Throttle/Stick Recommendations?

I know the best setup is the HOTAS Warthog set. But for now, I need something less expensive. Any suggestions? There are several options out there but it's hard to determine if the ratings are accurate. So I am coming to you folks with experience. Thanks!

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

I like the CH stuff . Lots of high-quality switches , and their stuff tends to last forever . The programming software is now poorly supported , but if you bind in DCS controls menu , as i do , that's a non-issue .

Less-expensive yet is the Thrustmaster T1600 . I have little experience with these , but those that do seem to like them . Hall-effect sensors for the axes (very nice) , and a twist-grip for the rudder as well . Biggest downside is fewer hotas switches .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Good info! Thanks Svsmokey! I've been checking out the Logitech X52 and X56 also.They look to be the plastic version of the Warthog set.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

I had an X52 Pro . I will never buy Saitek again .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Saitek sucks, whatever I bought from them never lasted, always failed and jammed, terrible sw support.

I hope Logitech fixes all that as their stuff is usually pretty good.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I like the CH stuff . Lots of high-quality switches , and their stuff tends to last forever . The programming software is now poorly supported , but if you bind in DCS controls menu , as i do , that's a non-issue .

Less-expensive yet is the Thrustmaster T1600 . I have little experience with these , but those that do seem to like them . Hall-effect sensors for the axes (very nice) , and a twist-grip for the rudder as well . Biggest downside is fewer hotas switches .

Consider looking at joytokey. I've been a long term user of CH sticks/throttles and switched to this once the CH software became too buggy/unreliable and haven't looked back if i'm honest.

Agree with others that the Saitek stuff is very hit and miss and you're probably better spending a bit more for something that'll last.

Thrustmaster T16000 deserves a look. Joystick is very accurate, has the same innards as the warthog. Throttle works well with the F18, has all the right buttons and the mini-joystick is nice. It has some downsides. Wish the stick had another hat switch, you can make it work with a function button. The twist z-axis breaks (no problem if you get the pedals). You need to lube the throttle. People don't like the pedals much but they are good enough for jets. But, it's hard to beat for the price.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

So the X52, X52 Pro, or X56 are trash? Ive looked at the T16000, but I don't really like the throttle - I like the realism of the rocking throttle better.

The best setup out there is Virpil. Ive had my warthog since day 1 and only had to replace the stick once...had to replace a few toggle switches here and there, and modded the throttle. BUT my virpil is very precise and I love it. I just dont like the plastic feel of the joystick; it doesnt feel like it has any meat behind it. Kinda pricey though.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Yeah, Virpil is pricey.

The more and more I read up on the T16000m, I think that might be the way to go until I'm ready for the full Warthog set up. PLENTY of buttons to map in cockpit!

I use the T16000m, throttle and stick and I have no problems. I do plan on upgrade to the Warthog stick but that is just so I can have more buttons on the stick itself and not the base. I love the responsiveness of the T16000 stick as it uses the same sensor as the Warthog. No complaints here. The throttle can be weird for some since it slides back and forth instead of around a pivot point, but I didn't have any issues there.

I use the T16000m, throttle and stick and I have no problems. I do plan on upgrade to the Warthog stick but that is just so I can have more buttons on the stick itself and not the base. I love the responsiveness of the T16000 stick as it uses the same sensor as the Warthog. No complaints here. The throttle can be weird for some since it slides back and forth instead of around a pivot point, but I didn't have any issues there.

Good to know! Of all the reviews and suggestions I read between the X52/X56 and the TM, the TM wins out every time. It's a shame that Logitech stuff is breaking, because their stuff looks so similar to the real thing.

Purchased! Thanks for all the input guys!

I love the responsiveness of the T16000 stick as it uses the same sensor as the Warthog.

I have to note that while it might have the same HAL effect sensor measuring the axis positions, the gimbal itself, while itself not a high quality one on the Warthog, presumably has a much better handling.

E.g. I have the older T16000 stick (the non HOTAS edition) that I use for old space sims and I find it too stiff to control precisely around the center area making slight aim adjustments needlessly hard as I keep overcompensating.

I kind of remember that the X52 Pro felt much easier around the center (though it's gimbal design was bad) though it was a long time ago and I gave it away so can't try it out again.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Update: I am not a fan of the sliding throttle; it sticks a bit. But I found some vids on YouTube showing how to lubricate it with silicone grease. I will tackle that one this week.

Re the stick: after a fair amount of use it doesn't feel as stiff

Re the throttle: main thing is to loosen the set screw, takes some trial and error to get that just right. Needs to be just barely enough to keep it from moving on its own. That and some lube makes it work well enough for "government work"

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Update: I am not a fan of the sliding throttle; it sticks a bit. But I found some vids on YouTube showing how to lubricate it with silicone grease. I will tackle that one this week.

Along with lubrication there is a small tension screw directly center of the throttle. If you move the throttle to halfway you can adjust the tension a little. Stickiness is an issue but after the lube it should move a bit easier.

I have to note that while it might have the same HAL effect sensor measuring the axis positions, the gimbal itself, while itself not a high quality one on the Warthog, presumably has a much better handling.

E.g. I have the older T16000 stick (the non HOTAS edition) that I use for old space sims and I find it too stiff to control precisely around the center area making slight aim adjustments needlessly hard as I keep overcompensating.

I kind of remember that the X52 Pro felt much easier around the center (though it's gimbal design was bad) though it was a long time ago and I gave it away so can't try it out again.

Yea it does suck to not be able to adjust the stick tension. I guess cause I fly with both on top of my desk I can rest my arm on the desk which helps me control without straining too much. The T16000 does have have it's cheap features for sure, but it has been an awesome launch pad for me. I did think about the X52 but the reviews kept me away from the newer models.

Yeah. I am considering the x56.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Returned the T16000m HOTAS. I believe I shouldn't have to crack something open and mod it just so it will work the way it's supposed to, having bought it brand new.

I got the Logitech (new grey) X56. I've read the reviews but think I have a good plan. Bought it "renewed" off Amazon for $200, paid $21 for the 3 year replacement plan. So if it starts to ge belly-up, I just get a new one. And I figure Logitech may get it right within that 3-year window. So far, this thing is great. So now I have a new question: Logitech setup through its software or just bind in DCS. I don't plan to use this HOTAS in any other sim.

Thoughts?

Agree with all the others about the Saitek/Logitech being crap. The design chews out wires on the throttle as you move it back and forth. The result is not so much death, but bit-by-bit organ failure. Buttons stop working. Or worse, give off ghost signals meaning you have to disable the mapping which makes them just as useless.

Your plan for a replacement assumes (hopes) that the failures start cropping up within 3 years. They may. Or they may not. Depends on frequency or amount of use and luck. Mine (X-56) with very heavy use start giving problems 8 months in. Maybe you will be very lucky.

As for Logitech getting it right? Would not count on that. Logitech has really made large cosmetic improvements (or changes anyway), but AFAIK the internals have not changed one bit since the Saitek days half a decade ago. But again, maybe you will be very lucky.

Good info, Bearfoot! If something doesn't crop up in three years, odds are they won't. Three years is a decent lifetime. Good thing is, REPLACE or REFUND. I'm good with that. That's like a three-year tryout in a worst case scenario. Maybe I get lucky, or maybe I have a refund to put towards the Warthog HOTAS. :)

Considering a new HOTAS as well, been looking at the Logitech X56, but have heard the horror stories, not a fan of the Warthog either, it doesn't have a twist axis, the only thing I see that fits the bill is the VKB Gladiator Mk II, but would need to replace the WWII stick with the Kosmosima space stick, and that you have to also buy the upgrade kit for it, which ends up being pricey, so back to looking at the X-56 - lol.

Considering a new HOTAS as well, been looking at the Logitech X56, but have heard the horror stories, not a fan of the Warthog either, it doesn't have a twist axis, the only thing I see that fits the bill is the VKB Gladiator Mk II, but would need to replace the WWII stick with the Kosmosima space stick, and that you have to also buy the upgrade kit for it, which ends up being pricey, so back to looking at the X-56 - lol.

I read some of those reviews as well, and it made me extremely hesitant. However, I noted the dates of the reviews and most were during the Saitek version. The Logitech (grey) versions seems pretty good so far. I like that the switches and switch guards on the throttle quadrant are metal, and they are toggle switches. That means they each can be bound to dual actions/commands. The throttle is smooth - no snags like the T16000m throttle. It is a bit stiff for my taste, even when loosened all the way, but I've read from other posts on the forum that this goes away after a couple of weeks' use.

When I booted up DCS and went in to set up axis/curves, the stick was not centered on either axis. I went into the Logitech software and ran the calibration for each and issue resolved.

I hope this helps you out.