Did anyone ever sort out the thick/blurry text issue on HUD & Displays?

Aluminum Donkey

Would you like to sell the 4th one?

At the moment it's in pieces. I was finding out how close to the screen I can get the buttons. Given the lack of good stress relief for the wires I might just eat that last 1/4", or come up with an alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this going to be a feature in the future under the contrast knob in the F-18?

Right now I'm using a 35inch 3440x1440 monitor and without editing these lines it's almost not readable.

For me the best settings are :

Before:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

After:

stroke_thickness = 0.6

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

So ED please add this as a feature we can correct ingame.

Edited by Mainstay

g8PjVMw.png

Great find. But won't this have to be done after every single update? Here's to hoping for an internal fix. I know they've got a lot on their plate, though.

Just make yourself a mod, using OVGME, so each time you make an update, disable the mods, then reenable after

• 2 months later...

Have settings for 27" 1920 x 1080

MDG_strokesDefs.lua

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft

\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\

stroke_thickness = 0.8 change to 0.7

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5 change to 0.3

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 3

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1.1

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.65 change to 0.58

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.42 change to 0.32

~

I appreciate the mods here, but can we really not get someone official to address this issue with 4K display symbology?

I don't understand why the HMD looks correct but the rest not? Here is a screen of the HMD symbology on next to the other HUD symbology during the same mission (at 4k):

[ATTACH]198440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198449[/ATTACH]

Note that this screenshot is zoomed in quite a bit. People playing at 4K know this thickening/blurring effect gets even worse when the cockpit FOV is wider/further zoomed out and creates the biggest headache when trying to read any of the MFD's as the DDI text is smaller than the HUD text to begin with.

The HMD stuff looks like the rest of the MFD and HUD symbology when playing at 1080p, but there is this discrepancy at 4K.... which gets really old on the eyes, especially when zoomed out.

I know ED has a TON on their plate and they are doing such an INCREDIBLE job with this (the greatest) sim. I just wish somebody would acknowledge this as a bug/problem. It seems like I'm one of like 5 guys that are actually playing at 4K on a large screen.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Fixed the blurry fonts in the MFD and the HUD following RightStuff's advice from this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3555460&postcount=117

I just edited "MDG_strokesDefs.lua" file and reduced the values in its first two lines:

C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

Before:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

After:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

Didn't change anything else. My monitor resolution is 3440x1440.

This was my F1 view before changing values:

-snip-

And this after changing them:

-snip-

Best regards,

Juan Andres "Susto"

This fix works great for both large resolutions and display exports.

However the new SA page symbology is unreadable on my exported displays, it appears to be controlled by another file.

Anyone have any idea?

I hope ED and BST will make these displays act like every other module, but I'm not going to hold my breath considering they've never commented on any of the threads about this issue.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 4 weeks later...

I think that part of the problem is that the fonts and lines on the DDI, MPCD, RWR and HUD are all being drawn at a set pixel-thickness regardless of zoom (if you zoom in or out on any of the displays, you can see that the lines don't change thickness; they are rendered a set number of pixels wide). In some ways this makes sense - the displays remain equally readable as you zoom in and out on them. However, it uses those same thicknesses when rendering exported displays - and if the exported display is of a lower resolution (e.g in my case a 1920x1080 display compared to my 4k main monitor), the chosen thicknesses are too fat and fuzzy. Likewise if you tweak the thicknesses so they look Ok on your exported display, that same thickness is too thin and weedy on the main display. With a number of hacks to the lua files to enable separate control over the DDI, MPCD and RWR font renderings I have been able to come up with settings that are an acceptable work-around for my particular display and viewport configuration, but whether that is possible for anyone depending on how their particular display sizes and viewport sizes are set up. I'll try and get my particular set of hacks packaged up and post them - they touch on some files not mentioned previously in the hacks along these lines.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

DDI readability

Hi,

Need a bit of help with the quality of the MFD/DDI's. From a default view the screens are nearly impossible to read without zooming in significatly. I also have issues with some of the texture labels inside the cockpit being rather difficult to read.

Running latest open beta with fx and shaders deleted. All drivers are updated and computer specs in sig. Attached both the in cockpit screen shot and my in game settings.

Screen_190724_160523.thumb.png.7b2f0bea7c3808233c543370f27778f6.png

Screen_190724_160545.thumb.png.0d16a3a1e0eb4aa2afae2dee0fbd7d7e.png

I5 2500k@4.4ghz, GTX980 OC, 16gb Gskill 12800 DDR3 ram, ssd. Thrustmaster warthog, CH pedals. Track ir 4p