Anyone running DCS on M.2 SSD? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #31
Pilotasso
Veteran

Reputation power: 150
Pilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud ofPilotasso has much to be proud of

In normal use the M.2 feels about 30% faster than a SATA SSD. However when your moving large files around or editing it becomes second to none.

Currently most games are single threaded bound when unpacking game files and THAT becomes your bottleneck, not the SSD. When optimizations are made then you'll see significant differences (in both SATA and M.2. however the later just runs away ahead then because of bandwith headroom)

They are doing this for star citizen but for DCS I dont think well see changes there any time soon.
Case: Corsair 400C
PSU: SEASONIC 760W Platinum
CPU: AMD RYZEN 1700X
MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4
Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO
RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red
GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals
Monitor: ASUS PB278Q IPS 27" LED 1440P
Pilotasso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #32
gholi

Reputation power: 0
gholi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gholi

David OC
Just for Hobby,I can tell you I caught a virus to build every 6 month a new computer in various case and I will build better than these two on the photos I am building by my technical man 2 other Platforms on I7 8700k and I have setup a private computer workshop for watercooling but i did not try to sell any of these because my real job is somthing else ,I will see ,if I decide to do for business it would be just for creating job because I am not intersted by the profit on those PC,as I make more money on my real job
gholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #33
BitMaster
Veteran

Reputation power: 19
BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholi View Post
David OC
Just for Hobby,I can tell you I caught a virus to build every 6 month a new computer in various case and I will build better than these two on the photos I am building by my technical man 2 other Platforms on I7 8700k and I have setup a private computer workshop for watercooling but i did not try to sell any of these because my real job is somthing else ,I will see ,if I decide to do for business it would be just for creating job because I am not intersted by the profit on those PC,as I make more money on my real job
Nice job, tho I personally prefer soft tubes, external radioators of BIG size and Koolance QC everywhere to quickly take it apart.

Maybe your next built will have a MoRa3 ??

I killed 3 top tier boards lately, Asus and MSI, since then I moved back by 1 step or two, less features but they seem to work better. Does your ME work flawless ? I had 2 of those and had to RMA them both for various errors.

You have good luck, 5.2/5.3 on a 7700k is great ! Mine only runs up to 5.1 ( still not delidded ).

Those 8700k's, oh boy, either I had damn good luck or the 8th series is superior in general. 1.325V is good to go for 5.2 and 82°C max p95_26.6. Still to be delidded too.

Again, nice machine(s) !
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K 5.2G - 32GB-3200 - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #34
Brixmis

Reputation power: 9
Brixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really nice

I have 1.5 on an 850evo SSD and 2.2 on a Crucial M2 525GB SSD. Both run well, but micro-stutters in VR are a regular feature (though it was all fine to start with).

I run P3Dv3 on the 850 and v4 on the M2 and v3 runs far better with framerates averaging well over 100. v4 stutters quite a bit.

NTTR runs smooth as silk on the M2, but have performance issues in Normandy (all in VR) so it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really.
Have to say, I'm really pleased I got the M2, especially as my Asus Z97 mobo only has 4 SATA slots, 3 of which have 850 ssd on them.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #35
gholi

Thanks BitMaster,

what you 're waiting for delidding your CPU,you are in Germany so you can buy a Delid kit from caseking and do it if your processor hits 5.1 then once delidded you can hit probably 5.2 at 1.37x

I already bought delid -mate 1 and 2 if I remember the name of casekings kits well and keep me posted once delidded about your result BUT COOLING IS VERY IMPORTANT and a nice watercooling makes your computer as an esthetical object and it gives you the desire to show your computer and put it on a table not Under the table
Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #36
BitMaster
Veteran

BitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really niceBitMaster is just really nice

My caseking delid kit is on BACK ORDER, he said "maybe in 1-2 weeks, but cant promise"..hence why. Got all the rest, thermal grizzly kryo and conductonaut + silicon, just the postman again, lazy bastard
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K 5.2G - 32GB-3200 - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #37
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholi View Post
Thanks BitMaster,

what you 're waiting for delidding your CPU,you are in Germany so you can buy a Delid kit from caseking and do it if your processor hits 5.1 then once delidded you can hit probably 5.2 at 1.37x

I already bought delid -mate 1 and 2 if I remember the name of casekings kits well and keep me posted once delidded about your result BUT COOLING IS VERY IMPORTANT and a nice watercooling makes your computer as an esthetical object and it gives you the desire to show your computer and put it on a table not Under the table
Esthetics are a matter of personal preferences. I define a rig's esthetics by it's very nature and purpose.
My PC is a tool, a weapon if you like, and the only beauty it got is through what she really is, a Computer with tubing, wires and cables going everywhere, only arranged to fulfill the compromise-free tool need, plain nothing else. Effective and as sleek as possible, hence the weapon aspect, leave away what is fuzzy, concentrate on reliability and maintenance friendly
arrangements inside, that has it's very own beauty, like a MiG-21 or Corsair F4-U,a woman could never understand this, my next door buddy, a car mechanic and OC fanatic sure does, Prost

A nice "tool" in common sense is my MBP, that is nice, even for my wife

Mine, is a brutal calculation monster that better clocks 1 Hz higher than putting lip stick on.
LED's dont make it faster, more reliable or anything like that. so do hard tubes, they only make it harder to work with, I woud never put looks above functionality, the weapon idea is prominent
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #38
gholi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
Esthetics are a matter of personal preferences. I define a rig's esthetics by it's very nature and purpose.
My PC is a tool, a weapon if you like, and the only beauty it got is through what she really is, a Computer with tubing, wires and cables going everywhere, only arranged to fulfill the compromise-free tool need, plain nothing else. Effective and as sleek as possible, hence the weapon aspect, leave away what is fuzzy, concentrate on reliability and maintenance friendly
arrangements inside, that has it's very own beauty, like a MiG-21 or Corsair F4-U,a woman could never understand this, my next door buddy, a car mechanic and OC fanatic sure does, Prost

A nice "tool" in common sense is my MBP, that is nice, even for my wife

Mine, is a brutal calculation monster that better clocks 1 Hz higher than putting lip stick on.
LED's dont make it faster, more reliable or anything like that. so do hard tubes, they only make it harder to work with, I woud never put looks above functionality, the weapon idea is prominent
everyone has their point of view that-do you want me to tell you
I hit 5.3 with no AVX with I7 8700k
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #39
gholi

I just wanted to say every one has it's own point of view,what do want me to tell you
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #40
BitMaster
Veteran

There are different ways to look at Computers, that's all no bad feelings attached.

5.3 with no AVX Offset and Prime95 with AVX or tested without AVX usage ?

Anyway, 5.3 is a landmark, wow.