Time to build a new rig - advices wanted

The real deal with 5G is your 3600XMP !!!

Till 4.8 things go pretty straight forward, any higher and your IMC will gladly take the word on what's possible and what not.

Try 5G with 2133 first, to see if the core does it without stressing the IMC.

Then increase the RAM speed slowly and test test test :)

Likely more than vCore has to be tuned. VCC-IO, VCC-SA and vDIMM are likely too low for 5G/3600.

Look at my Volts in my sig as a rough guideline.

In addition, likely LLC, PowerPhase Management and such may need to be set too.

Booting beeping and posting may get troublesome. Find your sweetspot.

What's your vcore climb up to on adaptive?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

it peaks into 1.35x to 1.36x. Need to test it and take notes.... bbl

edit*:

ran a quick prime 26.6 w/o AVX and the highest was core-1 with 1.370-VID in hwinfo64 ( hwinfo.com v5.52-3161 )

It got summer meanwhile, nice warm breeze and my CPU is now cooking at 94-97°C on core-0 ( worst in temp ).

Looks like I really need to go though this delidding BS :( I never wanted to do that but it looks like it has to be for 5G on hot summer days, despite a real good cpu cooling solution.

Gladly in DCS it is somewhere between 55 and 75°C only. For any rendering and office I run stock settings, no kidding. Temps are the 7thgen real problem, or may I say Intel's BS-TIM.

Try 4.8G and 64-GB/3600 first. Once you got that rock solid you can venture to higher clocks if temp allows. Those dense and fast memory sticks are awesome but bound to a "pull hair" thing too first.

I guess they are also not on the QVL, are they ?

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Nice PC your building there Sydy,

I'm starting to collect parts myself for a new PC build, this will also be my most advanced build, been quite some time since I built a PC from parts.

Specs:

Intel I7-7700k

ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500G (Windows 10 Drive, DCS)

16G Kit (8Gx2) 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V

Corsair RM750i 750Watt 80Plus Gold

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm cooler

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Case

From my old rig:

ASUS 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, 1ms, G-SYNC

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD

2 x HD 1T 7200rpm (storage)

Track IR v5

Future Upgrades

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X 11GB

16G Kit (8Gx2) 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V (More Ram? 32G?)

I think I'm going to go with a front mount on the cooler, with the 2 fans pushing.

Later, if needed I'm going add two more fans at rear for a push pull setup.

I was going to do a top mount install, this draws hot air from inside the case and

blows out the top tho, the front mount sill draws air through the radiator into the case,

this still seems to me like the better way to go. Plus I'm trying to keep this

thing fairly quiet still, so I don't want to remove the case panels from the top.

Here's a video testing the cooler both ways.

xNAMxZgvves

Detailed complete build using I7-7700k / ASUS parts and all the way to BIOS

settings / install etc.

-

For such fast RAM it is advised to buy them ALL in 1 kit. It may or may not work if you even add the EXACT SAME model again as another 16GB kit. The more "selected" and "on the edge" they are, the more you need to select them to run in a pack.

Chances are, in 6 month it may be hard to even find the same model. Then you may not be able to reach the top end XMP for both.

Get 32GB right away if you can, get it in a two modules kit rather than four-pack. Less modules run more stable than four the higher you clock the pack.

Those modules get DAMN HOT when stressed, look for a good cooling on top of them.

I never felt such hot RAM before, but on my 3200 on the 6700k I almost burned my fingers.

I thought I need to check with finger tip how hot they get at 3200 and stressed...well...you will immedeatly pull your finger away, THAT HOT. Since that I understand why Corsair stresses that point in the manual as well, DDR4 at high clocks tend to get hot they say

and stability goes south once they are too hot. So I was glad that my corsair's do have that RAM cooler which spins up to 7k, slaved to the CPU#2 FAN it works pretty good. RAMS are always chilled.

I would have never thought from previous experiences with ancient RAM types, SDRAM, DDR1-3 etc.. I never felt any of those becoming what I call "hot - dont touch" before.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

For such fast RAM it is advised to buy them ALL in 1 kit. It may or may not work if you even add the EXACT SAME model again as another 16GB kit. The more "selected" and "on the edge" they are, the more you need to select them to run in a pack.

Chances are, in 6 month it may be hard to even find the same model. Then you may not be able to reach the top end XMP for both.

Get 32GB right away if you can, get it in a two modules kit rather than four-pack. Less modules run more stable than four the higher you clock the pack.

Those modules get DAMN HOT when stressed, look for a good cooling on top of them.

I never felt such hot RAM before, but on my 3200 on the 6700k I almost burned my fingers.

I thought I need to check with finger tip how hot they get at 3200 and stressed...well...you will immedeatly pull your finger away, THAT HOT. Since that I understand why Corsair stresses that point in the manual as well, DDR4 at high clocks tend to get hot they say

and stability goes south once they are too hot. So I was glad that my corsair's do have that RAM cooler which spins up to 7k, slaved to the CPU#2 FAN it works pretty good. RAMS are always chilled.

I would have never thought from previous experiences with ancient RAM types, SDRAM, DDR1-3 etc.. I never felt any of those becoming what I call "hot - dont touch" before.

Thanks for the run down BitMaster,

I'm not going to push this to far, a nice decent stable overclock @4.8 I would be very happy. This paired with my existing GTX 1070 G1 and 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, 1ms, G-SYNC should give me nice smooth results in DCS and the new V4 civi sim. I also do a little video editing, so this system should help here too.

Thanks again for the advice. :thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi Bitmaster,

Hell of a post. For sure it will be a good reference. I am having a lot of trouble with my rig about overtemp and instability.

I start to suspect about my Kraken X62. The Pump works, lights and everything, but the temperature stays all the time aroun 70C, sometimes reaches 84, 86 and once 90C. I worked a bit with the Q Fan in the Bios but the system still unstable.

I tried to used some of your values and tips, but all I got was the BIOS CPU Overtemp alert and had to hit F1 to re-enter the BIOS. I deactivated thermal monitoring so I could boot up.

In the process of instability, I managed to screw up my DCS 1.5.6 trying to updating it. Now when I try to see the modules it stops at 12% loading the modules and stops. 2.0 is still working fine, but didn't fly at all yet.

Maybe I disassemble the Kraken and reassemble it, but first I will study the BIOS some more and check the I7 7700K temperatures reported by others.

At least I managed to install most of the programs I need so far.

Any tip you have to fix this instability, feel free to add in. I am using 4.2 on the core and 2133 in the DDR4s, all from same kit just like yours vengeance lpx with a spec that was listed in the QVL for the formula IX.

Thanks in advance for any help,

All the best you all,

Sydy

4.2 vcore?????

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

probably means CPU@4.2ghz and RAM@2133mhz

I suggest checking the thermal paste, re-seating the water block, making sure it has good contact with the CPU, checking the fans are pointing in the right directions

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

probably means CPU@4.2ghz and RAM@2133mhz

I suggest checking the thermal paste, re-seating the water block, making sure it has good contact with the CPU, checking the fans are pointing in the right directions

Hi Hadwell,

Yep, that's my path... Once I get time, I will remove the thermal past and put some artic silver or something. That's what I got in Brazil.

Btw, It was CPU aa 4.2Ghz and RAM @ 2133Mhz

Tks for the tips.

Sydy

I just decided to buy Thermal Paste Artic Silver 5 and reseat the Kraken X62 to double check the contact with the CPU...

It will arrive in 2 days and I will let you know.

All the best,

Sydy

Well, assuming the X62 is now properly fitted, those temps seem high but "INTEL" says those spikes "ARE NORMAL" for some dies they sold.

Once the X62 is properly fitted. Test the rig with a full blown prime95-AVX ( newest version 64bit ). It MUST NOT REACH 90°C, if it does, you had bad luck in the lottery I assume.

Report back...and dont tune the Volts for that "initial" test, leave it all on AUTO, do a F5-Bios Default and reboot TWICE after F5 if you get stuck.

Report back.

New toys, :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=163819&stc=1&d=1496737660

Specs:

Intel I7-7700k

ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500G (Windows 10 Drive, DCS)

16G Kit (8Gx2) 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V

Corsair HX850i 850Watt 80Plus Gold

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm cooler

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Case

From my old rig:

ASUS 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, 1ms, G-SYNC

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD

2 x HD 1T 7200rpm (storage)

Track IR v5

Future Upgrades

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X 11GB

32G Kit (16Gx2) 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V

Like BitMaster said in an earlier post about having 32GB, I will see how the 16GB go and do some test later, Having the Page file on the960 EVO M.2, I guess should help with speeds of 3,200MB/s seq. read speeds, 1,500MB/s seq write speeds if it's needed?

It will be interesting to see how long things take to load on this M.2 drive.:)

Because the company I work for paid for most of the parts for this build, I may upgrade the ram soon.

On a side note, I should be able to just move my "Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD" over to the new PC and just plug it in and activate it under disk management, it's only has DCS files on it, no Win installed files. Then copy DCS over to the M.2 drive.

Hope to get nice and stable at around 4.8 clock, want this to still be quiet, as it is sort of near the family room, that's why I choose the Fractal Design Define R5. More of a silent stealth system.

-

NewPC1.thumb.jpg.3e5f8a5d157b685049cca6b3eac2a5b2.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Nice !

Deinstall drivers before you move the OS. Deactivate dcs too.

Did that as well, took my old 10 from 6700k to this new 7700k, no issues. Just take care of obsolete drivers and reinstall the proper ones

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I love when people lay out their hardware before a build. Really solid choices there David OC. I was looking also to the Max IX Hero board. Perhaps not the best of value but I like the aesthetics and features. Only irritant is no wifi despite a mini port and cutouts on the IO shield for it.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Guys,

Just to let you know. Today I removed the CPU cooler, changed the thermal past for Artic Sylver 5 and reseated the Cooler. I also load the F5 (default) values from the BIOS as BitMaster suggested.

The temperatures droped from 67X-80C down to 25C-28C... Much better. I don't know if it was the seating or the thermal paste. Anyway... Solved.

Seens running stable now. The follow up is to reinstall all DCS 2.0 modules. My DCS 1.5.6 is corrupted and I tried to repair and no deal. I got a hung up while downloading M2000C and now, every time I try to enter the MODULES Manager It get stuck in 12% and hangs.

CPU is running at 4.2GHz now and memory at 2133Mhz.

Any further tip for DCS or fine tunning, I thank you. Later on I will try to adjust for the BitMaster Suggested voltages.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy

With that kind of drop in temp the cooler must not have been seated very well at all. Looks good now though.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

WOW, what a temp drop !!!

Report back with your results !

WOW, what a temp drop !!!

Report back with your results !

Hi Guys,

Agree with konovalov. I was kind of suspicious of that and I removed the Kraken carefully and both cooler and cpu had thermal paste well spread on it. So it was weird...

Anyway, with Artic Sylver 5 it solved with that nice temp drop. I had problems with CH fighterstick, CH pro throttle and Ch Pro pedals to configure for DCS. I am used to use it in mapped mode (one button may represent several keys or joy button...) and the program that does it, CH Control Manager, is pretty incompatible with windows 10.

In the end I opted to use the joys in direct mode anyway. Today was the first day I really flew with the F-5 in both 1.5.6 and 2.1 (Nevada). I got pretty decent fps (around 60-140) with most of the stuff maxxed out.

I also installed and tested the gamtrix jetseat. Pretty nice immersion effect as well. Loved it.

Tomorrow it will be time to try to OC it. I got some good guidelines and will go for it.

I will let you know.

All the best,

Sydy

Hi Guys,

Agree with konovalov. I was kind of suspicious of that and I removed the Kraken carefully and both cooler and cpu had thermal paste well spread on it. So it was weird...

Anyway, with Artic Sylver 5 it solved with that nice temp drop. I had problems with CH fighterstick, CH pro throttle and Ch Pro pedals to configure for DCS. I am used to use it in mapped mode (one button may represent several keys or joy button...) and the program that does it, CH Control Manager, is pretty incompatible with windows 10.

In the end I opted to use the joys in direct mode anyway. Today was the first day I really flew with the F-5 in both 1.5.6 and 2.1 (Nevada). I got pretty decent fps (around 60-140) with most of the stuff maxxed out.

I also installed and tested the gamtrix jetseat. Pretty nice immersion effect as well. Loved it.

Tomorrow it will be time to try to OC it. I got some good guidelines and will go for it.

I will let you know.

All the best,

Sydy

I would highly recommend putting an overclock on your CPU. Running it at 4.2 is like putting around in a ferrari. In games like DCS, single core speed is king, so let that bad boy loose and see the improvement.

I'm running a i5-6600k at 4.3, which is an extremely tame OC, mainly because its air cooled and in a mini-ITX case. You will be impressed at the noticeable improvement with a stable OC.

Your system is badass, and I hope you enjoy it.

I would highly recommend putting an overclock on your CPU. Running it at 4.2 is like putting around in a ferrari. In games like DCS, single core speed is king, so let that bad boy loose and see the improvement.

I'm running a i5-6600k at 4.3, which is an extremely tame OC, mainly because its air cooled and in a mini-ITX case. You will be impressed at the noticeable improvement with a stable OC.

Your system is badass, and I hope you enjoy it.

Hi Gunny,

I completely agree! Tomorrow will be the day I will experiment OCing it.

Today was really the first day I flew. Without doing a thing, the rig prove itself pretty robust in both 1.5.6 and 2.1. I managed to fly at 4K with pretty decent FPS only dropping lower than 35 in NTTR over the Las Vegas strip, flying low with mirrors on, but other than that, I am really happy. It worths investing.

The only downpoint was that the CH Control Manager to map the stick/throttle prove itself incompatible with Windowns 10-64 and I had to reprogram everything and learn to fly in direct mode. So far, I am "operational" only in the F-5E. I think it is time to move on and my next upgrade will be a Warthog. Even learning about the upcoming TM F-18 stick, I want the A-10 one.

Tomorrow, I will let you know if I made it.

All the best,

Sydy

Hi Sydy,

I had no problems with CH Manager in win 10? What version are you using? V 4.55a? Check your antivirus isn't messing with it.

I left you a post about this after your post in the thread I started. I also left a quick walk-through of what I did, when starting to overclock the Kaby.

Hi Sydy,

I had no problems with CH Manager in win 10? What version are you using? V 4.55a? Check your antivirus isn't messing with it.

I left you a post about this after your post in the thread I started. I also left a quick walk-through of what I did, when starting to overclock the Kaby.

Hi David OC,

I don't know whats going on with my Control Manager... No anti-virus running. It is just the windows defender, but it is a mess with the HID devices... I will wait on CH word about it. I am using the 4.55a. I will check your walk through. Thanks!

Today I managed to OC the CPU to 5Ghz. Pretty straight forward.

I used this video as reference:

The only step I jumped was the DRAM FREQUENCY change to 3600Mhz. The computer runs like charm.

When I tried the step on second boot, the Computers doesn't boot. So I need some more studying to do it correctly.

Benchmark wise:

Before any OC:

Temperature average of 30C

After CPU OC

Temperature average of 33C

Flying DCS from 45C to 65C (just one peak) and average of 48-50C

Test over NTTR F-5E Free flight flying under hoover dam bridge. flying over Boulder City, down the Las Vegas strip at 500kt, over the desert and landing 21 Nellis.

FPS of 43-48 (got 5-8fps more)

Over the strip with mirros and everything maxxed out, at 4k, (most of it) it was 28fps.

Final rwy 21 Nellis 31-32fps.

So far I will keep that way and study the posts with the DRAM Voltages.

Tks a lot for the tips, guys! Really appreciate it!

Sydy

The real deal with 5G is your 3600XMP !!!

Till 4.8 things go pretty straight forward, any higher and your IMC will gladly take the word on what's possible and what not.

Try 5G with 2133 first, to see if the core does it without stressing the IMC.

Then increase the RAM speed slowly and test test test :)

Likely more than vCore has to be tuned. VCC-IO, VCC-SA and vDIMM are likely too low for 5G/3600.

Look at my Volts in my sig as a rough guideline.

In addition, likely LLC, PowerPhase Management and such may need to be set too.

Booting beeping and posting may get troublesome. Find your sweetspot.

Now it is time to search the holy gral of my 3600Mhz Vengeance! :detective:

I will try your settings...

I will let you know.

Now it is time to search the holy gral of my 3600Mhz Vengeance! :detective:

I will try your settings...

I will let you know.

Those are really good temps. I think as long as you stay under 85-90c your golden. Throttling happens at 100c I believe. In my tiny case, my CPU stays around 72c after an hour or so of DCS.