#03 - DEV UPDATE & GAMEPLAY VIDEO 28/05

Cobra847

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work guys!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Yeah but I am not concerned about gameplay (gameplay is for games, not for serious sims I believe, maybe I am wrong, who knows), but I want this sim to be military grade sim with all systems functional, even insignificant ones, that would be awesome. I guess developers clam it to be very realistic with all systems functional. And is this a game or simulator? Thanks

Military-grade simulators do not model every system. They may, depending on the particular simulator's purpose, model the "effects" of the system in question, but not the actual physical/electronic actions behind it.

One doesn't need to model the turbine actuation of a bleed-air driven electrical generator to specify that in specific combat-damaged or random failure circumstances that the loss of power is going to do particular things.

Seriously- you're not rendering the full Navier-Stokes equations a thousand times per second? Is this a game or a simulator?

Hardcore simulations very quickly reach the barrier of diminishing returns on development.

How far a developer goes is purely subjective, and a point of personal contention at times.

If we'd simulate every wire and bolt in an aircraft, we'd be done by 2020, and you'd still end up with a crappy, boring product because it would not perform well or have all the auxiliary content that you are used to.

Gameplay always reigns supreme.

I'll have to ask Novak whether there is anything specific that we might have omitted; but the MiG-21 is very, VERY complex at this point.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Cobra how is the sorting of the backer info going? You guys getting close to completing that task?

Forgive me for asking here in this thread.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Hardcore simulations very quickly reach the barrier of diminishing returns on development.

How far a developer goes is purely subjective, and a point of personal contention at times.

If we'd simulate every wire and bolt in an aircraft, we'd be done by 2020, and you'd still end up with a crappy, boring product because it would not perform well or have all the auxiliary content that you are used to.

Gameplay always reigns supreme.

I'll have to ask Novak whether there is anything specific that we might have omitted; but the MiG-21 is very, VERY complex at this point.

From one thing to another, being such a complex add-on, how is in-game performance? FPS-wise and such?

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

Cobra how is the sorting of the backer info going? You guys getting close to completing that task?

Forgive me for asking here in this thread.

No worries. My plate is so full I'm still terribly behind on PMs and other management stuff (sorry everyone!)

It's going well. I've checked pretty much all of the e-mails sent in; and everything has checked out so far. We're still missing a good chunk of people though (~100) and the pace has slowed significantly; but I remain hopeful.

From one thing to another, being such a complex add-on, how is in-game performance? FPS-wise and such?

We have not done the last optimization pass which strips out a lot of transparency based texturework (which is terrible for a GPU fillrate), so it's too early to say. I'd say we're certainly a little heavier in terms of art assets, but not in any major way, and after that last opti pass things should be fine.

As for the code; I can't speak too much there apart from noting that both Novak and Roland take care to write optimized instructions.

We'll be sure to do some performance testing with one aircraft vs another in different scenarios once the last optimization is in place.

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

So what is left?

-- Bugfixing and Polishing

-- Normal and Specular maps for various external parts

-- Minor additions to the manual

-- Completion of Manual localization (2 languages close to complete!)

-- Copy editing of Missions and Eng Manual

-- Creation of various UI, Manual and Quickstart Guide images

-- Replacement of legacy Weapon Art (in advanced progress)

-- Multiplayer Compatability Testing

-- More Bugfixing

-- More Polishing

-- DVD Artwork, physical goodies, more

We have not done the last optimization pass which strips out a lot of transparency based texturework (which is terrible for a GPU fillrate), so it's too early to say.

This makes me feel like we are still a long way from a release date....

The waiting is driving me nuts! :D

Release requiring ED's involvment, i wouldn't be surprised if the Mig21 and Hawk release are synchronised - for the sake of not having too much patching to do. Whatever is not released with 1.2.9, will likely get delayed much further.

But that's still a personnal analysis based on my own little brain full of beer - nothing has been said by ED.

Although it would be nice for us players to have it in June, it makes more sense for the devs to release it in 129 ob, which I assume won't come in June but which shouldn't be that far away anyway.

That being said, I am just as impatient as the rest of you... Mig-21 will be the first DCS-level module I purchase and PLAY.

Edited by blackbelter

• ED Team
Release requiring ED's involvment, i wouldn't be surprised if the Mig21 and Hawk release are synchronised - for the sake of not having too much patching to do. Whatever is not released with 1.2.9, will likely get delayed much further.

But that's still a personnal analysis based on my own little brain full of beer - nothing has been said by ED.

For our sake I hope your drunk brain is wrong.;)

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro

For our sake I hope your drunk brain is wrong.;)

Considering that a module has never been released without a major version update to go with it. I would consider it highly likely.

There should be no reason it has to be this way, if DCS World is really designed for addons (like FSX or P3D), but in the past that is the way it has happened.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Really? I'd be buying the A-10C while it is on special at the $15.00 right now if was in your position

I've had A-10C for a while now... Never played it...

Not that there is anything wrong with A-10C. It's just that I am more into fast movers...

I'd say it will be released at the same time as the F-86.

Who knows. Maybe?

I haven't been one to get heavily into release date discussions in the past, but all those months (two years?) ago when the MiG-21 was announced, and shortly thereafter the 3rd party modules that came after it, I thought (jokingly, but now in retrospect perhaps foolishly) as long as one of the 3rd party fast jets is released before I leave in July 2014 I'll still be able to fly it!

:( Its almost amusing to see the release dates shack that month after all this time! On the bright side, by the time I'm back there should be quite a few new aircraft I guess?

Edit: Sorry if that seems like a bit of a whinge. Years ago as a falconeer I couldn't imagine we'd have this coming, so I am now more educated on dev time required and nonetheless very grateful to the 3rd party teams!

Edited by MudRat02

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd say it will be released at the same time as the F-86.

There's a number of aircraft on the verge of release now. My guess is they're slated for release with the next version of DCS.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

It was my impression that the release of modules (especially 3rd party modules) did not need to be tied to a major DCS world update at all and that updating can be handled directly by the 3rd party developer themselves.

If that is the case, there is probably no significant reason for any 3rd party developer to wait, especially if that means releasing at the same time as another anticipated module (the Sabre).

I am actually curious to hear what Cobra has to say about this, we are all guessing a awful lot here and as far as things go, the website still lists May/June as the release window.

It was my impression that the release of modules (especially 3rd party modules) did not need to be tied to a major DCS world update at all and that updating can be handled directly by the 3rd party developer themselves.

If that is the case, there is probably no significant reason for any 3rd party developer to wait, especially if that means releasing at the same time as another anticipated module (the Sabre).

As far as I understand it, if the module has multiplayer (so far they all do), ED need to roll out the external 3d model and a flight model so that clients on servers can all see the aircraft.

Which means a DCS World update.

Considering that a module has never been released without a major version update to go with it. I would consider it highly likely.

So by this logic all modules which are announced between June and August 2014 might make it into one single version update... I like the idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!