Operation Desert Rat - F/A-18C DCS Campaign

JayBird

Everyone,

The first mission of my F/A-18C Campaign is up for download. Campaign takes place within the year 2000 with US Navy and Air Force conducting operations within Iran.

Hopefully you all enjoy the first mission, I hope to have the remaining four out soon .

Campaign Briefing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zoWd4gIK2Wsen8PPOkETEGNVCSLYU1E-qPVz0mWC59s/edit?usp=sharing

ED Forums Download Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302124/

Mission 1 Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IPtbIVFYzydzLxNasp587508TPve2lYX

Mission 1 Briefing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17GHC2MKqgSJZeOU2RaVrGw4k2SrZnUJ2ieO-l6mlGrI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by JayBird

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Looks good, only thing i would say is to maybe keep a consideration of what additional SAM units might be deployed to or activated in the area. There are currently alot of inactive/empty sites which could in theory be setup quickly. It would go along with the thinking that an escalated iranian military focus in the region would be well on the way to beefing these air defences up a bit.

I only say this because generally with the exception of the s300 (which itself can be neutralized easily enough), it becomes an easy task to avoid these sites, so a few more never hurts. :)

I like it!

As a good Canadian boy, any chance of adding some RCAF hornets?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Looks good, only thing i would say is to maybe keep a consideration of what additional SAM units might be deployed to or activated in the area. There are currently alot of inactive/empty sites which could in theory be setup quickly. It would go along with the thinking that an escalated iranian military focus in the region would be well on the way to beefing these air defences up a bit.

I only say this because generally with the exception of the s300 (which itself can be neutralized easily enough), it becomes an easy task to avoid these sites, so a few more never hurts. :)

Thanks! I'm sure the Iranians will be able to deploy a good amount of air defense with the 72 hours.

I like it!

As a good Canadian boy, any chance of adding some RCAF hornets?

No CF-188s in this campaign, focusing on carrier operations.

I have plans for a Red Flag campaign following this and Canadians love a Vegas trip in the winter ;)

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

..... this and Canadians love a Vegas trip in the winter ;)

Snowbird!!! ;):lol:

thanks for putting this together, I'll also check it out. (But first, this morning some cooler weather in AZ. Perfect for taking out the ATV...)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I've completed all of the documentation for the first mission, I have about 20 minutes of work in the actual mission itself to finish.

Mission "should" be up for download Sunday evening at 2300EST

First mission is posted!

Very nice mission, thanks man! But when another 4 mussions will be added into campaign?

And is that campaign include new units - SAM SA-2, HY-2 missile, Rapier SAM and others?

Thanks! Next mission is planned to be released sometime next week, third could follow soon afterwards. Fourth and fifth will likely be November.

HY-2 missile will be present until its destroyed. For the two SAMs the US has no intelligence of them being present in the southern portion of Iran at this time. In other words, you'll have to find out ;)

looking forward to trying this!

Please let me know what you think and if you record/post any videos please link them here, I'd love to see them!

Jaybird, I have to say this mission was incredible. It was immersive, realistic and fun. My very first night time tanker connection and my first night time trap happened during this mission. I love it. It was cool watching the whole world happen around me as I flew the mission.

What would I change? hmmmmmmm... It'd be nice to have a KC-130 on a track somewhere... I honestly cannot think of anything else. Reminds me of the good ole days when I was in the Navy. Keep them coming.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

That means a lot man thank you.

I was working on the second mission last night, couple things to fix with the AI being total idiots but it hopefully itll be out before the end of the weekend.

Biggest reason a KC-130 is not present is the US has not gained air superiority within the Gulf region, especially over Iran. So it would be very unlikely they'd send as valuable of an asset in there, next mission once again a KC-130 will not be there. It's a deep strike far into Indian country, but gas should not be an issue.

VMGR will make an appearance though!

Sneakpeak for the next mission:

Word of advise, don't fly this mission like I did ;)

• 1 month later...

OK, so perhaps I missed something, but...

I found the mission briefing extremely confusing. It briefs me to go into the marshall stack at Angles 16, and push at minute :33. So, I go to angels 16, 31 DME behind the boat and push at minute 33. But it seems like I'm way behind everything, then I see there's a waypoint called marshall that is nowhere near where I'd expect the marshall stack to be. At this point I just quit the mission as I was nowhere near where I was supposed to be.

So, question: am I expected to follow the flightplan, or go into the marshall stack?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

OK, so perhaps I missed something, but...

I found the mission briefing extremely confusing. It briefs me to go into the marshall stack at Angles 16, and push at minute :33. So, I go to angels 16, 31 DME behind the boat and push at minute 33. But it seems like I'm way behind everything, then I see there's a waypoint called marshall that is nowhere near where I'd expect the marshall stack to be. At this point I just quit the mission as I was nowhere near where I was supposed to be.

So, question: am I expected to follow the flightplan, or go into the marshall stack?

I guess my verbiage could be corrected a bit. You should move from the carrier to the "Marshall Stack" at waypoint 3. When there you should see the Tomcats and Eagles orbiting until their pushtimes.

From waypoint 3 you should be able to follow the other aircraft in towards your target.

I'll update the briefing documents for the next missions. The second mission is nearing completion, I'll have it out as soon as I can.

I guess my verbiage could be corrected a bit. You should move from the carrier to the "Marshall Stack" at waypoint 3. When there you should see the Tomcats and Eagles orbiting until their pushtimes.

From waypoint 3 you should be able to follow the other aircraft in towards your target.

I'll update the briefing documents for the next missions. The second mission is nearing completion, I'll have it out as soon as I can.

Thx, I ran it that way and all went well. Bombed the airbase, killed some migs, all good, thanks!

Just to confirm, aside from the flow wpt 9 message, there are no mission success messages or anything of the sort?

Thx, I ran it that way and all went well. Bombed the airbase, killed some migs, all good, thanks!

Just to confirm, aside from the flow wpt 9 message, there are no mission success messages or anything of the sort?

No unfortunately there isnt, in all of my testing I found there was no way to necessarily failed based off the Eagles doing work at the target.

Again, talking about future missions this will not always be the case.

Great mission, really immersive, lots of detail. I haven't played many night-time missions so that presented some new challenges, really liked that it was a cold start, that I had to marshall and was presented with a push time as well as a host of other timings to stick to. Was a bit worried about fuel toward the end but managed to connect to the S-3B on the way back (I don't often manage this, especially at night) then ending with a coughshortenedcough case 3 approach.

I definitely learned a few things tonight! Thanks Jaybird!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great mission, really immersive, lots of detail. I haven't played many night-time missions so that presented some new challenges, really liked that it was a cold start, that I had to marshall and was presented with a push time as well as a host of other timings to stick to. Was a bit worried about fuel toward the end but managed to connect to the S-3B on the way back (I don't often manage this, especially at night) then ending with a coughshortenedcough case 3 approach.

I definitely learned a few things tonight! Thanks Jaybird!

Hey Oraton, glad you enjoyed the mission! Fuel can definitely be a worry which was intentional, it is possible to complete the mission without refuelling but you need to be real steady on throttle inputs on your way into the target and on the way out, which is why theres two tankers in close proximity to the AO.

I've got this next week working remote for school, I'm going to do my best to have the second mission released this week .

• 2 weeks later...
I cant seam to see the campaign in the game for some reason..

I'd suggest looking under the Missions section as it's not a campaign just a single mission

• 4 weeks later...