Hard Times and Expensive Hobby

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Depends on your system specs, wishes, expectations, available funds, etc.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have the Rift S , and it ran decently with an I5-6500 , 16gb ddr4-2133 and a 1070 . Audio sucks , and fixed ipd , but the graphics are much better than a CV1 , with almost exactly the same performance due to the 80hz vs 90 hz refresh rate . Still running it on the new pc , (same gpu) pending a G2 upgrade .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Both will take a hit on performance with the possibility that you lower your settings to keep your performance on the higher res monitor the same as on the old one.

Want a total new experience, i would go Rift S over the monitor (just beware that VR takes a hugh performance hit but once you settle with that...:pilotfly:).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I decided to go with the RiftS. I think its a solid choice and it will not break the bank - good enough resolution, painless to get up and running. Everything maxed out and still get the beset visuals it has to offer with an above average frame rate. My feelings were VR is no where near where it needs to be in its current state. I fly 70% monitor and 30% VR, for the immersion. When a headset is released that has things like foveated rendering, eye tracking, large fov, high resolution and refresh, I'll go all in on that headset, but the tech is nowhere near there yet, not to mention the DCS engine. Given the price of the RiftS I don't think you can go wrong.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Well...then you have made your decision i guess?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Rift S is overpriced.

everything is because of Covid19.

if you are lucky enough to find VR devices at pre-quarantine prices, it will be great.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I hear ya !

Cant decide if I should be saving for a bigger higher res monitor or RiftS

All indications are that Rift S is good but it’s a tough choice jump on VR now or wait and see what the next Rift looks like

Choosing a Monitor is an easier/safer choice. I have been eyeing the ASUS VG27AQ https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/

Because most VR owners seem to say that they also own a monitor

At this point I am leaning towards the monitor upgrade and waiting for the next Rift

Tough Choice my friend

I´m more interested in a curved ultrawide one.

It´s hard to find a 1.500 radius 1440p 37-38" though (they tend to fall in 34" or too wide for my taste).

Here are a couple of examples: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/304107-samsung-unveils-massive-49-inch-qled-q9-odyssey-monitor

And an almost free one;-): https://hardzone.es/noticias/perifericos/xiaomi-mi-34-monitor-gaming/

There are lots of them actually and at a good price.

Oled or microled ones with HDR 1000 at hi refresh rates will have to wait a little more (one or two years).

Even Samsung it´s ditching Qled monitors and changing towards Oled (but may be patent issues with Sony, etc).... and the covid thing.... things are getting delayed.

I´ll wait and see.

Edited by Leaderface

It is not expensive.

1) You likely use computer for other stuff too. So you need to split it between all other needs.

2) DCS World is free. It is up to you decide when to buy a module and in sales you can get with a price of two movie tickets, or far less than one good restaurant night out (depending your country etc)

3) It is your decision to choose what controls you use. Keyboard + Mouse is now the cheapest. Least immersive. A cheap 50 € joystick allows you to have far better control by flying with it and keyboard + mouse. But if you go to invest to high quality joystick, it goes from hundreds of euros to up depending your own decisions, joysticks that you likely don't use on anything else than flying.

4) If you decide to go for a VR, it can become expensive to chase the best by the specifications and time. But you can find a second hand 2016 models like Rift CV1 for very affordable prices with sensors to meet need for normal flying. Again, completely optiona, just like buying a "gaming chair" or anything else.

So almost any hobby can become expensive when you want to invest to it large amounts of money.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It is not expensive.

1) You likely use computer for other stuff too. So you need to split it between all other needs.

2) DCS World is free. It is up to you decide when to buy a module and in sales you can get with a price of two movie tickets, or far less than one good restaurant night out (depending your country etc)

3) It is your decision to choose what controls you use. Keyboard + Mouse is now the cheapest. Least immersive. A cheap 50 € joystick allows you to have far better control by flying with it and keyboard + mouse. But if you go to invest to high quality joystick, it goes from hundreds of euros to up depending your own decisions, joysticks that you likely don't use on anything else than flying.

4) If you decide to go for a VR, it can become expensive to chase the best by the specifications and time. But you can find a second hand 2016 models like Rift CV1 for very affordable prices with sensors to meet need for normal flying. Again, completely optiona, just like buying a "gaming chair" or anything else.

So almost any hobby can become expensive when you want to invest to it large amounts of money.

Agree:thumbup:

The initial outlay is the killer if wanting good fps in any sim.

My 1080ti was over $1000 AUD:cry:. Few years back and not upgrading, well not yet, she is still real good at 1440P and rift.

The new cards are cRazy. 2080ti is near 2K in AUD.

Started with cheap CH throttle and stick.

Slowly upgraded over the years. Now running a VKB $500 AUD and monstertech mounts mounts etc. Not a lot of $ if done over a few years for a hobby. There are plenty of hobby's that cost way more.

Was into RC planes at one point way back, that was more expensive depending on what you wanted to fly, how many and nitro fuel.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link