AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

I’ve read the thread; in which post has that been an official statement?

If you mean cellular data; cost/availability of mobile data vs mobile voice are two different things.

No official statement has been given AFAIK, but any smartphone can act as a wifi hot spot, and I'm sure the activation will cause very little data traffic.

• Like 1

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best regards.

Excuse me for coming out of the thread that you have been discussing, but I have an anguish ...

:( My question is, how can people like me use DCS World every day and suddenly I run out of internet for more than a week?

:mad: In many countries the internet is very stable and fast but in Venezuela unfortunately it is not like that.

A week ago I was restored to the internet after four months of inactivity, if four months ! ...

In my case, I do not want to be left out of this wonderful simulator, apart from the monetary investment that involves the purchase of the modules, which I have almost all of them as well as the scenarios ...

:huh: Excuse my poor English!

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

Best regards.

Excuse me for coming out of the thread that you have been discussing, but I have an anguish ...

:( My question is, how can people like me use DCS World every day and suddenly I run out of internet for more than a week?

:mad: In many countries the internet is very stable and fast but in Venezuela unfortunately it is not like that.

A week ago I was restored to the internet after four months of inactivity, if four months ! ...

In my case, I do not want to be left out of this wonderful simulator, apart from the monetary investment that involves the purchase of the modules, which I have almost all of them as well as the scenarios ...

:huh: Excuse my poor English!

Community managers have forwarded this very concern to the developers and certain solutions have been discussed, for example a lengthening of the period between activations to possible per-account-basis postponement of authentication dependant on individual circumstances to telephonically contacting support for manual authentication.

We will just have to wait and see what the developers come back with. You can however rest assured that your concern has been raised and they are aware of it :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

After reading the last few pages I am very happy that I did not buy the Harrier. Obviously it's your product ED, but I can't see myself buying any more modules with this new system in place, my internet connection is far to flakey to take the risk of being locked out of modules I have paid for.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

You mean the ones that specifically state that the product requires internet activation?

That has been around for ages already.

As an aside, did you specifically think that that meant only a single once-off activation, even though it does not state anywhere that you will only need to activate once? On the contrary, as governed by the DRM you agreed to at purchase, you can have multiple activations in the space of a couple of days or none at all in a year at present, not dependent on the terms of the contract of use and enjoyment but rather on the terms of the DRM.

One needs to be careful when relying on the current wording. Can be interpreted equally well to fit both sides of the argument.

I suggest you look up the Consumer Rights Act 2015 section 34.

Unclear wording does not cut it. Period.

I say again EDs legal department should be looking into it. It is not for either of us to make a judgement. It is easy to pontificate when one bears no responsibility.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I am not certain by what you mean as an 'official' statement. The part where online authentication is required or the part where a cellular phone will suffice?

The part that I quoted above implied only a voice line was need, not an internet connection. Cellular data *is* an internet connection. Cellular data may be part and parcel with voice in Texas, but that is not universal.

After reading the last few pages I am very happy that I did not buy the Harrier. Obviously it's your product ED, but I can't see myself buying any more modules with this new system in place, my internet connection is far to flakey to take the risk of being locked out of modules I have paid for.

Perhaps ED could start new system with 2.5 merge. That way, everyone on existing system is not disadvantaged,and it's a clearly defined break.

Perhaps ED could start new system with 2.5 merge. That way, everyone on existing system is not disadvantaged,and it's a clearly defined break.

It's too late for that. The new system is already up and running, for the Harrier.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The part that I quoted above implied only a voice line was need, not an internet connection. Cellular data *is* an internet connection. Cellular data may be part and parcel with voice in Texas, but that is not universal.

Yeah, my apologies for being vague. Not intentional.

I did however state in post #328 that telephonic authentication as a possible means has been raised in this thread and will no doubt be seen by the developers and considered as a possible solution in extreme circumstances, obviously dependant on the relevant DRM limitations themselves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You use your cellular phone as a mobile hot-spot. You connect to your cellular phone via the wireless network set up on your cellular phone and you attend to the authentication.

You assume that people have any kind of mobile cellphone that supports this. Many people don't have them, I personally don't own any wireless capable devices nor would I be able to 'tether' myself a internet via mobile connection to activate.

-------

Now I am actually little appalled that people from a point of authority follow a line of argument a long the lines "If you post this, you have internet and this doesn't really concern you" ... Doesn't really help! Even as a bystander that triggered me a bit, maybe you should consider that when trying to 'defuse' a discussion. :D

The problem I think is that mostly everyone can identify with a situation where he had through whatever circumstances for a long time no internet connection, that may heat up the debate a bit.

Generally new DRM: YAY! Thank god! Finally. This is great news. All the way in the right direction I believe, Starforce has had it's good run with DCS, if you look at the relevant piracy places you will notice DCS gloriously absent from them.

But if the new DCS-DRM can deliver the same protection from piracy, I am pretty sure is not on a technical level depending on a time frame for reactivation but other factors. Giving people a generous offline period (2-4 weeks) should placate everyone concerned the same way 30d license refreshment for Starforce did.

Please ED don't get discouraged by this (lively) discussion. The devil is in the detail. :)

Edited by ApoNOOB
  • Like 1

If that is the case then it's not helpful that you post, we need real data from people that this will directly be effected. I dont come on here to argue for my health, I am trying to get info that would help change something, if it's needed.

As an example, a person on Hoggit suggested a week would work better for him during deployments, that was good feedback and something I can take to ED.

Let others speak for themselves, they dont need you to speak for them.

I live on a yacht and play using mobile wifi. I quite often travel and I am out of phone and internet for extended periods of time. does this mean I wont be able to play offline with all of my aircraft that have cost me many hundreds of dollars?

I fail to see how (almost)always online drm equates to starforce drm to some users, while the difference of how it manages your access to products has to be appalling even to laymen. It can be sugarcoated, pulling at words and playing with semantics, it doesn't change a thing on what it is.

I consider myself an average user in terms of how often I buy new PC, so one activation per machine was pretty alright for me, esp. since the last activation refreshes itself once a month or so I heard. At steam store page it read: Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Starforce ProActive 10 machine activation limit. Only one exception where I had to activate more than once was in case of broken drm of pre-patch mig21, but even that didn't deplete the limit on my end.

I.e. in my experience it performed how it was advertised/sold and I take starforce as once per machine activation affair (which is no chore to do really, once in a couple of years in my case). On top of it the activation can be done outside of the target PC itself from what I gather (e.g. call, sms, fax, email, web) so your target PC doesn't even need to be online at all for activation.

Compare it to (almost)always online drm with direct validation every couple of days, otherwise no joy and possibly shafted customer calling support across the globe during their internet outage (at best, if phone support even becomes an option in this case that is). Despite it might not affect me personally right now at least, the idea is just plain wrong in my opinion and I understand everyone who is feeling slightly miffed by this move.

Or is this becoming a MMO now, like World of Warcraft®? I understand always online there, since it's designed as multiplayer-only pretty much, but in this case? Ridiculous...

• Like 1

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

I live on a yacht and play using mobile wifi. I quite often travel and I am out of phone and internet for extended periods of time. does this mean I wont be able to play offline with all of my aircraft that have cost me many hundreds of dollars?

Huggy98,

This was posted by C0ff, an Eagle Dynamics employee

It works this way:

Each time you log in, you get authorization data, which is valid for the next N days, currently 3.

If you don't log in after that, authorization data expires and has to be renewed. That's it.

So if you are without connectivity, longer than 3 days(under evaluation) since your last login to your username account, the Harrier AV-8B Single player nor Multiplayer(obviously because you have no connectivity) will not function.

The plan is to retroactively implement this to all DCS World Modules at a later date.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

You assume that people have any kind of mobile cellphone that supports this. Many people don't have them, I personally don't own any wireless capable devices nor would I be able to 'tether' myself a internet via mobile connection to activate.

-------

Now I am actually little appalled that people from a point of authority follow a line of argument a long the lines "If you post this, you have internet and this doesn't really concern you" ... Doesn't really help! Even as a bystander that triggered me a bit, maybe you should consider that when trying to 'defuse' a discussion. :D

The problem I think is that mostly everyone can identify with a situation where he had through whatever circumstances for a long time no internet connection, that may heat up the debate a bit.

Generally new DRM: YAY! Thank god! Finally. This is great news. All the way in the right direction I believe, Starforce has had it's good run with DCS, if you look at the relevant piracy places you will notice DCS gloriously absent from them.

But if the new DCS-DRM can deliver the same protection from piracy, I am pretty sure is not on a technical level depending on a time frame for reactivation but other factors. Giving people a generous offline period (2-4 weeks) should placate everyone concerned the same way 30d license refreshment for Starforce did.

Please ED don't get discouraged by this (lively) discussion. The devil is in the detail. :)

All this has got my mind ticking away now and sleep and I appear to be mutually exclusive tonight. Hate it when the brain will not shut down.

Anyway, re your post. I think everyone on this thread wants ED to do well, none of us want to see their hard work getting sold down the market at £3 for a dodgy DVD containing a pirated Hornet ect.

Working in a global market also means that before they implement some change that involves a "valuable consideration" they must also seek legal advice from each part of the world they operate in (not saying they haven't already, but it is often overlooked).

Yes it is a lively discussion and a valuable chance to give feedback on the new change, but that is all, an exchange of views and all the posts I have seen have contributed and grown the thread constructively.

Lively discussions tend to tease out more info as many posters, instead of posting and running, find themselves having to come back and explain their reasoning in greater detail.

I would think that far from being discouraged, ED will find this thread raises some interesting points for them to consider.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

• ED Team
It's a suggestion for them to look at. Early days, I hope they will look at all options rather than shutting down responses of people who are trying be to be constructive rather than angry.

We are at 340+ posts in this thread, nobody is shutting down anything constructive...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I have a question about the time frame. What criteria were used in the decision process that resulted in the choice of only three days?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team

I would think that far from being discouraged, ED will find this thread raises some interesting points for them to consider.

I have submitted a few suggestions for ED to kick around, but they are all about improving the new system, not scrapping it, in the long run this will be better, as always, there will be a few hiccups, they will be worked through.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
I have a question about the time frame. What criteria were used in the decision process that resulted in the choice of only three days?

Only c0ff could probably answer that, but it was questioned when internal testers first got it, and not it's being questioned again. I hope to see it increased.

64Sig.png

Only c0ff could probably answer that, but it was questioned when internal testers first got it,.

Wow, so internal tester's input is not given much credence.

To elaborate...

ED tested this with the internal group of testers and they indicated that there was an issue.

ED released it to the public to see if they could get different results.

Generally, you test something in a small environment. If a problem arises you address it instead putting it in front of a larger environment and hoping for a different result.

Example: Is this drug safe? Well many of our small test group died so let us test it on a bigger group and see if a lower percentage of them die.

It isn't just the DRM that is flawed but the method that was used to come to the conclusion that it was a good plan.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

It seems it would make many happy if it could be how steam is setup, they allow you to select the option "Go Offline". Not sure if ED's new system can do this and still stay very secure from piracy.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It seems it would make many happy if it could be how steam is setup, they allow you to select the option "Go Offline". Not sure if ED's new system can do this and still stay very secure from piracy.

My vote is for a 30 calendar day expiration period.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

My vote is for a 30 calendar day expiration period.

Quite reasonable, IMHO. If my router goes south that gives me a reasonable amount of time to determine that the router is the source of the problem and procure a new one.

Quite reasonable, IMHO. If my router goes south that gives me a reasonable amount of time to determine that the router is the source of the problem and procure a new one.

We have the current three-day period. The Community is screaming for a month.

My vote would be for a two-week period. In this day and age with technology being what it is a two-week period is eminently reasonable in the circumstances.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]