Recommend me a new throttle

The antenna elevation pot of this cheapo $70 TM TWCS throttle died in less than 2 years.

What's a good replacement that also has an antenna elevation knob? It looks a CH throttle doesn't. It's not implement correctly on the F-16 at the moment, but I know it will be in the future.

Anything other than TM.:joystick:

--------------------------

Solved. It was not the pot that went bad. A brown wire severed in the base of the throttle. Soldering the ends back together fixes the output from the pot. This looks like a design flaw where the wires are put under repeated stress at one point through throttle motion.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I've done some light soldering before and fixed my msffb2. I'll see what I can do first I guess.

That Virpil is a fine product but way overkill for what I need. I don't want to take my hand off the throttle for additional switches and knobs.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

IMO your best bet is to just buy another TWCS. I've found them for $50 USD on sale and for 20 to 30$ USD used in as new condition. If the Virpil throttle is out of your price range or is overkill, I imagine the TM WH throttle is as well. The only other options really are the CH which you already mentioned, and the TWCS, so far as stand alone throttles go.

I used to be able to luck out and pick off TM Cougar Hotas for $50 to 100 CAD in great condition here in Canada a couple times per year, but it's been 18 months since I've found one that wasn't overpriced. If you can find a Cougar hotas/throttle, grabbing that and picking up a USB adapter is about the only other option I can think of, and will certainly cost more, probably 2x, than what a TWCS will.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I'm in Florida too and would give you a good price on a new in box Virpil throttle in you want high end. Shipping would be nothing compared to ordering from Europe. Perhaps your close enough to come get it?

It's waiting for YOU! :)

Edited by Wmacky

The antenna elevation pot of this cheapo $70 TM TWCS throttle died in less than 2 years.

It doesn't respond anymore? Or is there so much jitter/spike/noise it is barely usable?

Cause if the problem is sensor "noise" you could try to clean it and/or use a software with a noise filter. Such as Joystick Curve.

Edit : I can't think of any throttle that use contactless sensor even for their secondary axes. Unfortunately..

Edit : Winwing Throttle use hall effect sensor for its antenna elevation spring centered wheel.

Edited by Ant0ine

My TWCS has lasted years and does the job great - I would just buy another one of those lol.

Personally I am waiting for the VKB throttle.

NB: Adding Nyogel to the slider rails transforms it also - so smooth after that!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It doesn't respond anymore? Or is there so much jitter/spike/noise it is barely usable?

Cause if the problem is sensor "noise" you could try to clean it and/or use a software with a noise filter. Such as Joystick Curve.

It spikes like crazy and it doesn't respond. Seems to hover around the midpoint no matter the input and dances around.

Thanks for the good feedback everyone to my open ended question. This is why I came here and just asked people who know way more than me.

What's a good replacement that also has an antenna elevation knob? It looks a CH throttle doesn't. It's not implement correctly on the F-16 at the moment, but I know it will be in the future.

Anything other than TM.:joystick:

Winwing has an antenna elevation control.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Alternative, replace TWCS antenna pot, probable is this model (used in T.16000M twist axis):

https://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CTS-Electronic-Components/251B12T104A2NB/?qs=6E8igxPflKdliaNMymwp6A%3D%3D

Thanks, this was exactly the same pot that controls the antenna elevation. I bought a few from Mauser Electronics, replaced the pot, and the problem was still there!

Turns out there was a brown wire in the base of the joystick that somehow severed. The brown wire is not connected to the antenna pot in any way, but contacting its ends steadies the output from the pot.

Will edit the thread title with the solution in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

Alternative, replace TWCS antenna pot, probable is this model (used in T.16000M twist axis):

https://br.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CTS-Electronic-Components/251B12T104A2NB/?qs=6E8igxPflKdliaNMymwp6A%3D%3D

This is an excellent site.

I just broke my pinkie three way toggle on my WH left side throttle.

And my TM WH Stick right index finger switch just failed. Geeze - yes, they are both about 10 years old.

I'm still searching but there are sooooo many products to choose from. Would you happen to have a number reference in your files for this switch?

Any of your excellent help much appreciated Sokil1.

Cheers

Or find a used tm cougar hotas then convert to magnetic sensors and the throttle to usb by re4ly. I’m awaiting the parts from re4ly

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.