What kind of content can we expect?

cuervo111

Hi,

I was considering buying this module. However it seems like there is not much content for it, right? No missions, no campaigns...

Is this supposed to be strictly a plane for doing training without any content apart from the training missions? Are there any plans for some combat missions. Maybe some challenges like formation flying?

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

Hi,

I was considering buying this module. However it seems like there is not much content for it, right? No missions, no campaigns...

Is this supposed to be strictly a plane for doing training without any content apart from the training missions? Are there any plans for some combat missions. Maybe some challenges like formation flying?

Yes, You have right. Models are great but no serious content here (like the campaign), pity. F-5E will have similar content like L-39.

I saw some kind of campaign done by user in Download section of DCS webpage (but I didnt download it so cant talk about the quality: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=3&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=247&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter ).

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm thinking about buying it too. Mostly for flying around, as I do with all the other planes, but I'm curious about answers for these questions as well.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, You have right. Models are great but no serious content here (like the campaign), pity. F-5E will have similar content like L-39.

I saw some kind of campaign done by user in Download section of DCS webpage (but I didnt download it so cant talk about the quality: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=3&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=247&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter ).

Yeah I saw that... and that's precisely the reason I asked because that is the only content I found, and it is not even designed for the 39!

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

Unfortunately the L-39 module lacks any real content, it's been a fun aircraft to teach with (easy to learn, hard to master) but after 9 months, I decided to move onto the Gazelle as, despite it's faults, it comes with a campaign and can be substituted for a Huey in existing MP CSAR/CTLD missions.

The lack of campaign in L-39 module is a real shame as it could have shown how with clever mission design, it might fit with rest of DCS's assets (as Belsimtek did with their Huey campaign) and/or allowed ED to fix some their weapons and damage modelling.

As it is, the L-39 does too little damage and dies to easily to ground fire that looks to have been balanced for FC3/A-10C.

The user campaign 'Outremer L-39ZA' is a converted Su-25T campaign using smoke markers/flares in place of FC3 waypoints and a rebalance of the ground forces. It's a fair attempt but can't by it's self, makeup for the lack of content from ED.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

That's a pity. I really hope ED and all the other devs start to pay more attention to content. Buying planes without anything to do with them is almost like buying a new Kindle without any books on it.

Can't agree.

It's like buying a Lego set without the instructions on how to build what's on the box cover; Usually not a problem at all, unless you have no creativity.

Of course, it's nice if you can use the instructions to build what's on the box cover, but who the hell stops there?

These are combat aircraft, with a built in "create your own mission editor", and a whole host of multiplayer servers, including one devoted to aerobatic flying if you don't feel like "blowing s#%# up".

Can't agree.

It's like buying a Lego set without the instructions on how to build what's on the box cover; Usually not a problem at all, unless you have no creativity.

Of course, it's nice if you can use the instructions to build what's on the box cover, but who the hell stops there?

These are combat aircraft, with a built in "create your own mission editor", and a whole host of multiplayer servers, including one devoted to aerobatic flying if you don't feel like "blowing s#%# up".

Can't agree :music_whistling:

Flying self made missions is boring as hell, because you always know too much. (least if you dont have dementia) :D

This is somekind combat aircraft but weapons are weak. Rokects in dcs have zero sharpnel effec so they are next to useless. (and this is been case all the way from FC series)

-haukka81

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flying self made missions is boring as hell, because you always know too much. (least if you dont have dementia) :D

You can never tell what your wingman will do in MP but agree with your main point as I often fly a mission several times in the editor to balance the units or ensure the triggers are working correctly before using it.

Creating missions for the L-39 can be fun and interesting but is a different experience and requires a different skill set to flying the L-39.

This is somekind combat aircraft but weapons are weak. Rockets in dcs have zero sharpnel effec so they are next to useless. (and this is been case all the way from FC series)
The shame is, the L-39ZA can be an effective and fun combat aircraft in a well designed mission.

I've used design elements from a couple of F-86 missions, along with static and moving convoys from Huey missions.

The L-39ZA suffers a big performance hit with a full load and seemed to die a little easier than the F-86 but it was it's light and ineffective bombs that made me look to the Huey for inspiration.

When I saw Waggs demo the L-39 flying through the floating 'rings', I was hopeful for a training campaign teaching circuits, patterns, ACM, etc.

Unfortunately we got an arcade race track.

As the 3d elements are static in 3d space, they seem of limited use but can be used to mark the "picture" for the turn to final, a turn/roll in to target, start of an aerobatic loop, etc.

In MP, it's easier to talk people though a manoeuvre or a tacview debrief but it still seems a missed opportunity for SP and an easy way for ED to have padded out their L-39 content.

After creating, half a dozen 'scratch pad' missions (not fit to share) for the L-39, it was ED's patches to their scripting engine that meant, missions although playable, didn't run as originally designed, that made me switch to the Gazelle (a change is as good as a rest).

None of which makes the L-39 simulation bad or changes the lack content.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Use MIST and stay creative!

You can always make missions that are totally randomized to alleviate the boredom of flying them again and again. I, for example, have a couple where I don't know where the enemy is, what's their strength and whether they decide to attack or stay put. And if they stay put, I then have to locate and destroy them by whatever means at my disposal - if I can!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Can't agree.

That's a fair point, whatever floats your boat.

However, I have very limited time to devote to flight simming and I want to spend that time flying, not designing missions. I actually designed a few missions in the past, like 15 years ago, but nowadays I have zero interest in buying a flight simulator and then having to spend my time in a mission editor.

It has nothing to do with a lack of creativity, I can assure you. And I bet there are lots of customers like me. I also think it makes little sense from a business perspective. It is like investing a lot in creating a super detailed aircraft and then missing the oppotunity to sell it to a lot of people for lack of content. Or at least I would assume more people would buy the module if it had the content...

my 2 cents

Strictly speaking, the module is an aircraft. A campaign, and plenty of missions ought to be included in any module package however, and the lack of such content is bound to affect sales to some extent.

I see that package as a stepping stone into a much bigger, in-depth environment though, and the availability of organised virtual squadrons, 3rd party missions and skins, and researching and implementing more realistic procedures etc has kept me in DCS World for years.

Don't let the lack of content stop you taking the plunge, because there is a very immersive world that goes along with these very thorough simulations. The L-39C and ZA package is the only trully multi-seat simulation, and finding a virtual squadron equipped with them could give endless hours of training and light combat sorties.

Take the plunge, and see beyond the omissions to the world beyond a short, and soon completed campaign or set of missions.

DCS actually has quite a large number of tools to fix this issue. You don't even need to know scripting. Granted it can be time consuming, but if you wanted a mission where you would never be able to guess what would happen, it is possible to make.

I've never actually flow any missions in DCS besides those created by users. That said, the involvement that can be required for doing that makes me appreciate why some people want missions included with aircraft. I used to put out missions every so often, but it's not something I get back into doing right now. I'm hoping by the time DCS 2.5 and/or Hormuz is released that I'll be able to get back into regular DCS mission building. L-39 combat missions are definitely something I want to try.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files