Newbie question about P51 throttle

Topcat357

I am finally getting around to starting the tutorials for the P51. I have the throttle on my Warthog HOTAS split, one side for throttle and one side for engine RPM (I copied this from one of the profiles someone had uploaded).

I noticed in the Take Off and Landing tutorials the instructor speaks about using Manifold pressure as a guide for take off and also setting the RPM to 2500 for landing. I am a bit confused about how to combine the throttle/manifold pressure with the RPM. Are these usually adjusted together? or separately? Are there certain RPM settings that are best for dogfighting?

I am not sure if my question is clear. Usually a throttle is fairly simple, lol :joystick:

Thanks

NB

Pretty new here but will take a stab at this.

The Prop Control lever sets the rpm of the constant speed prop. The prop will only see that rpm if there is sufficient manifold pressure (Throttle) or airspeed to get it there. once the set rpm is achieved, the prop will increase pitch when there is more manifold pressure, thus increasing speed. Prop control at the "Increase" setting, full forward, sets the rpm to 3000. This should only be used for take offs and combat settings and limited to around 5 minutes. Otherwise a good continuous setting for cruise is 2700. Once prop is set for the desired rpm. Throttle controls manifold pressure and in turn the amount of pitch the prop can get for that rpm setting. As with the prop control, higher manifold pressures should be kept to limited amount of times or risk overheating. Dives can cause rpm and ,if full throttle, manifold pressure to exceed there set ratings. Avoid this or risk damaging the engine.

So, to answer your questions, generally operated seperately and as mentioned, full rpm in combat.

Hope this helped,

Shahdoh

Edited by Shahdoh
  • Like 1

Good explanation Shahdoh.

Just keep in mind Topcat that it is a piston engine and not a jet engine. The throttle is exactly that in this case, throttling the intake of the engine, depriving it of what it needs to perform.

The RPM setting is a desired setting for the engine/prop to spin, being a constant speed prop.

So, if you want to achieve a certain prop speed, you have to open the throttle enough to achieve it. Once that point is reached, the prop pitch changes (prop angle of attack increases) so as not to go past the desired prop speed. As the angle of attack increases, you're pushing more air and developing more thrust.

But again, it is a piston engine, and like your car, you don't want to rev too high for too long, otherwise you overheat and destroy your engine.

Edited by Blarney

486DX w/turbo button

• 2 weeks later...
I am finally getting around to starting the tutorials for the P51. I have the throttle on my Warthog HOTAS split, one side for throttle and one side for engine RPM (I copied this from one of the profiles someone had uploaded).

I noticed in the Take Off and Landing tutorials the instructor speaks about using Manifold pressure as a guide for take off and also setting the RPM to 2500 for landing. I am a bit confused about how to combine the throttle/manifold pressure with the RPM. Are these usually adjusted together? or separately? Are there certain RPM settings that are best for dogfighting?

I am not sure if my question is clear. Usually a throttle is fairly simple, lol :joystick:

Thanks

NB

My friend, the main mission in this simulator is to preserve the engine. I use Maximum Continous @ 2700 RPM, 46 inHg, or Maximum Cruise @ 2400 RPM, 36 inHg.

Now comes the second part of your question: The M.P. FOLLOWS RPM, not the other way around.

Lastly, on shallow dives, reduce RPM first and follow suite with little M.P. changes..

Oh, the instructor,....

I usually reach takeoff speed at 50 inHg and 3000 RPM. I attempt to hasten takeoffs by rigorous rudder correction. I mean my legs are just fun to watch...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.