DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

According to the update the model may have been changed to the 30 block instead of the proposed 28 block. I'm not sure if the was just a typo or what.

It'll be interesting to see if they did indeed change it to the 30 block. It would make since as I believe the P-47D-30 was the single most produced block. It was also the first P-47 model to include "dive flaps."

I saw that on the update as well, don't know if it's a typo or not either since the kickstarter page still says block 28. Guess we won't know until they mention it or we see the external model. I would prefer the block 30 over the 28, but of course that all depends on the level of documentation they find.

I honestly didnt know much about it, it was far from being one of my favorites, but now that I am spending some time getting to know it, I am getting more and more interested in it.

Same boat as you. I knew a little information on her but it was never really my favorite aircraft. Since DCS WWII got funded, I've done more looking into all the planes as well and I am definitely looking forward to the P-47 just as much as the others.

It will ultimately depend on how I feel about her handling once this project is completed, but I'm thinking that whenever I fly as Allies I'll likely be behind the controls of the P-47 more than any of the other Allied aircraft (especially since I don't care for some of the Mustang's characteristics).

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Thanks for sharing! Do you know what the size of the oil tank was on the P47?

Hi Krebs; Total capacity was 28 US gallons = 23 Imperial gallons = 106 litres:

the normal capacity was 19 US gal = 16 Imp gal = 72 L, with 9 gallons of expansion capacity; more than 19 gallons was considered overload:

P-47Oil.jpg

P-47D Flight Operations charts including take-off runs, climb data, landing distances and range with various fuel loads.

By the way, it is confirmed that the Jug will be a D-30:

The P-47 cockpit is beginning to look rather good. We greatly improved the instrument panel. It’s virtually complete now, and it looks a lot more like the real thing. We had to redo a huge chunk of it compared to the previous screenshots, and the gauges now have the proper bezel as they should on the P-47D-30. We’ll be finishing it up next week and polishing it and inserting it into the game engine the week after that, so hopefully there’ll be something cool to show the Friday Dec 6th.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/671732

• 1 month later...

I must be honest, I'm a tiny bit dissapointed that we're getting the d-28 instead of a d-30+ simply due to lack of dorsal fin which improved lateral stability and of course dive recovery flaps that pitched your nose up and out of the compressability tuck experienced from probably .72 mach+.

I'm am very much hoping they give us a clean d-28 (no wing racks if you so chose) with 44-1 fuel and manifold pressures up to 70". Customizable gun and ammunition loads would be great as well. 6 or 8 guns, 223-425 rpg. Less guns and ammo obviously would improve turning and roll performance.

I must be honest, I'm a tiny bit dissapointed that we're getting the d-28 instead of a d-30+ simply due to lack of dorsal fin which improved lateral stability and of course dive recovery flaps that pitched your nose up and out of the compressability tuck experienced from probably .72 mach+.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that we're getting the 30 and not the 28.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I'm am very much hoping they give us a clean d-28 (no wing racks if you so chose) with 44-1 fuel and manifold pressures up to 70". Customizable gun and ammunition loads would be great as well. 6 or 8 guns, 223-425 rpg. Less guns and ammo obviously would improve turning and roll performance.

There are no racks on the P-51 when you select a clean loadout, so I would expect the same for the P-47.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that we're getting the 30 and not the 28.
Its pretty confusing. On the KS page it says 28, but he clearly mentioned model 30 in this development update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts/671732 :huh:

I would have actually preferred a Razorback-model, but thats just me. :music_whistling:

Edited by BabyJail

Interesting videos of P-47 from YouTube

The "Ikea factor or uncrating/assembly" of a P-47 in the field is interesting.

Uncrating and Field Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt Fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM#t=16

This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 fighter in a farm field using nothing more than muscle, unpowered hand tools and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps. You'll get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is bolted together. Then a pilot jumps in and flies it away! A must see for P-47 fans and shade tree mechanics alike.

How To Fly The P-47 - Pilot Familiarization (1943)

How to Fly the P-47: Pilot Familiarization

War Department. Army Air Forces. (06/20/1941 - 09/26/1947)

ARC Identifier 2770 / Local Identifier 18-AF-107A. Describes flight characteristics of the P-47 Thunderbolt, including service ceiling, speed, power, fuel consumption, turbosupercharger system, use of turbo and throttled landing gear and flaps, armament, and switch and control panel. Shows use of the P-47 cockpit trainer.

P-47 Pilot Training Film 1943; Ground handling, take off, flight and landing

How to Fly the P-47: Ground Handling, Take-Off, Normal Flight, Landing

ARC Identifier 2771 / Local Identifier 18-AF-107B. Demonstrates procedures in flying the P-47. Includes preflight and cockpit checks, warm-up, taxiing, cruising, banking, stalling, speeds for approaches, turns, and landings. Also shows how to conduct postflight checks.

How To Fly The P-47 - High Altitude Flight and Aerobatics (1943)

How to Fly the P-47: High Altitude Flight and Aerobatics

ARC Identifier 2772 / Local Identifier 18-AF-107C. Demonstrates the Thunderbolt in dives, loops, slow rolls, Immelman turns, spins, and recoveries, and half rolls. Stresses precautions and proper speeds for various altitudes. Also explains functions of turbosupercharger and water injection systems in high altitude flight.

Edited by Goanna1

Dorsal fin fillets were retro fitted.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to fly the Jug in DCS. I've been flying A2A's P-47 in the mean time. Learning how the turbo supercharger works and how to use it is fascinating (being one of the only WWII aircraft I know of that used this type of system.) I also like how everything is so much more manual then the P-51, I like to be in complete control of every aspect of my ship. Hopefully the Thunderbolt in DCS WWII will be as good as the Mustang.

Edited by IonicRipper

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]