Suncom SFS and Talon restoration and mods

I assembled talon stick and tested it, and I am not happy with the results. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know but hall sensor mod is not good form me. I get only +-600 in resolution and there is also large dead zone. It is mechanical problem with gimbal.

But I like the grip very much, so I decided to put it on base of another joystick. At the moment I can get CH Flight Stick Pro, Thrustmaster Top Gun, and Thrustmaster X-fighter. I need advice, what would give me the best results? Does X-fighter have metal gimbal?

I am also looking for Thrustmaster F-22, If anybody is willing to sell one please send me a message.

I am also finishing the throttle, I'll post some photos soon.

Thank you!

Edited by debolestis

But I like the grip very much, so I decided to put it on base of another joystick.

Why you dont buy a Bauer BRD-D base kit and use with F-15 Talon and your BU0836?

Is all metal, ball bearings, cam levers, possibility to change springs...

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

Option for sensor, assembly a PCB with "MaRS" with TLE5010/11 (cost ~3$ in China) - this require a MMjoy controller, because work in digital mode.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4097757/Re:_MMJoy_-_Build_your_own_USB#Post4097757

Or get "MaRS" assembled from Bauer, I think is 10 Euro each.

Other alternative is use slide potentiometers in Suncom - like the originals - the only inconvenient is his "short" life span.

Tm F-22 PRO gimbal is not good, is metal but have have "play"in axis, the spring system have "mechanical deadzone" (like in Cougar) and is too heavy (IMO).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Why you dont buy a Bauer BRD-D base kit and use with F-15 Talon and your BU0836?

Is all metal, ball bearings, cam levers, possibility to change springs...

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

Bauer base kit is spectacular, but I'd rather build something myself.

I was working on SFS throttle.

R931Tsm.jpg

It is simple job at this point, just wiring diodes in matrix.

uvzHs66.jpg

I had some cable sleeve, now everything looks clean.

9kTC7OO.jpg

I also made this board, it makes things more simple, it is easier to disassemble everything. This way it is not necessary to solder all the wires together. It is simple parallel connection of 6x6 pins. I don't know why Leo Bodnar doesn't make something like this.

EDDGupT.jpg

e2QlV8a.jpg

bO2YgwW.jpg

Edited by debolestis

This part is not in throttle at the moment.

By2lQ79.jpg

I felt that throttle is "yawing" a little and I decided to make this part in stainless steel. It will be made in next few days.

Edited by debolestis

I just got new joystick. It is Thrustmaster X-Fighter, I bought it on eBay for 1,5 Euros. It looks like it was used very little.

Lwd1eim.jpg

The base is much bigger, mechanism is simple it uses CTS pots, there is not even circuit board inside. It was very, very stiff and then I disassembled it and removed conical spring. It still has springs for each axes, now it is completely different stick. Off course I assembled it in wrong way.

Now I just have to figure out how to put Suncom grip on X-Fighter base.

This is the spring, it is a lot stronger then original Suncom spring.

pBNKt9Z.jpg

Edited by debolestis

Ghost.... I'm speechless!!! WICKED!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

New piece arrived, it is stainless steel, it was burned and ugly so I decided to polish it. It is such a great material to work with.

vqVBg90.jpg

tG0fZIU.jpg

Throttle now feels so much smoother, friction adjusting lever is better than before, range of friction is better, and it looks great.

KrSNyPf.jpg

7fqE2Lw.jpg

0A1svVc.jpg

I connected everything, pots are good, no spiking, I didn't connect red switches and LEDs on the base, I'll do that later but they are on bad place it is difficult to reach them.

I also have an idea of connecting 6 LEDs on on right side to throttle pot so that they turn on as I move the throttle forward. It is probably possible but I have no idea how to do it. I need advice on it or a schematics, please help.

zIDsssk.jpg

Edited by debolestis

I think you will need a circuit that convert pot' output voltage variation 0 ~5v in ON-OFF signal to LED, e.g 0-1v turn ON LED1, 1- 2v turn ON LED2... etc.

What means a little complicated circuit with logic switch's, not a simple dimmer.

My "solution" for these LED - find them too "toy" in a F-15, all this "Christmas Lights" on sticks belong to Saitek. :)

SFS_base.jpg

~0,5 mm black plastic sheet. :)

Anyway I save the LED and buttons for a "button box". :smilewink:

I think you will need a circuit that convert pot' output voltage variation 0 ~5v in ON-OFF signal to LED, e.g 0-1v turn ON LED1, 1- 2v turn ON LED2... etc.

What means a little complicated circuit with logic switch's, not a simple dimmer.

My "solution" for these LED - find them too "toy" in a F-15, all this "Christmas Lights" on sticks belong to Saitek. :)

SFS_base.jpg

~0,5 mm black plastic sheet. :)

Anyway I save the LED and buttons for a "button box". :smilewink:

Yes, you are probably right, I am sometimes complicating things that should be simple. I'll probably do it like you say.

But if anybody wants to know more this is what should be done for LED throttle mod:

Dot/Bar Display Driver Hookup Guide

Find a picture of my "work of art" - "BIC" HALL on SFS. :P

I think that give a picture of the idea.

SFS.jpg

Since you mention have access to 3D printer, will be easy do a more elegant solution. ;)

Other "pot" HALL for G-27 that give you idea of how assembly one. This one look like 3D printed parts.

Edited by Sokol1_br

hi guys, I've recently bought an old suncom throttle with the view to converting it to USB with a Arduino Pro Micro & MMJoy

having opened it up I'm completely lost, I understand I will need to create a diode matrix, but from reading some posts here it appears that the throttle has 3 matrix's already: 2 4x1 matrix's & one 8x1 matrix.

this is where I get lost, how do I figure out the pinouts? have my multimeter set to mesure resistance but have so far only got one result from the three matrix' how do I figure out where ground is & the row/column layout?

or am I better off rewiring it to a single 4x4 matrix that I create from scratch? & connecting that to the arduinio?

hi guys, I've recently bought an old suncom throttle with the view to converting it to USB with a Arduino Pro Micro & MMJoy

having opened it up I'm completely lost, I understand I will need to create a diode matrix, but from reading some posts here it appears that the throttle has 3 matrix's already: 2 4x1 matrix's & one 8x1 matrix.

this is where I get lost, how do I figure out the pinouts? have my multimeter set to mesure resistance but have so far only got one result from the three matrix' how do I figure out where ground is & the row/column layout?

or am I better off rewiring it to a single 4x4 matrix that I create from scratch? & connecting that to the arduinio?

Hi, I rewired 4x4 matrix for the right throttle, and 3x2 for the left. I think that in original wiring has different matrix. I am not familiar with Arduino Pro Micro & MMJoy.

Hi, I rewired 4x4 matrix for the right throttle, and 3x2 for the left. I think that in original wiring has different matrix. I am not familiar with Arduino Pro Micro & MMJoy.

thanks,

from looking at this diagram: http://www.gerryk.com/node/46

it looks like I can combine the 4 1x4 matrix in the right stick into 1x 4x4 by simply joining the column wires, is this how you did it?

1 more question, I was looking at this link to figure out how to wire the matrix up & it appears the diodes are the opposite polarity to those on the suncom? http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8509/3posauto.jpg

how did you deal with this? did you need to de-solder the diodes & reverse? or has the guy that drew this diagram got his annodes & cathodes mixed up when he drew it?

& how did you wire up your on -off-on switches? do you have them as switch1-off-switch1? or do you have them as switch1-off-switch2?

Cheers!

Andrew

thanks,

from looking at this diagram: http://www.gerryk.com/node/46

it looks like I can combine the 4 1x4 matrix in the right stick into 1x 4x4 by simply joining the column wires, is this how you did it?

1 more question, I was looking at this link to figure out how to wire the matrix up & it appears the diodes are the opposite polarity to those on the suncom? http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8509/3posauto.jpg

how did you deal with this? did you need to de-solder the diodes & reverse? or has the guy that drew this diagram got his annodes & cathodes mixed up when he drew it?

& how did you wire up your on -off-on switches? do you have them as switch1-off-switch1? or do you have them as switch1-off-switch2?

Cheers!

Andrew

I removed everything and resoldered with new diodes. I used eLo Bodnar's boar and you have to properly orient diodes, if they are wrong way it won't work.

2BU0836A_04.jpg

Image from gerryk.com is exactly what I did.

I removed everything and resoldered with new diodes. I used eLo Bodnar's boar and you have to properly orient diodes, if they are wrong way it won't work.

2BU0836A_04.jpg

Image from gerryk.com is exactly what I did.

yeah looking at leo-bodars matrix, it looks like the diodes are orientated the correct way on the suncom & its the Spanish guys diagram that's wrong...

I suppose i'll try wiring up the matrix's without a full rewire 1st & see if I can get it to work,

did you have to replace your Pots? or were the originals ok?