Advise, RTX2080TI or New PC with 1080ti

metzger

Hi Guys,

I need an advise from the community. I have some budget for the PC and I am considering 2 options:

Replace GTX970 with RTX2080TI for my current system based on I7 4790 (not K), 16gigs of 1600mghz ram.

or buy a complete new system with 8700K 32 gigs ram but with 1080TI.

Which will be the better in your opinion ? I know we have no idea how rtx will be on the performance but still..

Thanks.

EDIT: I have Oculus rift and the plan is to buy the next gen as soon as available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Which will be the better in your opinion ? I know we have no idea how rtx will be on the performance but still..

That makes any response in this topic practically useless.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Go for 2080 TI as performance gain for VR should be around 50%, according to early leaks.

50% compared to 1080ti ?

I know it is smart to wait now, but the 970 is OC to max it can handle without burning and it is still struggling with everything low/off so I need more frames desperately :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It depends on how long you're willing to wait for a performance boost. On my old 5960X based machine, I got an enormous boost in VR on DCS when I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti, then I upgraded my whole system to a 8700K. Didn't notice much of a boost when I made that change, but as I've been finding out, going from a 5960X to an 8700K was almost more of a lateral move with processor power for gaming purposes. So, I don't really have any accurate data as to how much you might gain with a processor upgrade. Right now, it looks like the 2080ti is coming in right around $1100 bucks, so its almost twice as much as the 1080ti. The important thing there though is that, not that long ago, I paid around $1200.00 for the 1080ti. So, its all about how long you're willing to wait, and how much cash you're willing to plunk down.

Edited by eaglecash867
Corrected typo

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Go for 2080 TI as performance gain for VR should be around 50%, according to early leaks.

Most estimate is based on comparisons to 1080 and not 1080Ti. So you have to make sure to read the fine prints.

We're all waiting to see how much added bandwidth for memory and DDR6 memory will have on the overall performance of 2080Ti.

I hope it kicks some butt in VR, but we'll see shortly.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi Guys,

I need an advise from the community. I have some budget for the PC and I am considering 2 options:

Replace GTX970 with RTX2080TI for my current system based on I7 4790 (not K), 16gigs of 1600mghz ram.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have Oculus rift and the plan is to buy the next gen as soon as available.

I think the MB/CPU upgrade + 1080Ti would give you a lot of bang for the buck. And the problem is that most benchmarks will be with the latest CPUs. So you'll still be left wondering if 4790 (not overclocked) would become the bottleneck and your 2080Ti would be wasted.

Given the choice, I think I'd go with the bundle upgrade.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for the replies guys.

The thing is, Is 4790 will be a bottleneck with 2080ti or it can work fine for some time more or 1080ti with 8700 will will work better. As later on due to the new vr interface I will likely move to 2080ti and this 1080 will be a waste. At the same time if 4790 work fine and I can utilize 2080, then I can keep my current system for now.

I am not sure that even benchmarks will show anything as hansangb says, they will test with latest CPUs.

It will be good if someone that has not overclocked 4790 with 1080ti and share if he can fully utilize the 1080 or the cpu bottlenecks.

I know you can't know what is better for sure but having some more people opinions and experience will definitely help me decide.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

You are already bottlenecking a 1080 (let alone a 1080ti) with this cpu/memory combo. Going for a 2080ti won’t rectify this.

Honestly, I’d wait tell the 2080ti comes out and buy a used 1080ti then build the rig around 32 gig of memory. If you watch your memory usage today, you’ll probably find your at max. That means DCS is allocating cpu cycles to load and unload frames from memory and that’s taking time away from creating the rendering. I know, because I have your same setup (except mine is the K and I’m pretty significantly over locked.) You’ll never find DDR3 to upgrade your current board, so your best approach here would be to build a new cpu platform and save the bucks on the graphics card. Then wait a bit tell the 2080ti stabilizes and decide if you should upgrade the gpu or if the 1080ti does you plenty.

But again- this is all based upon speculation. Until performance comes out for the 2080ti doing something it wasn’t really designed for (rasterization- which is how DCS builds frames) , we are all guessing.

Good luck.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitly go for a whole new system. I do that too. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I've got a similar dilemma. I just bought an EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid (watercooled), which is due to be in my mailbox this afternoon, but my current system is an AMD FX-8350, 32Gb RAM. I'm seriously considering getting an 8700k right away, either from Amazon or Silicon Lottery, because I'm pretty sure that the 8350 is going to bottleneck the hell out of that card, but I'm wondering if the performance upgrade I'm going to get from going from a GTX-970 to the 1080Ti will keep me happy for a few months, or if I'm really missing out on some great performance by waiting. I also have the CV1, and plan on getting the next great thing within a couple years or so.

Edited by ElCuco68

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

My vote goes for new rig.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

New rig and don't buy the graphics card yet. Ebay is going to get quite a few 1080 and 1080ti models soon as people sell to fund the upgrade.

Theoretically. Benchmarks could come out and show the new 20 series cards offering a whopping 10% improvement in legacy games, which will make selling them at those prices a real problem for Nvidia. Regardless, OEMs will be selling cards in 6 weeks that are going to be cheaper than the pre-order Founders Edition cards.

Nvidia is keeping a very, very tight lid on pre-release reviewers, requiring extremely draconian NDAs being signed and tightly controlling the pre-distribution of release-day drivers. This kind of thing typically means early reviews may not be exactly glowing.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

On pure power alone it should be faster than 1080Ti, with newer architecture and more CUDA cores. Judging from crazy huge heatsinks on the AIB (Add In Board) partner cards it might overclock better also. Now whether all this is worth your money or not only you can tell.

If you are serious about VR though, you would want all the extra fps you can get and the 2080Ti would be the one to go for. Recent interview with NVIDIA's director of tech marketing states 35-45% improvement with legacy games.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

35-45% improvement seems a little high. lol.

i’d be surprised to even see 20% in the real world with real games.

It wasn’t designed to rasterize as its primary mission... I highly doubt we see numbers that high in legacy games. If we did, it would have been shown off at launch as that’s a massive improvement over the 1080ti. Instead, we got zero legacy numbers, a super tight NDA, and only numbers around ray tracing. Oh, and a crazy price increase.

Something is up with this launch and my gut says it’s because the 2080 is not great in legacy games. That’s pure speculation, but it’s what my gut is telling me.

TJ

On pure power alone it should be faster than 1080Ti, with newer architecture and more CUDA cores. Judging from crazy huge heatsinks on the AIB (Add In Board) partner cards it might overclock better also. Now whether all this is worth your money or not only you can tell.

If you are serious about VR though, you would want all the extra fps you can get and the 2080Ti would be the one to go for. Recent interview with NVIDIA's director of tech marketing states 35-45% improvement with legacy games.

You don’t build bigger heat sinks to allow the consumer to over clock easier. You build bigger heat sinks because it generates more heat.

Let’s wait to see when the cards hit shelves.

TJ

Anyway the 2080Ti is sold out everywhere, so don’t expect to get a hold of one anytime soon unless you already preordered or there is massive preorder cancellation before launch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Latest leaks showing the 2080 is only 6% faster than the 1080ti in rasterization. Now remember that nvidia shuffled their names around with the 2k series so the 2080 is most comparable to the 1080ti (the 2080ti is the old Titan and the Titan RTX is the old Quadro.)

I hope these leaks are wrong, but I wouldn’t be buying a 2080 based upon this unless it handled VR much better than the 1080ti.

TJ