Trying to deauthorize installation with a potentially inaccessible disk

Hello

I've had some issues with the SSD that holds all the DCS data.

I didn't do all the testing yet but I will, but it looks like I might not get the newer SSD bootable with the older data one, so I might not be able to run deauthorization. But I'll see what happens, attempting this also costs more time because I have to do more image backups and stuff.

I have two new SSDs which are quite similar and have done image cloning between them, I started with Win10 and installed it to the first one, then I cloned it to the second one because it was a bit newer and faster model with the same size, worked fine for months, the second one is when I installed DCS but I choosed to install the data on an old SSD which was acting as a data drive.

I'm not sure yet as I'm in the middle of troubleshooting right at times when I'm most busy with other stuff so things go a bit slow, it appears the old SSD is at fault, as when I put it in solely, the comupter takes 3 times to get into BIOS boot screen, but the tricky thing is, it only when I put the old SSD with the new SSD together on the mobo, then problems arise, If I put either one alone, it's all fine, seem like it, I only tried the first two sata 6Gbps ports, I'll do more combinations.

I'm just writing this ahead to document this issue going forward, as I don't know if I'm going to continue troubleshooting today or how long it would last, if I do manage to deauthorize, I do have an idea already what could be done by ED in case like this, however I was trying to read up on all the activation FAQs I still forgot some of it, solution might already be out there for this case but I don't know about it.

So to clear up. My Win10 installation is fine, althought BSODs did happen, got more frequent, then it wouldn't even boot, as long as I had the old one connected, the HW gurus think it's the motherboard Sata Controller going nuts with the new/old SSD combination, could be bad capacitors and can't handle the amount of disks anymore.

Either way I do want to get to the bottom of this for other reasons so I'll attempt this anyway, I need to know whether the root cause is the old SSD or the mobo has capacitors blown and can't handle two SSDs or what, there's also this Cooler Master X-Dock which has some capacitors on it which create 3Volts from the +5V line, but that didn't prove to be a factor as I kept running individually and it was fine, then all SSDs would have an issue but they don't (well, the 2 newer ones might not be affected by the 3V line like the old one, possibly, however this theory doesn't pan out because I kept connecting the old one to another sata port without this and it was the same)

At this moment I'm on the second newer SSD, with broken DCS shortcuts and what's in the registry.

I still have Win10 like it was on the first newer SSD, but outdated, hasn't been booted ever since, like 3 weeks.

The idea I'm looking at is to use the first newer SSD and the old SSD together again and try to deauthorize there, if it'll boot, I don't want to risk my current working configuration and pair it with the old SSD, while cleaning up all the DCS stuff on the second SSD from the registry as if it was never there. Then, getting rid of the old SSD for good, and checking to see if the first newer SSD works, then reimaging the clean state from the second newer SSD, and then doing a clean install there on the newer SSD to some other new data disk or something else, the newer ones are 250GB so they take DCS fine but it's still a lot of data to put on a SYSTEM drive so that's why I'm against it, especially when it keeps growing and updating it's just not a good fit for my liking.

I wasn't running any DCS stuff when BSODs happened, but the BSODs did do some damage that unfortunately carried over to the current state I'm right now on the second newer SSD, it did corrupt some files because the disk cache wasn't written when BSODs happened.

Well, the idea is, it may be unneeded depending on how the new authorization works, which I'm not sure in detail, but that you would be able to manage account from the OS I used to install, like DCS would install some stuff in program files and put only data on another drive, maybe it's doable, maybe not, but this is what would help in this case, the protect.exe files are all on the old SSD, not sure if they have to be necessairly there?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Even if you don't deauthorize, it's not a big deal is it? You get 10 of them on the old method, and even if you burn through the 10, you can *still* authorize it once per month. It doesn't accrue, you don't get 10 more in 10 months, but I don't think you need to stress about the activation part.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yep, the first pc I build I had forgot all about deactivating the modules. Not that big of a deal to lose a few activations.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yeah I guess I'm trying to be perfect, I think I haven't lost a single one, always made sure I deactivated, I heard there's no need to but I've always done it when reinstalling or moving from release to beta etc.

Ofcourse ... I forgot to mention, if I can do it without losing an activation, but it shouldn't be the end of the world if I do lose this one.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to do it tho, I figured it's two of the sata ports that don't like to work together nice, so I used e-sata's and the ones on the PCI-E card which go through their own controller.

I'm kinda stubborn sometimes, but hey I had to figure it out, knowing what's wrong in this case is a big deal, uh it's bad to assume the devices were at fault, teached me a lesson.