Trackir 5 concerns.

switch to camera view (to see what the camera is seeing) then take a screen shot and post it here

I have trackir5 but I prefer to use the trackir4 software - works better for me

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

A screenshot will not show shimmering.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You dont have regular anti aliasing enabled! Turn on MSAA.

You can add super sampling (SSAA) on top if you can afford the performance hit. But 1.5 SSAA can not remove the jaggies without MSAA.

I would also set anisotropic filtering to max, there is basically no performance hit and it does make textures look better.

Edited by Vertigo72

Thank you. With MSAA enabled in game, I THINK I can see a difference. I take a big hit with MSAA and SSAA 1.5 together. I go from 40,50,60 fps to 24fps. So I will need to experiment. But at least I have something to chew on. Thanks to all.

I THINK I can see a difference.

You'll see a difference alright, certainly if it's between off and max. If you could set two games up side by side, one with Anti-Aliasing off and the other with it on, you'll could really notice the difference. But as you've already seen, your performance takes a hit. Time to play around...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

It just occurred to me 1.5x SSAA might actually be the worst possible setting for this problem. You are rendering a 50% higher resolution, so if you make small camera movements that shift the viewport by <1 pixel, every other frame that solid object may appear to jump one pixel because it just is or isnt rendered at that location at the higher resolution. Could be wrong, but it just sounds like a "wrong" setting, I would use 2x or none at all.

And if you are flying on a relatively high resolution monitor, with a less than uber GPU, not at all is probably your best bet. Just crank up MSAA and forget SSAA. Its primarily useful for low pixel densities, like on VR devices. Shimmering is a price they have to pay anyhow and beats not being able to read instruments.

To be honest, how many people know the difference between MSAA, FSAA, SSAA etc... and the effect if you combine them?

If they are not to be combined for whatever reason, it should not be posible to select. And them i'm looking in the first place to nVidia or AMD because you can select whatever combination you want in their settings at any given time, good or wrong. In the end people spend half of their playing time messin' around to find a setup and even then...

To be honest, how many people know the difference between MSAA, FSAA, SSAA etc... and the effect if you combine them?

True. They all do something similar, but subtly different with pro's and cons. But there is no obvious "ideal" way, so its up to the users to decide if they care more about being a little more blurry (FXAA) or incur a lot more performance hit (SSAA) or just want less jaggies (MSAA). And apparently it may also have an effect on shimmering with headtracking. I think its good we have the options, if you are not bothered then just click the presets.

But they can absolutely be combined, and you do combine the effects, both the good and bad ie performance hit cumulates too and so you may get diminishing results if you combine them.

Dont think FXAA works on DCS though. Maybe if you force it through the drivers. I should try as it is a "cheap" way to do antialiasing that relies on shaders and doesnt eat vram like MSAA. Has anyone tried?

edit: nVidia driver turn on FXAA by default for DCS. Either that, or I enabled it and forgot about it

Edited by Vertigo72