WNC - Generic WWII cockpit build

WNC

Hello Fellow simmers, :pilotfly:

I got into flight sims many years ago. IL2 really got me hooked when it 1st came out. Then I started building pits. I built parts over and over again year after year until I figured out how to build what I thought was a decent part.

I ended up purchasing "Flight Illusions gauges" (not a rich kid, I just sacrificed taking no vacations for many years to save the money) Then I eventually morphed into mostly flying the civilian prepar3D simulation for learning how to fly.

22.thumb.jpg.c22def15f55ff652682b19ad1ef79737.jpg

Now, I would like to get back into some combat simulation. IL2 is dated so am looking at my other options ala DCS. Because I built a generic WWII pit (Is closest to an F4U) am thinking that DCS's Normandy and the P51 might be better than the older IL2?

Before I make any DCS purchase's though I was hoping to get some answers to some questions I have.....

1) Can I access the P51 gun sight without seeing the virtual cockpit? (Is there a view for that?) Of course as you pit builders know, we don't need to see the virtual one when I have a physical one right in front of us.

2) Has anyone figured out a way for DCS and Flight Illusions central interface to communicate?

3) Is the Normandy map and or graphics of better quality than the 5 minute free sample DCS?

Flight Illusions does not supply a software for DCS. But I know it can be done because I found this on you tube,it is about 7 years old, don't know how to get in touch with who ever made it. Am thinking Simmeters may not be around anymore?

Also, found this wrapper from Simmeters

-- Copyright © 2014, SimMeters.

-- All rights reserved. Released under the BSD license.

-- Wrapper_P-51D.lua 1.0 01/01/2014 (Import/Export script for SimMeters Workspace DCS Wrapper)

Too large to post the whole thing in this post.

Unfortunately for me, problem is I know nothing about LUA and am not near as good with computer programing as I am at building physical pit parts etc. Flight Illusions did tell me that they would be glad to provide the programming information about all gauges to anyone who wanted to program it.

So, am looking for someone to point me into the right direction? I know what I am asking for could be time consuming and some work. I know it is probably a long shot but was thinking if I could get hooked up with the right person that might want to trade some computer programing for some hardware. LOL I can build a pretty nice (no toy feelings) throttle quadrant for example.....

17.thumb.jpg.d17451f4d39145103d8c5103fab4b8e0.jpg

Or maybe someone in cyber space has Flight Illusion gauges and is wanting them to work with DCS as well?

Any help or comments welcome

Best regards,

WNC

Note: edited because was in a hurry the 1st time.

BTW, great forum. Lots of great projects going on here, looks like a good place to learn how to make hardware talk to software for sure.

That might be my only hope....to have to learn it myself....LOL

Edited by WNC

1. I do not know if you can remove the cockpit from your views. I remember some people had this same question with the warthog release. Foggy memory, I don't know if they figured it out back the .

2. I have no experience with flight illusions equipment.

3. The Normandy map is running a newer version of dcs. The graphics are much better but also more demanding of your pc. If your having issues running the free map. It won't get much better with 2.5.

Good news! There is a free to fly TF-51! You can fly as much as you want with it on the Caucasus map. Before you invest into DCS products, you can try to adapt your flight pit for the TF51. Only holdback is the TF-51 has no weapons installed. If you can get everything to work on the TF51, then you just have to remember to do the same thing to the other WW2 aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) Can I access the P51 gun sight without seeing the virtual cockpit? (Is there a view for that?) Of course as you pit builders know, we don't need to see the virtual one when I have a physical one right in front of us.

Yes. There is a "Hud only mode" I think it is <ALT><F1> which I just tried with the P-51D. The cockpit disappeared, but the gunsight reticle was still visible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. There is a "Hud only mode" I think it is <ALT><F1> which I just tried with the P-51D. The cockpit disappeared, but the gunsight reticle was still visible.

what would be perfect for my set up would be to just make the canopy go away. "Hud only mode" you loose the prop spinning which takes away from immersion and also you can't look down into the cockpit when you need to see something.

I need to lean how to mod :)

That's a nice looking throttle...am interested in learning some more about it since even a replica P-51 throttle is as rare as a unicorn and requires a Fort Knox size wallet!

Off the top of my head,,,,

Materials....

1 pcs 12"x 24"x 1/8" aluminum (cut into 6 pcs, see pic for size) ($50.00)

1 pcs 1/8"x 1"x 4' aluminum (cut and shape into 3 levers) (about $5.00)

1 pcs large lever knob (about $5.00 w/shipping)

2 pcs medium round knobs (about $8.00 w/shipping)

2 Pcs 3/16"x 6" bolts ($2)

1 Pcs 3/16"x 4" bolts ($1)

10 pcs 3/16" washers ($1)

10 pcs 3/16" nuts ($1)

2 pcs 3/16" wing nuts (?)

3 pcs 3/16" ID x 1/4" spacers (?)

14 pcs 1/2" wide rubber spacers (about $10)

3 pcs leo Bodnar potentiometers ($18.30)

3 pcs leo Bodnar potentiometers 3 pen connector cables ($8.00)

1 pcs Leo Bodnar BUO836A 12-Bit Joystick controller ($34.00)

So, about $150 materials

Hardest part is cutting and shaping aluminum. good tools and decent skills helps.

assembly required.

If you know how to remove the canopy and glass from texture files for the P-51, and can make DCS talk to my flight illusions guages I will gladly build and mail you a brand new throttle quadrant for your P-51 :)

Only downside to Alt F1 if you a throbber like me is I actually need to look at the speed breaks to see if i moved the button the right way or at what stage they are open to.

ALT F1 makes all of the plane disappear except the hud.

Exactly, need a mod :)

I haven't gotten that far in my quest for a P-51 pit....but like anything else...1)there has to be a way to do it the way you want it or 2)someones already figured it out and hasn't read your post or posted the way yet. I'm like most, I wont settle for anything less than having what I want in a pit, whether its hardware or software...IT WILL BE MY WAY!

Hello Fellow simmers, :pilotfly:

I got into flight sims many years ago. IL2 really got me hooked when it 1st came out. Then I started building pits. I built parts over and over again year after year until I figured out how to build what I thought was a decent part.

I ended up purchasing "Flight Illusions gauges" (not a rich kid, I just sacrificed taking no vacations for many years to save the money) Then I eventually morphed into mostly flying the civilian prepar3D simulation for learning how to fly.

[ATTACH]171958[/ATTACH]

Now, I would like to get back into some combat simulation. IL2 is dated so am looking at my other options ala DCS. Because I built a generic WWII pit (Is closest to an F4U) am thinking that DCS's Normandy and the P51 might be better than the older IL2?

Before I make any DCS purchase's though I was hoping to get some answers to some questions I have.....

2) Has anyone figured out a way for DCS and Flight Illusions central interface to communicate?

3) Is the Normandy map and or graphics of better quality than the 5 minute free sample DCS?

Flight Illusions does not supply a software for DCS. But I know it can be done because I found this on you tube,it is about 7 years old, don't know how to get in touch with who ever made it. Am thinking Simmeters may not be around anymore?

Also, found this wrapper from Simmeters

-- Copyright © 2014, SimMeters.

-- All rights reserved. Released under the BSD license.

-- Wrapper_P-51D.lua 1.0 01/01/2014 (Import/Export script for SimMeters Workspace DCS Wrapper)

Too large to post the whole thing in this post.

Unfortunately for me, problem is I know nothing about LUA and am not near as good with computer programing as I am at building physical pit parts etc. Flight Illusions did tell me that they would be glad to provide the programming information about all gauges to anyone who wanted to program it.

So, am looking for someone to point me into the right direction? I know what I am asking for could be time consuming and some work. I know it is probably a long shot but was thinking if I could get hooked up with the right person that might want to trade some computer programing for some hardware. LOL I can build a pretty nice (no toy feelings) throttle quadrant for example.....

[ATTACH]171959[/ATTACH]

Or maybe someone in cyber space has Flight Illusion gauges and is wanting them to work with DCS as well?

Any help or comments welcome

Best regards,

WNC

Note: edited because was in a hurry the 1st time.

BTW, great forum. Lots of great projects going on here, looks like a good place to learn how to make hardware talk to software for sure.

That might be my only hope....to have to learn it myself....LOL

Hi,

I used to fly the DCS Black Shark. I am thinking of getting back into DCS but before doing so, I was thinking at possible cockpit options for a better experience. I came on here to have a look at ideas for cockit building. I just bought a home and have been enjoying doing handyman work, so thinking a cockpit build might be a nice side project. Would be great to team up with someone that has a lot of experience building.

I have 20 years experience in IT and program in C#, Python, Javascript. I think I can learn LUA pretty easily in a few weeks.

I have downloaded the DCS wrapper source code and could investigate how it all works. We might be able to make a good team ;)

https://github.com/SimMeters/Inerthya

Send me a contact and we can have a chat.

http://romikoderbynew.com

Romiko

Romiko Derbynew

---------------------------------------------------------------

Intel® Core i5-9600K CPU @ 4.8GHz

Corsair Vengeance XMP 32GB - CMW32GX4M4C3000C15

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Gamzing Z 8GB

MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC Motherboard

NZXT H500 Case

EVGA 650W P2 Power Supply

NH U12S CPU Cooler - 2 fans

2 Inlet fans - Noctua

2 outlet fans - Noctua

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Romico,

sorry for delayed reply,

I needed 4 things to be interested in continuing with DCS.

1) removal of virtual cockpit canopy

2) gun sight reticle to be in center of screen for P51-D

3) Flight Illusion gauges to com

4) Normandy map to be fantastic

Could not accomplish any of these so kinda gave up and went back to IL2 1946 where all these things are happening!!!!

If you where able to accomplish the FI gauge com hurdle that would peak my interest though. Either way would be more than happy to share any cockpit building information you with.

Not so sure about the contact thing with...

Octopus Deploy – AWS EC2 Web Servers and Elastic Load BalancerThat looks about as greek as Lua to me :cry:

Have a look at your private messages.