* DCS: F-14 Development Update! Scan, Lock, Fire! *

Cobra847

Ok..no news no info no nothing...have we now to wait another generation or will those modules ever reach any screen in the 21 cent ? it is getting rediculous

that was totally unnecesarry, those modules will see the light of day some day, thats for sure but that takes time. Remember what Wags has said about the rough development timeframe that such a complex module needs. It easily can take up to 6 years, so we´d be glad that Heatblure is so fast considering the things that they went through. Not to forget to mention the new Jester AI to enable a 2 Piloted Plane in the first place at all.

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was totally unnecesarry, those modules will see the light of day some day, thats for sure but that takes time. Remember what Wags has said about the rough development timeframe that such a complex module needs. It easily can take up to 6 years, so we´d be glad that Heatblure is so fast considering the things that they went through. Not to forget to mention the new Jester AI to enable a 2 Piloted Plane in the first place at all.

Also Heatblur being 3rd party developer, they need to consult release dates, or any other "official" dates with ED first.

If ED wants to release something else first before their module will get a chance, that's something Heatblur cannot influence.

So even if Heatblur would be ready to release F-14 now they cannot admit it as it would shed bad light on ED.

Razbam was faster with Harrier, ED plans to release 2.5 very soon, I would guess we will have another pre-purchase in next week for something new too, either F-18C or Strait of Hormuz.

If it will be F-14, good for us.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

I suspect 2.5 will bring radar modeling with it, thus the F/A-18.

(THESE ARE ALL SUSPICIONS, NOT FACT)

So we'll get the F/A-18 pre-order or even early access sometime around Christmas. Heatblur said they're along the same path as the Viggen at this point last year, but I'm going to guess that the F-14 is more complicated. I'll say early spring on the Tomcat at the earliest.

Between Christmas and, say, Easter, maybe we'll get Hormuz. I'm still only a couple hundred pages into F-14B NATOPS, so I don't even want it rushed.

And for any of you reading NATOPS, are those inlet ramps worrying you yet?

I suspect 2.5 will bring radar modeling with it, thus the F/A-18.

(THESE ARE ALL SUSPICIONS, NOT FACT)

So we'll get the F/A-18 pre-order or even early access sometime around Christmas. Heatblur said they're along the same path as the Viggen at this point last year, but I'm going to guess that the F-14 is more complicated. I'll say early spring on the Tomcat at the earliest.

Between Christmas and, say, Easter, maybe we'll get Hormuz. I'm still only a couple hundred pages into F-14B NATOPS, so I don't even want it rushed.

And for any of you reading NATOPS, are those inlet ramps worrying you yet?

Link to the NATOPS manual? Please :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

This is with the knowledge that the -B is coming out first.

If you read this and the -A releases first, it is not my fault.

In fact, I will feel dumber than anyone else.

http://www.drydensims.com/free-cool-stuff.html

Thanks, brother!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

This is with the knowledge that the -B is coming out first.

If you read this and the -A releases first, it is not my fault.

In fact, I will feel dumber than anyone else.

http://www.drydensims.com/free-cool-stuff.html

Is this the material the real Pilots went through as well (content)?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I have a question, were F-14's ever able to land with the AIM-54 still attached to the F-14, or did they have to dump em before landing on the boat?

I'm not sure but I recall reading somewhere that, a 6 Phoenix missile configuration wasn't allowed for carrier landing due to maximum landing weight restrictions.

So I believe that in case of takeoff with 6 of these missiles, the crew would have to fire 2 of them.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I'm not sure but I recall reading somewhere that, a 6 Phoenix missile configuration wasn't allowed for carrier landing due to maximum landing weight restrictions.

So I believe that in case of takeoff with 6 of these missiles, the crew would have to fire 2 of them.

That is correct. I.A.W info I have read, a full load of 6 Phoenix missiles would only leave you enough fuel for 2 approaches to the carrier max which was unacceptable. So 4 was the max for Carrier based aircraft - however usually it was 2x Aim-9, 2x Sparrow and 2x Phoenix, so all the engagement envelopes of each missile 'generally' overlapped the whole way from Phoenix to gun range.

As one pilot mentioned you would be in a rather sticky situation with only 4 Phoenix missiles and a gun WVR fighting....if it got that close to start with.

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in the Tomcat also...

F_14_book%20_cover.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't forget about Crazy Bob's CVW-11 in the 80s. He made his F-14s do regular 6-0-2 missions. Though from what I can tell he was the only one that ever forced that in training. Remember anything is allowed with command override.

That is correct. I.A.W info I have read, a full load of 6 Phoenix missiles would only leave you enough fuel for 2 approaches to the carrier max which was unacceptable. So 4 was the max for Carrier based aircraft - however usually it was 2x Aim-9, 2x Sparrow and 2x Phoenix, so all the engagement envelopes of each missile 'generally' overlapped the whole way from Phoenix to gun range.

As one pilot mentioned you would be in a rather sticky situation with only 4 Phoenix missiles and a gun WVR fighting....if it got that close to start with.

F_14_book%20_cover.jpg

Thank you, which parts does it emphasizes more ?

I can also recommend Dave “Bio” Baraneks Book “Tomcat Days” it’s pretty interesting for those who want to have a little deeper look into the top gun training back in those days.

I believe those are 2 outstanding books.

I also have another 2 about the Tomcat, by chance were sent by a relative which lives in the U.S.

The parts about the TOPGUN training should also be interesting.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

F_14_book%20_cover.jpg

Okay, so this loadout is acceptable :D

JmbNgAt.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, so this loadout is acceptable :D

JmbNgAt.png

I have a strong feeling that you would mostly see

4*aim7+4*aim9 or 6*aim7+2*aim9 while flying online.

Aim54 is not something you would shoot at a flighter target. (That is expecting to get shot).and no one will let you shoot down all the tankers and AWACS for the "other team" in TvT.

i see someone is not familiar with the sop here, which is "never learn from your mistakes"

here's a rundown of how its really going to go:

1. carry 6 phoenixes

2. ripple fire at rmax and whiff all of them

3. tab onto the forum

4. create new thread

5. report aim-54 as bugged and underperforming

6. repeat

Edited by probad
  • Like 2

2/2/2 (AIM-7/9/54 respectively) was the standard load out at sea. In the shop, we had ever even heard of anyone trying a 6-Phoenix loadout outside of factory testing. I'm sure it would take a lot of maintenance effort just to get it to work. The Phoenix is liquid cooled by Coolanol. The Coolanol lines out to the wing stations in many cases had never been used in the life of the aircraft, and to try to use them would involve having to flush them out and fix who knows how many leaks you'd come across, given how infrequently they'd been used, if ever. Coolanol was a pain in the ass (it cooled not only the Phoenix but the radar transmitter and high voltage power supplies as well). To get it working for six Phoenix missles would be a daunting task. I had heard while I was in VF-101 (the RAG) that they had tried carrying Phoenix on the wing stations a time or two there, but a sea-going squadron just didn't have the time or wherewithal to play with it. We did not carry Phoenix wing stations on the ship.

The next most common loadout was 4/4/0 and was used mainly in training involving lots of ACM if memory serves.

Edited by steven43291

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

2/2/2 (AIM-7/9/54 respectively) was the standard load out at sea. In the shop, we had ever even heard of anyone trying a 6-Phoenix loadout outside of factory testing. I'm sure it would take a lot of maintenance effort just to get it to work. The Phoenix is liquid cooled by Coolanol. The Coolanol lines out to the wing stations in many cases had never been used in the life of the aircraft, and to try to use them would involve having to flush them out and fix who knows how many leaks you'd come across, given how infrequently they'd been used, if ever. Coolanol was a pain in the ass (it cooled not only the Phoenix but the radar transmitter and high voltage power supplies as well). To get it working for six Phoenix missles would be a daunting task. I had heard while I was in VF-101 (the RAG) that they had tried carrying Phoenix on the wing stations a time or two there, but a sea-going squadron just didn't have the time or wherewithal to play with it. We did not carry Phoenix wing stations on the ship.

The next most common loadout was 4/4/0 and was used mainly in training involving lots of ACM if memory serves.

Unless your CO orders you. Capt. Crazy Bob (R.L. Leuschner) made his squadrons regularly do 6-0-2 1000nm missions. He was a huge fan of putting his crew through excercises as close to all out war as he could make them.

By 6-0-2 I'm talking the standard convention of listing 54/7/9

Edited by Hasler
Clarity

I have a strong feeling that you would mostly see

4*aim7+4*aim9 or 6*aim7+2*aim9 while flying online.

Aim54 is not something you would shoot at a flighter target. (That is expecting to get shot).and no one will let you shoot down all the tankers and AWACS for the "other team" in TvT.

You can if you want to attempt to close the engagement distances.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i see someone is not familiar with the sop here, which is "never learn from your mistakes"

here's a rundown of how its really going to go:

1. carry 6 phoenixes

2. ripple fire at rmax and whiff all of them

3. tab onto the forum

4. create new thread

5. report aim-54 as bugged and underperforming

6. repeat

:megalol:

Hahaaaa! Very good!

(But it will happen.)

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system