VR settings

Evening guys, I flew for the first in VR (RIFT S) this evening and what an experience it was. I have a couple of questions if you wouldnt mind answering. What is the recommended graphic settings to have? As I was getting some low FPS when low level near built up areas. Also the HUD and DBIs wasn’t that clear to read, not sure if my pixel settings were wrong. Anyway just curious how the rest of you VR guys have got your settings. Thanks again

Rig: |(CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache|ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING|32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)|11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080TI|2TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE|1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)|CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET|Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans Thermal Paste||RIFT S VR| TM HOTAS A10 Warthog :joystick:

Of course the clarity can be improved with better resolution panels and lenses. (A Reverb G2 for example).

But the stutterings..... that´s another question.....

Maybe an extraterrestial civilization may repair that.

It´s not your system. That´s for sure.

Turning shadows off helps a lot. Try that if you can live with lowered quality.

There is even a collection of shaders to degrade visuals that may help too, but, sincerely, it seems that VR is a hard pill to swallow on flight sims. And not only in DCS.

Anyway, stuttering seems to be alive and kicking on flat screens far more times than desired.

This is the link for that VR Shaders thread if you want to try and give us a bit of feedback: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

There is even a video resuming the thing with a couple of tricks:

How bad are your FPS numbers with the Rift?

Edited by Leaderface

Can I ask what you were flying what res and could you read the MFD's?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

My FPS was 35-45. I was flying with resolution 3840x2160 with all my settings on high

Rig: |(CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache|ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING|32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)|11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080TI|2TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE|1TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)|CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET|Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans Thermal Paste||RIFT S VR| TM HOTAS A10 Warthog :joystick:

I could kind of make out the MFDS. They weren’t very clear. Looked abit blurry.

This really blows my mind. He has a top rig and still has stutters, blurry mfd's etc.

Intel I7-10700K, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe, MSI Z490 ACE, RAM:64GB DDR4 3600, WIN 10-64, 1080Ti😩

Waiting on a good RTX

AH-64D|AV-88|A10CII|F15E|F16CM|FA18C|F14B|NV|PG|Syria|Synia

In my short experience with the Rift-S it's a case of turn settings down until you get performance you can live with. Using the Occulus Tray Tool and a PD of 1.6 my instruments look great but the stuttering is too much. 1.4-1.5 works for me but everything is that little bit less distinct. The map chosen also makes a big difference - Nevada is great for VR, the Channel map with all its myriad detail is much more challenging. That said, even with the limitations, there's no going back - it's VR all the way for me.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rig: Alienware Aurora R7, i7-8700, 32GB Ram, 2 x 1TB SSD, 2GB HDD, RTX 2080, Warthog HOTAS / Stick, T-Flight pedals, monitor and other bits

I too am trying to get things setup / configured for optimal VR.

Right now, I am running a 2080TI and an AMD 3800X + Vive Pro. About 10% off the metrics off, I assume, the king of the hill for DCS which would be an i9 9900K (correct me if I am wrong).

All of this runs on a Samsung SSD.

Shaders installed, medium settings. Running at 1.5 resolution via Steam VR. (PD in DCS is set to 1).

I am still playing around with it - but in an F16 on the CCIP training mission, I get a pretty steady 45fps with the rare stutter. It will go up to 90fps.

On the supercarrier case I mission, I was struggling to keep 35fps. All according to fpsvr.

Strangely, fpsvr shows the video card doing just fine, and the CPU in all orange. (Which I understand is not good).

Anyone have thoughts or comments on what area I might want to examine next?

I think we need DLSS 2.0 working on DCS and in VR.

I think it´s only for flat screen for the moment but people are traying on supersampling the render of the image and then downgrade it to the headset resolution with no great results.

It seems the contrarian aproach of using IA to upgrade the low res rendered image will aleviate the graphic bottleneck.

At least it could help to focus the problem only on the eternal lack of execution refinement on the DCS core.

Maybe translating to OpenXR would help?

I´m sure the people at ED are very aware over the problem but it´s no easy to solve and, in general, the VR tech is in its infancy and continously evolving.

Just in 2019-2020 it´s when we are getting the right mechanics on VR games. (Ones that are prevaling over many titles after lots of trial and errors).

So VR is starting now to have its main gaming caracteristics that differentiate it from the flat screen games.

Of course common physics and much of the other game mechanics doesn´t apply flying on a cockpit but we are trying to mimic that refinement over a game that was never designed for VR in the first place..... But feel so glorious in VR that you can´t ignore it. And things have to change to accommodate that.

And that will take time because the size of the ED team.

And the lack of standarization of VR isn´t helping. (You have to feel safe on anything so you can work with a timeframe in mind but it´s nonexistant in VR. It´s allways changing).

I think they could resolve the problem in a year or year and a half if they really focus hard on that. But I don´t expect they can focus that hard. (Too many fronts open).

Walking in VR on the insides of the Supercarrier, opening doors, etc.... It will be a great experience. And I think they wish to be able to do that. (Maybe someone should do a mod for HL Alyx on the Supercarrier, LOL)....

Let´s see.

Edited by Leaderface