "WorldID" ...) possible in every DCS .LUA files (thanks Notepad++) but I didn't found anything about comms or radio !

It's the last piece of code tweaking I need before being able to release a "test" version with my own 3D model (not fully detailed and without textures but that's not impossible to do !).

So if you have information, an idea, anything that could help me, please tell me ! :cry:

Just to motivate you, here are renderings of the current model :

855937C135FR2.png

907607C135FR5.png

198858C135FR4.png

926129C135FR6.png

And if you want to test it by yourself there is a JSGME-compatible .zip for DCS 1.5.6 (didn't check the compatibility with 2.0.X) but currently it's only the KC-135 model renamed and added to the plane lists of France and USA :music_whistling:

P.S.: I'm french, I'm young, and I'm human (oh really ?) so I make mistakes. If you see big ones about my English writing skills, tell me and I'll edit :)

JSGME_C-135FR_MOD_WIP.zip

• Like 2

"If someone want to fly, are wings going to grow in his back ? No. But enough will can lead to success. This is an important thing in life."

If I remember correctly, the tacan channel for a tanker is assigned in mission editor.

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Hi everyone,

I'm in love with the M-2000C but I was quite disappointed of the refueling possibilities offered by DCS : S-3B or IL-78.

I know about the AdA Mod (which add the french tanker) but it seems discontinued or at least in pause.

So I started making my own mod in order to add the C-135FR, a modified version of the KC-135R with the Multi Refuel Point System (something like that) and the Boom to Drogue Adapter.

I'm not a 3D artist but I'm making a model by myself (even if I will need help with textures ... but not today !) while I'm using the KC-135's model included in DCS (for reference, animation, etc.).

The mod currently works half as it should : the C-135FR appears in the list of planes, in the encyclopedia and do basic things (takeoff, flights, landings). DCS doesn't crash and the KC-135 works as usual.

BUT

I can't call the C-135FR on the radio ... More precisely it doesn't appear in the comm menu ! But the KC-135 works as usual in the same conditions (both in the same mission/

TACAN also does not work, as if the plane wasn't on a list of "interacting aircraft" or a "tanker list".

I searched every KC-135 and IL-78-related keywords (name, "WorldID" ...) possible in every DCS .LUA files (thanks Notepad++) but I didn't found anything about comms or radio !

It's the last piece of code tweaking I need before being able to release a "test" version with my own 3D model (not fully detailed and without textures but that's not impossible to do !).

So if you have information, an idea, anything that could help me, please tell me ! :cry:

Just to motivate you, here are renderings of the current model :

855937C135FR2.png

907607C135FR5.png

198858C135FR4.png

926129C135FR6.png

And if you want to test it by yourself there is a JSGME-compatible .zip for DCS 1.5.6 (didn't check the compatibility with 2.0.X) but currently it's only the KC-135 model renamed and added to the plane lists of France and USA :music_whistling:

P.S.: I'm french, I'm young, and I'm human (oh really ?) so I make mistakes. If you see big ones about my English writing skills, tell me and I'll edit :)

Je n'ai pas compris si tu fais voler en IA ton C-135k ou si tu le pilotes....

néanmoins regarde dans ton fichier Lua si tu as cette ligne:

attribute = {wsType_Air, wsType_Airplane, wsType_Cruiser, KC_135,

"Tankers",

pour qu'il se comporte éventuellement en ravitailleur en IA.

Mais on va le télécharger et Eric vas s'en occupé voir si on peux t'aider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Passion

If I remember correctly, the tacan channel for a tanker is assigned in mission editor.

You're right, and in fact I messed up my TACAN testing because it works :music_whistling:

Maybe I missed the A/A switch and didn't checked ...

Je n'ai pas compris si tu fais voler en IA ton C-135k ou si tu le pilotes....

néanmoins regarde dans ton fichier Lua si tu as cette ligne:

attribute = {wsType_Air, wsType_Airplane, wsType_Cruiser, KC_135,

"Tankers",

pour qu'il se comporte éventuellement en ravitailleur en IA.

Mais on va le télécharger et Eric vas s'en occupé voir si on peux t'aider

Pour le moment je compte juste laisser l'IA s'en occuper vu que DCS ne propose pas de mécanique de refuel d'un avion humain vers un autre (ou une IA).

Suite à ton message, j'ai essayé ce que tu me conseillais et malheureusement cela n'a rien changé.

Cependant j'ai découvert que le TACAN fonctionne bien comme il faut, avec C_135FR ou KC_135 dans le fichier lua.

J'en déduis que l'avion est quand même pris en compte par DCS, c'est déjà un bon début !

C'est très gentil à vous de m'aider :)

"If someone want to fly, are wings going to grow in his back ? No. But enough will can lead to success. This is an important thing in life."

IIRC Parts of the Tanker Code are still hardcoded somewhere.

So.

To Function, you have to piggy back an existing tanker's attributes using world ID, and your tanker refuel points need to match the tanker you chose or it breaks the system. and for the shape to load correctly, you need to use a defined shape from the shape table instead of a custom name.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

example

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70y1x1xrwkhawck/C-135FR%20example%20.zip?dl=0

unzip to

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\

WorldID = 28,

attribute = {wsType_Air, wsType_Airplane, wsType_Cruiser, C_135FR, IL_78, "Tankers",},

Use model arguments of "il-78m.edm"

WHAT KIND OF BLACK MAGIC DID YOU USE ?

That's working ... perfectly ...

In less than 24 hours the problem seems to be solved !

Thank you so much !

IIRC Parts of the Tanker Code are still hardcoded somewhere.

So.

To Function, you have to piggy back an existing tanker's attributes using world ID, and your tanker refuel points need to match the tanker you chose or it breaks the system. and for the shape to load correctly, you need to use a defined shape from the shape table instead of a custom name.

I think you're right because the "Tankers" tag alone didn't work.

However the refuel points can be modified without breaking the game (cdpkobra did it in his exemple) and the AI planes manage to refuel (not well in a Mirage because they don't use the refuel switch :doh: ).

So, I am both happy and sad to see that the "programming" part is overall finished and functional !

Happy : because it works :D

Sad : because I didn't managed to make it work myself :(

But it's ok ! I'll work on the 3D model to make it real and complete !

I think this topic is solved for now and I hope I don't need to come back asking for help (but I'll do if I need to).

When the mod will be usable (at least an animated 3D model) I'll post a new topic in the mod section with a full presentation, a changelog and things like that !

A really big thank to everybody which helped me so quickly (far beyond my hopes !) :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...