Response from Thrustmaster re. F/A-18 HOTAS

Over a week ago I contacted Thrustmaster on their website regarding their plans for a new HOTAS specifically for the DCA F/A-18C. They came back with some indication of this new product being under development. As it will be "a while" I will temporarily need some input stick in order to get off the ground with my F-5 "trainer". Any suggestions?

Below is my discussion with Thrustmaster:

Garyss:

Eagle Dynamics is now taking pre-release orders for their F/A-18C fighter/bomber module which they expect to release mid-2018. Can Thrustmaster categorically state that you will also be marketing a F/A-18 HOTAS specific joystick-throttle similar to your HOTAS Warthog product near that timeframe??? Thanks…..

Thrustmaster:

Dear Garyss,

Unfortunately, we have no information on the releases of a new high end joystick other than the press release (summer 2017). Our R&D department is making sure the new joystick will be just as reliable and feature packed as the current Warthog, if not even more so. This model is still underdevelopment at this point.

To ensure the most efficient follow-up of your query, please answer directly to this email (Do not open a new ticket).

Kind regards,

Your Thrustmaster Customer Support Agent, Emil

http://support.thrustmaster.com

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

If they do have a new product they will have invested a fair chunk of money in marketing, lining up preview articles and reviews from trusted websites, YouTube influencers and partners, they would not blow all that just to tell (no offence meant) some random guy who sent in a question from their website who would then release the information in an uncontrolled manner across a flight sim forum.

it is available its just not from Europe however they deliver to Europe and any part of the world withing a week

There's no Hornet style stick on the website. Further there has not been an announcement that they were working on one. The closest they have is the Modern Combat Grip which is modeled after modern Eastern Block AC.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

As an alternative, take a look at VKBs website. They have a Hornet style stick too, but it is not yet available in Europe unfortunately.

Link to the Hornet style stick? Or are you referencing their PAK-FA/Su-57 stick (i.e. the MCG)?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

TinFoil hat /ON

With ED already getting our money for the pre-release buy of the F18....do you think its possible...just maybe a little bit that the release date being so far into the future that ED is holding up the EA release of the F18 to give TM a chance to possibly release their stick at the same time?? I mean ED got their money from those of us that cant wait to throw it at them.

Tinfoil hat /OFF

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

I have looked at the Russian HOTAS' and while they are nice, I just don't have the energy to go thru what appears to be a big learning curve with installation and software controls. I would prefer to stick with my WH and hopefully, TM will come out with a new F18 Stick.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I have looked at the Russian HOTAS' and while they are nice, I just don't have the energy to go thru what appears to be a big learning curve with installation and software controls. I would prefer to stick with my WH and hopefully, TM will come out with a new F18 Stick.

What learning curve you talking about , its a plug and play , the calibration software which is wizzo is by far the simpliest software one candeal with . The other hard software you mean is not meant by average user its for very advanced users

• 3 months later...

Word on the street is that something big is coming from Thrustmaster during E3. Let's wait for the announcement.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

• 1 month later...
I laugh at stuff like that now I have VR.

What does VR have to do with having a mil-spec HOTAS that is used by the militaries for their simulators?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Anyone got a price list for these guys? Especially for their controllers.

Roughly around $15k for the HOTAS and they don’t sell to people for personal use. Aerotronics is the same. More detailed info straight from the horses mouth below...

Their products are geared towards military simulation. Some of the Flight grips and Throttle grips are of such fidelity that they were controlled by International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), now transferred to the Dept. of Commerce as of 2013. As such they are not inexpensive items, and require the end user be identified. Once identified, an export Licence may need to be issued, which costs a minimum of $275, or 2.5% of the shipment total.

The components themselves are quite robust. For instance, some of the four / five -way trim switches run between $275-$650, mostly Otto parts used in the real thing. The radar cursor slew switches on the F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, F-35 throttle cost $2400 alone. Their grips throttles and rudders run between $4500 - $12,000 depending upon the model and quantities.

Ejection seats run between $2.5K - $25K.

If you are a home builder and want grade B / C or D castings for your home pit project, at least Aerotronics occasionally has imperfect castings that you can populate with your own switches. The castings range between $150 to $750 depending on aircraft and condition. You many need to sand / and paint.

So, not really a viable option for many...but seriously top quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Thanks Buckeye!

Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew someone here would know.

Just looking for something better than overpriced Thrustmaster. You would think with the rise of space simulators like Star Citizen, and DCS coming out with modern jets, we would be getting some better joysticks.

Even sims like Steel Beasts need some decent Joysticks.

Edited by 3WA