[INVESTIGATING]Spool down sound only audible inside cockpit - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Cornelius

Default [INVESTIGATING]Spool down sound only audible inside cockpit

Currently the spool down sound is not audible
  • when the canopy is open
  • in the F2 exterior view
  • probably in Multiplayer from other players (could not test)

[Needs more clarification and then probably it's own bug report:]
Furthermore the spool down sound is audible during flight which shouldn't be the case as the fast deceleration solenoid is only activated with weight on wheels, if I'm correctly informed.
Attached Files
File Type: trk missing Spool downl.trk (150.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Cornelius; 09-16-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
Shrike88

+1 good call noticed that also
Shrike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

When reporting bugs please add a short track replay showing the issue

thanks
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
vstolmech513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Furthermore the spool down sound is audible during flight which shouldn't be the case as the fast deceleration solenoid is only activated with weight on wheels, if I'm correctly informed.

The fast deceleration solenoid was removed and the cannon plug tied off almost 15 years ago. The spool down sound I believe you are referring to can be heard anytime that you retract the throttle from high RPM location to idle quickly. I will agree that the sounds are now horrible in the cockpit as they used to be pretty darn spot on. The only time you should hear the spool down sound is as the RPM comes down rapidly, like from max to idle in <2 secs. but it seems like any rapid retraction causes that spool down sound to play and mixed with the normal sound of the motor it sounds like a dying cat.
vstolmech513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
Cornelius

trackfile added and the other topic separated in first post

Last edited by Cornelius; 09-16-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Cornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolmech513 View Post
The fast deceleration solenoid was removed and the cannon plug tied off almost 15 years ago. The spool down sound I believe you are referring to can be heard anytime that you retract the throttle from high RPM location to idle quickly. I will agree that the sounds are now horrible in the cockpit as they used to be pretty darn spot on. The only time you should hear the spool down sound is as the RPM comes down rapidly, like from max to idle in <2 secs. but it seems like any rapid retraction causes that spool down sound to play and mixed with the normal sound of the motor it sounds like a dying cat.
Okay. Thanks for clarification. Unfortunately i can't find any useful translation or explanation about what a cannon plug is*

As I understand it now you have to be on the ground to hear that sound, while in vertical flight it would mean that you are in free fall before you are able to hear it. In horizontal flight, the air which enters the engine will prevent a rapid reduction of the RPM anyway.

In my opinion this should be addressed together with the Engine Spool time and responsiveness and then probably get it's own bug report...

Spoiler:
Although I found this 4 years old photo. Description:"Marine Lance Cpl. Francis Reeves, assigned to 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), inspects a T1 cannon plug on an AV-8B Harrier II on the flight deck of amphibious assault ship USS Boxer"

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-16...ip%3d0%26pl%3d

Last edited by Cornelius; 09-16-2020 at 08:14 AM.