Your fav tactics against Su-27 in a merge ?

PrototypeBayu8

Title says it all, write down your preferable tactics below.:)

Thanks,

PB8

Only merge with 75% internal fuel or less. Watch out for off boresight shots. Keep energy high.

My missiles failed more then usual last night, so i ended up in 3 merges against Flankers (2 against the same bird).

Only few things to add, kill the burner (or even go idle) and kick chaff and especially flares before you even spot a missile launch, just in case.

EDIT: this wasn't intended as a training video (just a muscle memory building one), it just turned out to match the topic, so i cut most of the searching and cruising part.

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 3 weeks later...
Start by creating a smaller engagement, 2v1 then 2v2. Most of the facts in this book apply:

http://www.scaredscriptless.com/images/jason/Star-Citizen/ACM/Fighter%20Combat%20-%20Tactics%20and%20Maneuvering.pdf

Also, you aren't going to get hits firing at 10nm unless you are very high and very fast. Think more like < 6nm. Firing a spoiler shot from > 6nm can force the bandit defensive which may or may not be advantageous.

Hmm.... you must always fight at low altitude, because when I try BVR I usually try to get an altitude advantage.

Above 25,000 feet I regularly score 30 to 25 nautical mile kills on the AI...

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

Hmm.... you must always fight at low altitude, because when I try BVR I usually try to get an altitude advantage.

Above 25,000 feet I regularly score 30 to 25 nautical mile kills on the AI...

He doesn't flight low. From what I remember flying with Sinus (and a few others), he goes high and fast. Like 45k and mach 1.8. Up there you can shoot from 10-20nmi depending on the threat's skill level.

The AI is why you're seeing it differently. Their abort/out maneuver sucks and they execute it way late, as I recall.

Lord of Salt

He doesn't flight low. From what I remember flying with Sinus (and a few others), he goes high and fast. Like 45k and mach 1.8. Up there you can shoot from 10-20nmi depending on the threat's skill level.

The AI is why you're seeing it differently. Their abort/out maneuver sucks and they execute it way late, as I recall.

Ah ok but they were amraam shots, shouldn't the AI be unaware until the missile goes pitbull?

It goes pitbull at 8nmi and it's low on energy for anything over ~12nmi - That's plenty of warning unless you're being lazy with the abort maneuver (which, again IIRC, the AI is).

Edited by Sweep
>langauge!

Lord of Salt

It goes pitbull at 8nmi and it's low on energy for anything over ~12nmi - That's plenty of warning unless you're being lazy with the abort maneuver (which, again IIRC, the AI is).

I see, I always figured that up against a competent pilot, shots with that much range would be mainly to suppress.

Nine times out of ten if I am able to maintain visual of the bandit I can shoot it down.

However, it gets more complicated if there are a lot of enemies and friendlies around. If that's the case I just try to mess with enemies situational awareness and sneak up from an unexpected direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

Lets keep it simple.

Merge at 500-550 kts indicated depending on your weight.

Pull as much G as possible straight up into a loop with full afterburner. U know the entry speed was correct when u almost blackout during first 180 deg of turn.

Acquire bandit visually ASAP (within 1-2 seconds from merge) and dont lose him.

After 90 deg into the loop center your lift vector on the bandit. Attempt to lock bandit with vertical scan. Keep pulling aggressively for the kill shot, bleeding as much airspeed as necessary in the process to get your weapons on target. If the target is still far away when you acquire lock, pull proper lead before firing an AIM-9.

Use BOTH AIM-9 and gun, as parameters allow. Use the gun confidently especially if it becomes a head-on encounter, you have the advantage in gun hit probability!

Anticipate R-73 launches. Cut throttle and spam flares as necessary, but don't break off your attack!!

The idea is to kill the bandit within the first 360 degrees of turning. If this fails, you may attempt a blowthrough escape after your initial attack. Your chances in prolonged entanglement depend on fuel weights and pilot skills. In most cases Flanker will have advantage.

Edited by Stuge

Would advise doing a G warm-up before doing the 1c vertical. That thing is demanding on the pilot, very good chance of GLOC if you overpull in the slightest.

The quickest way to warm up is to snake at 6g while keeping the hostile in the radar gimbals (assuming a 15+ mile commit range) - Do maybe two or four turns and that'll be good enough I think.

Lord of Salt

If you were in a real aircraft, getting shot at by a ream AIM-120 without being a 120 platform yourself, at that range you'd be suppressed right out of the fight if not blown out of the sky at a 12nm range. RL attacks vs. R-27ER equipped opponents begin at 20nm with an altitude of 20000', and that's just a standard, unclassified tidbit. 12nm for a 120 at that altitude is inside Rtr. It doesn't matter how competent you are, if you're not a 120 platform yourself you've just lost this fight one way or another. If you're not carrying ERs, the 120 will be tracking you with its own radar before you even get to shoot. And to be clear, I'm talking about realistic combat, not 1v1 air-quake encounters.

Technological differences do play a role, but realize that no one in reality flies their aircraft in the weeds when trying to compete for air superiority. It doesn't mean that ambushes involving hiding fighters at lower altitudes, behind mountains etc. can't be set up, but it isn't the 'DCS Airquake' formula of mow the grass, hunt for dots/IR return and attack from below.

Being low should on average be a huge disadvantage, not the other way around. It should work against you for everything except defense, and modern weapons reduce even that.

I see, I always figured that up against a competent pilot, shots with that much range would be mainly to suppress.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Sweep I've come to the conclusion that G warmup is.. unnecessary, personally I have not found a significant benefit. If u gloc, the merge speed may have been a bit too high.

Yeah maybe unnecessary for the 1c vert if you come in slower, sure - It helps elsewhere though.

If you warm up you can have higher onset rate, higher peak G, and sustain it much longer. You won't get the tunnel effects at like 7g or whatever, either.

Lord of Salt

If we are permitting pre-merge maneuvering, then you should try your best to be the low man at the merge as you will get the first use of gravity for your turn. It should also make buggin' out at the next merge easier, because you will be nose low with them nose high if they don't match you nose high.

I'm not sure how significant look up IR shots are in DCS tbh, but from my experience most high aspect shots can be defeated with flares, so I would also recommend going purely vertical.

If only we had a JHMS + 9x combo to make this easier :)

I'm not sure how significant look up IR shots are in DCS tbh, but from my experience most high aspect shots can be defeated with flares, so I would also recommend going purely vertical.

Look up should IRL work better then look down (unless looking at the sun of course) for IR shots as well. As long as you aren't launching it from an energy depleted state. A hot tail pipe and warm wings against the clean cold sky? Perfect lock.

Not enough flight time in DCS on my part to confirm or deny this though.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I just hopped on the 104th a few days ago after a long absence. I managed to kill a somewhat unsuspecting flanker from 24nm. Then DCS crashed while I was trying to land. No track, no tacview... :mad:

Loaded up again, DCS crashed again before I could even take off. Ugh...:cry:

Edited by SinusoidDelta

I just hopped on the 104th a few days ago after a long absence. I managed to kill a somewhat unsuspecting flanker from 24nm. Then DCS crashed while I was trying to land. No track, to tacview... :mad:

Loaded up again, crashed before I could even take off. Ugh...:cry:

That sucks!

Good to see you're back in the sim, tho'. :thumbup:

Lord of Salt