EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8 - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #101
Sarabi

Hi all, just to let you know I downloaded the new version of Blender (2.90) and try it with the latest EDM (version 1.04) for Blender with the start up cube and open it on Model Viewer 2 and still working (cube shows on it). Best regards and take care
Old 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #102
Grajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi View Post
Hi all, just to let you know I downloaded the new version of Blender (2.90) and try it with the latest EDM (version 1.04) for Blender with the start up cube and open it on Model Viewer 2 and still working (cube shows on it). Best regards and take care
Thanks for the info Sarabi. Best and take care also :]
Grajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #103
lee1hy

Doesn't work on 2.83. I'm using a some of addons But only the edm plugin doesn't work.

Do i need other settings? or something

Last edited by lee1hy; 09-04-2020 at 03:45 PM.
lee1hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #104
tobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1hy View Post
Doesn't work on 2.83. I'm using a lot of addons like hardops/boxcutter/msfs/gis etc. But in 2.83 the edm plugin doesn't work.

Do i need other settings? or something
Hi lee1hy,
I used it very often with 2.83 and it worked quite well. Would you like to describe the problem? Is it installed correctly? Are there any error messages?
tobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #105
lee1hy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi View Post
Hi lee1hy,
I used it very often with 2.83 and it worked quite well. Would you like to describe the problem? Is it installed correctly? Are there any error messages?
log says that the install was successful, but it is not in the list of enable addons. not even in export
lee1hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #106
RustyGunner

Looking for some guidance on how to make a building "solid" so a helicopter can land on it. I didn't see much in this thread about collision models that helped and the Blender 2.9 manual didn't help me either.

For a tool trial a 5x5x5 meter cube was made (basically the standard starting point in Blender 2.9 and making the cube larger). A red texture was applied and exported to .edm file format. Cube exports fine and looks good in DCS but vehicles will drive through it and helicopters can not land on it. This was expected as a collision box was not added and I was just checking out this tool to verify I could export .edm files. So, I should be able to make a building in Blender 2.9 and have it display in DCS. Just need a collision model to go with it now.

I took a DCS collision model and made it a static object to view in DCS. The static collision model is invisible to the eye in DCS but it's there as a vehicle driving over it will jump into the air while on the object. In ModelViewer2 this collision model looks solid and blue in color.

A collision box (Rigid Body Type = Box) was added around the trial 5x5x5 cube. Collision field absorption values of 0 and 1 were tried. Rigid body Type of Active and Passive were tried. A bunch of other stuff was tried too but still could not get a rigid landing surface.

Interesting to note is that the trial 5x5x5 cube is now invisible to the eye in DCS as a static object but shows fine in Modelviewer2 with a red color. The trial cube seems to be close to what is needed but I seem to be missing the magic combination or approach to support collisions.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW: thanks for providing this super tool!

Rusty
RustyGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #107
tobi

Hey Rusty,
You need two objects for that. One for rendering (render node) and one for collision (shell node). Usually shell nodes are lowpoly for efficient collision calculation.

https://youtu.be/SYvr_GLR2AE

In this video Grajo sets up both in one edm file. The other possibilty is to use 2 or more edm files and a lod file.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:41 AM   #108
RustyGunner

tobi, thanks for the response but Grajo's video starts with the collision shell already set up. What settings were used in the collision shell? I can tie the two meshes together but I can not get the collision shell to work right which is why I was looking at it separately.

Rusty
RustyGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #109
tobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyGunner View Post
tobi, thanks for the response but Grajo's video starts with the collision shell already set up. What settings were used in the collision shell? I can tie the two meshes together but I can not get the collision shell to work right which is why I was looking at it separately.

Rusty
Hey Rusty, the only setting you have to do is to set the Rendertype to ShellNode at the edm panel. Then the object is invisible in DCS but works as a collision box. Grajo selects the collisionobject for a short time at about 2:28. When he does that you can see the edm panel on the right bottom of the screen. You have to use a second box which is set to Rendernode if you want to see something it in DCS. In summary: Create one cube for visual appearence in DCS parent it to a bone and choose RenderNode at the edm panel. Create a second cube parent it to the same bone and choose shellnode at the edm panel. Both objects don't have to be tied except they have to be parented to the same armature and no other blender internal physics settings are needed.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #110
tobi

Btw: You mentioned the blender 2.9 manual and this thread but not the readme of the addon at github. A lot of user overlook it but it should be the first place to look how to use the addon.