DCS Normandy Map not 100% accurate

Vikingo

Hi All,

I am extremely disappointed with the Normandy map. It is totally wrong!

Please take a look at the two attachments and compare them. They are both a birds-eye view of Carentan. One is the real map (Carentan 1944.JPG) and the other is.... I don't know what it is, to be frank, but it says Carentan and it is the map in DCS.

Carentan is just an example. Not one single part of the Normandy map is accurately depicted.

Can someone explain this to me, please?

Best,

Vikingo

1795052699_Carentan1944.thumb.JPG.7ea8b9178c1166557491d0206dfedfbf.JPG

Screen_200713_200241.thumb.png.8b45435a848444a7f6d12ecc1fab1da0.png

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I had a quick attempt at aligning the two images.

The rail line, major water ways and major urban areas somewhat match.

Finer details are missing.

I'm not sure what more should be expected for a map of this type and price.

DCS_Normandy_Test.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DimSim said:

I had a quick attempt at aligning the two images.

The rail line, major water ways and major urban areas somewhat match.

Finer details are missing.

I'm not sure what more should be expected for a map of this type and price.

DCS_Normandy_Test.jpg

The alignment you are showing is reasonable, but there are still big discrepancies with the village outline. If the entire map was like that, there would be less reason to complain.

People are pointed out things like discrepancies with building number and size which I think is asking too much. In my view, as long as the map closely approximates the layout of each village with things like rivers, lakes, and major roads along with iconic buildings, we can't really ask for more than that. But the Normandy map has numerous locations that don't align at all. The Marianas map for example appears to be much more accurate.  

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 2

The map was a dog's breakfast at first release. Much better now, but I guess it's all still based on that initial effort and a few things remain to be remedied.

It remains my last map of choice.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I really like that there is a Normandy map for obvious reasons, but it would be nice to see the Dev revisit the map and in addition to optimizing/fixing it, have a look at accuracy of the detail.

For example, the DCS map looks like it might be based more on the village of Carentan as it is today, and not from 1944. And when looking at a Google maps image, there is no large body of water west of the village.

carentan.jpeg

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

For example, the DCS map looks like it might be based more on the village of Carentan as it is today, and not from 1944. And when looking at a Google maps image, there is no large body of water west of the village.

The Germans had flooded parts of Normandy to delay the allied advance. When the Normandy map was still done by RRG 8 years ago it was part of their plan to depict this accurately.  That water body might be a leftover from this period.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/619858

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carentan

The_Road_To_Carentan.jpg

Carentan_-_Farmhouse_Attack.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good point. I never considered that, so thanks for bringing it up.

As a Normandy map owner, I probably wouldn't complain about detail at all based on the Carentan example. Although it looks as if built up areas around the village that didn't exist in WWII are included, I don't know what they represent exactly, or what the Devs used as a reference. At least the principal village and its main road are there, so I can live with it. But there are other areas that could use a revision in terms of the accuracy of detail.