Scale of Speedtrees in 2.5

Anyone else think the trees are a tad too big in 2.5? I noticed it when I realized that while traveling at 450 knots, it looks like I'm going 225 knots, if that. It's the trees. They are scaled too big. The end result is it causes your aircraft to appear to be going much slower than it really is.

The old Strike fighters game had this issue. I created a mod to reduce the size of the trees by about one third and the sensation of speed was back. Is there any way to do that in 2.5 you suppose? I wonder what the effect might be on tree placement in 2.5 if there is a way.

Love the update and everything about it. Would like to get the sensation of speed back if at all possible.

Here's a link to a video that shows a side-by-side comparison of 1.5 and 2.5. You can definitely see the size difference in the trees. This has a tremendous negative affect on sensation of speed.

• Like 2

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

Interesting but actually for the past few months I've been observing this "trees look bigger than I would expect" when looking out of my window to the hills nearby.

So I would say that this is something that should be tested and tried out for a longer period, also city treets usually smaller than the bigger outter city ones and when you fly around those big mountains it's the size of them that would make the sensation of speed lower in the beginning.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

i agree the trees are too big

Anyone else think the trees are a tad too big in 2.5? I noticed it when I realized that while traveling at 450 knots, it looks like I'm going 225 knots, if that. It's the trees. They are scaled too big. The end result is it causes your aircraft to appear to be going much slower than it really is.

The old Strike fighters game had this issue. I created a mod to reduce the size of the trees by about one third and the sensation of speed was back. Is there any way to do that in 2.5 you suppose? I wonder what the effect might be on tree placement in 2.5 if there is a way.

Love the update and everything about it. Would like to get the sensation of speed back if at all possible.

Here's a link to a video that shows a side-by-side comparison of 1.5 and 2.5. You can definitely see the size difference in the trees. This has a tremendous negative affect on sensation of speed.

Yes they are too big even if they look great and it kills a bit the speed factor. I wish they could make them a bit smaller now it seems like every tree is more than 30m tall...

Of course they are too big, I even said this long ago when some of the first screens of the new Caucasus went out...so you are not alone, and yes, thats what makes the feeling of flying too slow. I have wondered since then why did they do this (because I highly doubt it is any kind of "issue" they didnt noticed) and came to the conclusion they did it in order to be able to fill a bigger area with less trees :dunno:...at least thats what I believe...otherwise it makes no sense to make such a mistake when scale is something programs manage easily and is so obvious to the naked eye (for instance look an il-78 close to a tree and you will notice how extremely big the trees are ).

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

There has been an incorrect sense of speed in DCS for many years now imo. Doing 100 knots looks more like about 60mph. 300 knots in a jet looks more like 100mph. Always been that way. FSX is the same way. Probably some kind of thing with sims on how the brain interprets them.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I dont think the trees are so big or very tall at all.

For me they look natural.

7oFGSSV.jpg

SXMlSDL.jpg

Thats a very big tree for an average tree

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

But not 100 meters tall. XD. They are 10-12 meters heigth. Nothing special for a tree

We can agree there are several tree sizes, taller, shorter, bigger, smaller, and the ones picked by ED doesnt look out normal proportions.

Another thing is people own taste.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Actually they look about right in Esac_mirmidon's example to me.

Of course it could be because I live in British Columbia and all our trees are large unless they are in an alpine or desert area.

Having said that, I think a slight reduction in overall scale of the trees may have a positive effect on the sense of speed when flying.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Hrm, I think, I'll take back my previous "+1" - at least until I find more evidence for Mega Trees.

Actually, I just took a ride in the Huey and inspected some of the trees, using the radar altimeter: the smaller trees (not the tiny ones) are about 70 ft, medium trees are roughly 90(ish) ft and the largest I found, those conifers, are about 160 ft.

Seems about reasonable to me ... maybe a bit unusual to have so many of those big trees in an urban environment, but probably not impossible.

Is Russia.

You know everything is larger. XD.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My suggestion.....just cut the trees with your rotorblades....works well...it´s a new feature in DCS :thumbup:

*sigh*

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

There has been an incorrect sense of speed in DCS for many years now imo. Doing 100 knots looks more like about 60mph. 300 knots in a jet looks more like 100mph. Always been that way. FSX is the same way. Probably some kind of thing with sims on how the brain interprets them.
I think DCS sense of speed is quite accurate and true to RL at least in my limited flying experience, and that's a very welcome feature from my part since ever as I could recognise things to be like my own experience. Other sims use and used in the past to fake a Star Wars like sense of speed by faking map scales, object's size, true height and so on, and that's fine for a PS game but we talk here about simulating.

About trees, setting aside everything in Russia is big :D , I don't know the size of trees in Georgia. Are we sure they really aren't like that? Even though some differences in sizes could improve variety but I guess at an insane performance cost.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

... but I guess at an insane performance cost.

Seems to me that that's where the shoe pinches ;)

S!

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

This is first think what I noticed, when saw the new map.

I hope someone will make a mod for smaller trees. In the cities, trees reach 6-7 floor, which is quite unusual.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

I think DCS sense of speed is quite accurate and true to RL at least in my limited flying experience, and that's a very welcome feature from my part since ever as I could recognise things to be like my own experience. Other sims use and used in the past to fake a Star Wars like sense of speed by faking map scales, object's size, true height and so on, and that's fine for a PS game but we talk here about simulating.

+1

It is actually quite surprising how low speed can be perceived when getting a couple of hundreds of feet above ground. Cruising at 500ft and 90kt (167km/h, 103mph) in a R44 feels like 50~70km/h (31~43mph) in a car on a country road.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I can't comment on if the speed scale is correct in game but I immediately noticed that the sense of speed is much slower than before when flying the helicopters low level.

If that is due to the scale of the trees I find that very interesting.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10