APU disable time, could someone explain? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
javelina1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Hmm.. so am I the only one here that has the APU still running while up in the air?

In that case I'd better go through the entire startup procedure again to see if I missed something.

I never have any cautions on when taking off, so I never thought about maybe forgetting something..

I encounter this from time to time as well. I follow a start sequence, which I bring up via my kneeboard.

At times the APU will shutoff while on the boat. Other times, it's still running after I launch and start my 1st turn. Then I notice the APU shutting off, because you can hear it.

Not sure why it does this. As noted, I follow the startup sequence in Chuck's manual, which I added into my kneeboard.

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Virpil WarBRD
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #12
erautour

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post

Not sure why it does this. As noted, I follow the startup sequence in Chuck's manual, which I added into my kneeboard.
The Chuck's guide is kinda more like a strategy guide than a manual. Make your kneeboard from the Natops manual and your APU won't be left on again. Step 17 is to verify the APU is off.
erautour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #13
sirrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by erautour View Post
The Chuck's guide is kinda more like a strategy guide than a manual. Make your kneeboard from the Natops manual and your APU won't be left on again. Step 17 is to verify the APU is off.
Is this the correct Natops manual?

Am I correct that the F/A-18C startup procedure can be found in chapter 10.2.1.2?

If so, I indeed see the APU must be switched off at step 20

Quote:
20. (ABC) APU -OFF
So does this mean it has to be switched off manually (officially then)?
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
xavnl

Quote:
The APU should turn off 1 minute after second generator comes on line AFAIK, is it not doing that for you?
I don't have the DCS F/A-18, talking based on the available manuals online.
MVSGAS is totally right. APU will come offline 1 minute after second engine, left one, is online, ie. L Gen caption is OFF.
It's in the NATOPS and implemented in DCS (I just checked it).
xavnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
xavnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Is this the correct Natops manual?

Am I correct that the F/A-18C startup procedure can be found in chapter 10.2.1.2?

If so, I indeed see the APU must be switched off at step 20

So does this mean it has to be switched off manually (officially then)?
It means you need to check it's OFF, nothing more, you have to check it in case the auto cut-off didn't work.
xavnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #16
sirrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavnl View Post
It means you need to check it's OFF, nothing more, you have to check it in case the auto cut-off didn't work.
So if the auto cut-off doesn't work, which seems to be the case not only for me (refering to javalina's post), we'll have to switch it off manually?
sirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #17
Frederf
Veteran

Chapter 10 is functional checkflight procedures and atypical. I think it's ensuring or setting APU off to check crossbleed start. Check section 7.1.5 which is normal flight.

APU is normally triggered to shut down 1 minute after both generators are online but can remain on if the bleed air augmentation system is in use. Yes you can always turn off the APU by setting the switch off.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
Charly_Owl

From the NATOPS (source page I-2-28)

2.4.2.1 APU Switch. The APU switch is a two-position switch with positions of ON and OFF

APU Switch - ON

Starts the start cycle of the APU. Switch is electrically held in the ON position
and automatically returns to OFF 1 minute after the second generator comes on
the line provided the bleed air knob is not in AUG PULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erautour View Post
"Make your own kneeboard from the Natops" is much easier said than done.

Also... I never pretended my introductory guide was anything close to a flight manual or a NATOPS-style manual. It's just to get the ball rolling. Think of it more like hand-written notes and reminders. Some people don't seem to be able to grasp this simple fact and get angry when they expect to see in this document something it's clearly not meant to be.

Last edited by Charly_Owl; 11-14-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Charly_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #19
SC86

I have always had it turn off before takeoff, I've been following the start-up procedure I have seen in a few of the videos online about starting the F 18. Even if I perform the fire check, then turn ground power on and start aligning my INS early, turn on my lights and displays, change my ordinance and whatever else, it still turns off a short time after my engines are both on, and long before taxiing to the runway.
SC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #20
MrDieing

I do not want to be that guy, but I'd rather say it before some moderator finds out and gives consequences to it.

Rule 1.16 Posting images, file links, and file sharing links of military aircraft documents newer than 1980 is strictly prohibited on our forums. Such posts will be removed.

And yes, its a rather new rule.
Years ago, when half the stuff we have now was a wish list. We just posted about rain effects, different seasons. We talked about different maps and aircraft. Now we have most of it, we have all this "elitist" come in that just want to post about what they deserve and what they are entitle to because they pay. They just keep crying and whining how horrible DCS is and how much they got robbed. They keep taking my shiny toy and trowing it in the trash because is not good enough for them.
MrDieing is offline   Reply With Quote