Strange Behavior When Starting

rassy7

I've started the Harrier several times with the procedure in this video. However, today, when I tried to start it I began seeing not only failed starts, but other strange behavior.

Has anyone else run into this or seen weird stuff like this?

I've also noticed after one failed start, in multiplayer or single player (doesn't matter), the engine whine from that failed start carries over to subsequent start attempts (in either multiplayer or single player) and the Master Caution no longer alerts.

Thanks

Edited by rassy7
Additional explanation

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Looking at your video, I think what is happening is sometimes what happens to me when the your physical throttle isn't synced up with your Virtual throttle. In the video your virtual throttle is twitching. It looks like virtual throttle is forward at idle and not all the way back. Try moving your physical throttle forward then all the way back. Also I release the throttle lock and move your throttle back also. See if that changes anything

Specs: It's a computer...it runs DCS....

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking at your video, I think what is happening is sometimes what happens to me when the your physical throttle isn't synced up with your Virtual throttle. In the video your virtual throttle is twitching. It looks like virtual throttle is forward at idle and not all the way back. Try moving your physical throttle forward then all the way back. Also I release the throttle lock and move your throttle back also. See if that changes anything
That's a good thought and makes sense. I'll fiddle with the throttle a little more and see if I can make some progress getting that initial start back.

Still curious about the sound and master caution though. Seems if I can't get it on that first try, my only course for resetting it is to quit to desktop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I've already been through this just recently.

99.9% of Harrier start ''issues'' are because the throttle is being bumped out of position. Do not touch the throttle until you're ready to leave idle. If it has jitter, you'll need to add a deadzone.

The way to test is flip the fuel shutoff valve on the throttle. It should drop back into spot. Flip the valve again and try to start the engine again.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I've already been through this just recently.

99.9% of Harrier start ''issues'' are because the throttle is being bumped out of position. Do not touch the throttle until you're ready to leave idle. If it has jitter, you'll need to add a deadzone.

The way to test is flip the fuel shutoff valve on the throttle. It should drop back into spot. Flip the valve again and try to start the engine again.

Ok, thanks. I definitely know what I need to mess with when I get home. It's weird to think of the throttle needing a dead zone. Doesn't the F-86 have a similar start? Maybe the Harrier should require a button press to move the throttle up so this doesn't happen.

Beyond that, during your trouble, did you ever encounter the Master Caution not lighting or that engine whine sound carrying over after nonstart? My fear is that even after I sort out the start issues, I'll get into a long-running multiplayer session and mess up the start, then have to QTD in order to reset it. If I'm hosting, that basically just precludes me from flying the Harrier for the rest of the mission.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

No, I mean your physical throttle. If the sensors are bad and jittery,it may be making the throttle move unintentionally. Has nothing to do with the module.

And yeah, if this happens, the master caution won't come on, because the start sequence isn't working.

All you have to do if you get a bad start, is flip the fuel shut off valve (little black switch on top of the throttle) up then down, you'll see the throttle itself move back into the detent.

Then flick the start engine switch again.

You don't need to qtd.

No, I mean your physical throttle. If the sensors are bad and jittery,it may be making the throttle move unintentionally. Has nothing to do with the module.

Ya I know what you meant. I have to move my other physical axes (wheel brakes, nozzles and STO stop) to sync them to the virtual ones. I'll just have to refrain from touching the actual throttle axis on my physical throttle until it's started. It shouldn't be jittering like that. Have an X52 Pro and it's been acting up.

And Ok, I'll try to get it started and recover from a failed start. FWIW, I had worked with that fuel shut off in the throttle. Found the mapped keypress and flicked it up and down, but when I was messing with it last night I wasn't able to get the sequence to reset appropriately with that. The throttle did slide back to the stop, at which point I'd flick it back, but still couldn't get the jet to fire up when starting the sequence over.

I'll take this and give it another go this evening and let you know. It would be amazing nit to have to bail on the whole game load to reset this issue each time, .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

Yeah, I dunno. Like said, I was fighting with the same thing, that's what it ended up being. I was convinced it was a glitch but nobody else was having it. I loaded a replay and noticed immediately the throttle had been bumped. Like you, I have the habit of immediately nudging my controls to be sure they're synced and that was what was getting me. In this case, it's a bad habit lol

In RL different aircraft have quirks and even flaws unique to them, many of which are modeled in game. One of the Hawk 'quirks' people complain about is actually a real world characteristi it has lol

Yeah, I dunno. Like said, I was fighting with the same thing, that's what it ended up being. I was convinced it was a glitch but nobody else was having it. I loaded a replay and noticed immediately the throttle had been bumped. Like you, I have the habit of immediately nudging my controls to be sure they're synced and that was what was getting me. In this case, it's a bad habit lol

In RL different aircraft have quirks and even flaws unique to them, many of which are modeled in game. One of the Hawk 'quirks' people complain about is actually a real world characteristi it has lol

Magical. That seemed to solve it. Such a frustrating issue. Hope other people find this helpful. Thanks again for your help. Still don't know why that engine whine is passed from one jet to another, but the key is never ever to have a no-start, .

Also, this may not be the place, but which HAWK quirk is that? I'm just curious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

I don't remember, offhand, hydraulics, I think. When you're on a landing approach, you have to keep your throttle up a little (no idling) or the tiny corrections you make with stick and such will bleed off all the hydraulic pressure resulting in a dead stick. Obviously, this is a bad thing. Anyway, it's easily avoided, you can throttle way down, just not to idle.

I don't remember, offhand, hydraulics, I think. When you're on a landing approach, you have to keep your throttle up a little (no idling) or the tiny corrections you make with stick and such will bleed off all the hydraulic pressure resulting in a dead stick. Obviously, this is a bad thing. Anyway, it's easily avoided, you can throttle way down, just not to idle.

Aahhh, was expecting to hear about the wheel brakes again. I hope they got those fixed. Haven't flown the HAWK in a while.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen