Please bring back object size settings!

Greekbull

As a someone who Sims in 4K visibility is greatly behind those that are running lower resolution. I know this is an issue for people who running VR as well. It would be great to have the ability to individually adjust aircraft and ground objects. I realize the issues in MP servers but simply allow the host to turn this option on or off. For many of us who fly cooperative missions it is almost impossible without a label mod to assist with seeing enemy AI.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fellow UHD monitor use, I must agree with the above post.

With a paused screen, knowing where the ‘bogey’ is and using max zoom, I can just about pick up a Spitfire-sized target at between 2 and 3 miles.

The use of labels doesn’t help much because of the other new ‘gotcha’ - I use a second monitor for my Helios and so the labels are considerably displaced and variable.

I can’t remember being shot down by the ‘hun in the sun’ so many times in one sortie - even without the sun!

I'll through my hat into this ring as well. Its something the future requires. 1080p is a thing of the past and VR next gen will still require it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I personally have an easier time seeing and especially identifying objects with a 4K screen. Responders above: Are you saying it’s more difficult? How can that be?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Responders above: Are you saying it’s more difficult? How can that be?

Yes, it is definitely more difficult to spot a target in 4k. A 4k pixel is smaller than a 1080p pixel... so, another distant aircraft is more difficult to spot in 4k.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Yes it is much harder to see air to air and ground objects in 4K. Pixel size is much smaller! Now the resolution is much better and clearer but objects are much smaller than they should at any distance.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

A 4k pixel is smaller than a 1080p pixel...

Be careful with this. Using the tool here (http://lcdtech.info/en/data/pixel.size.htm) so I don't have to do math by hand... Your 55" 4k screen has 0.317mm size pixels, but my 24" 1200p screen has 0.269mm size pixels.

I assume you are sitting more than 1 meter from your screen, which would make the pixels appear smaller.

Be careful with this. Using the tool here (http://lcdtech.info/en/data/pixel.size.htm) so I don't have to do math by hand... Your 55" 4k screen has 0.317mm size pixels, but my 24" 1200p screen has 0.269mm size pixels.

I assume you are sitting more than 1 meter from your screen, which would make the pixels appear smaller.

I'll assume your logic is correct. Given that I think it fair to say that a proper object sizing option becomes even more relevant if we are at all (as a community) interested in an even playing field.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm not looking to do this for a competitive advantage...again please make this an option that the host can turn off in a MP Server if desired...I'm just saying those running very high resolution are at a big disadvantage with object sizes. It would be nice to have the option to change that again. Thanks

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I rather have the problem that at 4K I see tiny details smaller than units but until I'm close or zoomed in fully, units or missile trails wont pop in.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

+1, Im tired of not being able too see properly.

Altitude is a disadvantage (contrary to irl) because it is almost impossible to spot the enemies below. So everyone and everything is hugging the ground, from a MiG-15 to F-15C. It is not fun or realistic. Only way to spot someone is by seeing the huge afterburner bigger than the jet itself.

It does not only concern long range spotting, but close in dogfights aswell.

SO PLEASE ED. ENABLE THIS FEATURE UNTIL YOU FIND ANOTHER SOLUTION. Maybe a aircraft/object scaling slider in options? Max value can be set on mp servers to prevent any "unfairness".

NineLine. Can you please bring this forward somehow? It is such an important element, way more so than a few new explosions or clouds. Especially for WWII / cold war aircraft wich does not have a radar or very simple ones. We need to see and have fun without labels again :)

Thx!

Best regards

Agreed: please at least give players and server admins the choice to toggle this setting if it would be considered "low hanging fruit" for the development. For reference, though, I would prefer server stability to be improved for large numbers of players.

VF-111 Sundowners

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Viper :: F-14 Tomcat :: F-18 Hornet :: A-10C Warthog :: AV-8B Harrier II :: AJS-37 Viggen :: Ka-50 Black Shark

vCG-1 callsign: Cloudy

As a VR pilot I echo this as well. 2.5 had improved slightly and properly setup labels help as well, but it's still chasing dots. Even with zoom you have to be really close to distinguish the type of plane.

Good smart scaling would help immensely.

Make it a server side setting to appease the MP purists. At least I could fly with better immersion in SP.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Would be nice to see the view system redone so that people with different monitor/resolutions see pretty much the same thing (like an auto scale built in). With my 34 inch 3440 X 1440 monitor I have little to no hope of seeing the single pixel without having to zoom in full... whereas someone with a lower resolution and/or playing on a TV will have a huge advantage since they will spot me way before I see them. When I fly in VR I can spot people from miles out.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

+1 for me as well

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

+1 for this and make it so that server can force it. And resolution scaling = so its about same for VR / monitor / full HD / 4k users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Object size setting is not the correct answer to 2k+ screen visibility issues, it was broken and so rightfully removed by ED.

For those of you who don't remember, it was also enlarging ground and static units, leading to absolutely ugly things like a factory 4 times bigger than the rest of the city.

Would be nice to see the view system redone so that people with different monitor/resolutions see pretty much the same thing

This sounds more like a proper solution :thumbup:

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Object size setting is not the correct answer to 2k+ screen visibility issues, it was broken and so rightfully removed by ED.

For those of you who don't remember, it was also enlarging ground and static units, leading to absolutely ugly things like a factory 4 times bigger than the rest of the city.

While I agree an overhaul to the system would be great. Allowing us to adjust the the objects was much better than it is now. In fact if they gave us individual settings for air and ground objects that would be a great fix for the time being. The user can adjust to their preferences especially with so many different setups out there. The nice thing is these settings won't effect you negatively in any way. The way it is now many of us with higher resolutions can't fly without a label mod because objects are too small to see and completely unrealistic. The great thing about what I'm asking for is if you don't want to change your settings then you won't have to. If you don't want them on a competitive MP Server don't allow them. But for a large number of us this would fix a big problem with DCS and allow us to make it much more realistic and enjoyable:D.

Edited by Greekbull

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

The beauty of the system is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I'll assume your logic is correct. Given that I think it fair to say that a proper object sizing option becomes even more relevant if we are at all (as a community) interested in an even playing field.

Does. Not. Exist. It doesn't even exist on consoles, where people can still have variable TVs or turbo controllers.

I have a full cockpit (including a dozen or so control panels and soon to be professional grade controls), triple monitors, head tracking, and my ENTIRE system is liquid cooled top end electronics. A guy playing with a 960 and logitech entry level HOTAS is grossly, inconceivably disadvantaged.

"Variable pixel size" is the least of the "inequalities" in this environment lol

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2