Bumpy ride in bad weather?!

twistking

This isn't a general aviation sim.

It also isn't strike fighters 2 :p It is however one of, if not the most realistic flight simulator that has a good graphics engine

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Some people seem to be complaining about the lack of features in SIM without having taken the time to understand what the controls in the ME actually do.

Effectively you have an average wind strength setting (wind speed), and a variation in wind strength setting (turbulence).

If you set a wind speed of 5 m/s you will get a constant wind speed of 5 m/s.

If you set a wind speed of 5 m/s and a turbulence of '30' (turbulence is in 0.1 m/s incremetns, so 30 * 0.1 = 3m/s) you will get wind that gusts between 2 m/s and 8 m/s*. There will also be a vertical component that varies between 3m/s up and 3 m/s down.

If you don't set the turbulence there will be no variation in windspeed and therefore no turbulence.

If you do, you'll have wind gusts, and the plane will bump up and down on landing, or while trying to line up guns/bombs/rockets on the ground.

In aircraft with high wing loading this will be less noticeable, in those with lower loading, more.

It's true, there is no modelling of 'windshear' / clear air turbulence at altitude, but at the altitudes where guns or unguided weapons are used A2G there will be.

Prior to the addition of the WWII aircraft, it was probably unnecessary - unless you're actually lining up for a gunshot, how would you tell it was modelled ?

There's no haptic feedback, and at altitude - no visual cues from the environment.

There is also no wind wave generated by hills. This would be a good addition.

Try putting

(* I'm at work so can't double check that - it's either that or 30 gets you +/- 1.5 m/s, but the idea's the same)

Cheers.

There's no haptic feedback, and at altitude - no visual cues from the environment.

There is also no wind wave generated by hills. This would be a good addition.

Try putting

(* I'm at work so can't double check that - it's either that or 30 gets you +/- 1.5 m/s, but the idea's the same)

I for one down the track would like to be "kicked around" and buffeted some more.

The use of DHM helps with haptic feedback as seen in the video below.

This is a video using two 3rd party apps to create the feel of somewhat realistic turbulence

DHM (Dynamic head movements) were used in the video as well

Real flight below, 20 knot crosswind landing, look at there head movement and the aircraft buffeting.

There is a link needed between (Buffeting & Dynamic head movements) if ED can add this further down the track it would be great.

This goes against the ED grain, but sometimes to be accurate you need to be more inaccurate. Like others have said you cannot simulate this accurately anyway, so throw in some more buffeting and randomization per weather strength setting and no one would know.

Priority 487

I do need this for the F/A18 and carrier ops, for when I'm out in rough sea/air conditions, it would just add that little bit more to the carrier night ops immersion.:thumbup:

c-MDv__13HU

A-10 Warthog Cockpit Video

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

So you're saying that if you set a cross wind at 10 m/s and turbulence at '60' (20 knots wind and 11 knots turbulence) you don't experience any buffeting in a lightly loaded aircraft while landing ?

Maybe you have a bug.

Perhaps you could make a track of a landing with those settings ?

In my install, those conditions require significant control movements to counter being 'kicked around' by the turbulence.

Not unlike in the RL videos you posted...

Cheers.

So you're saying that if you set a cross wind at 10 m/s and turbulence at '60' (20 knots wind and 11 knots turbulence) you don't experience any buffeting in a lightly loaded aircraft while landing ?

Maybe you have a bug.

Perhaps you could make a track of a landing with those settings ?

In my install, those conditions require significant control movements to counter being 'kicked around' by the turbulence.

Not unlike in the RL videos you posted...

Not sure if the turbulence setting really has a big effect at the moment? Perhaps it's still more WIP and will get more "pronounced" when setting very harsh conditions.

In the RL videos you see a lot of "constant movment" and buffeting in bad weather.

Below is an older video I found of the DCS A10 landing with a 20 knots via dynamic weather with some turbulence during landing.

Now I've cranked this all the way up to 60 in the turbulence setting and it looks very similar to this video below, there is movement sure, It would just be more realistic if the system really kicked you around more + add some Dynamic head movements when the weather is set really bad.

Like the OP's title / topic - "Bumpy ride in bad weather?" Dynamic head movements are possible, see Mig 21 cockpit shake, this is not set for turbulence tho. It's not a prority but it's just too nice thats all.

A10

Mig21

https://youtu.be/sMnnP7iPOFI?t=191

I will try and do a video with full turbulence soon.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Turbulence is a function of wind and turbulence settings and multiplicative. You need some wind, say 5m/s and a lot more turbulence, say 50-70. So apart from the post derailment early on, the people that can't get turbulence need to try harder to understand the sim, because it will batter you about until you are dizzy if you choose to set it up right.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Some people seem to be complaining about the lack of features in SIM without having taken the time to understand what the controls in the "Mission Editor" (ME) actually do.........................../

While that maybe true that experimenting more with the powerful "Mission Editor" that ED-DCS dev team created long ago might be underused.

It is not the same as a full fledged separate program that offers Dynamic Weather situations and real-time downloadable weather meta data from online sources.

This would be awesome to have where you fly a 4hr mission and on the way back you are challenged by sea storms heading back to carrier or strong front winds making it harder to fly. Also adding condensation and strong winds in between cloud layers and low pressure turbulence at low level flight as you are flying night low ops missions so the ideas here are endless for future potential and DCS World MAP hopefully.

There are some very impressive Dynamic and Real Weather Engines already providing some great effects and realism for immersion and desired flight time experiences here is one example.............

YouTube Comments:-

Uploaded on Mar 3, 2011

See Simul's trueSKY in action at GDC, stand BS236.

A complete dynamic environment for games and simulation. Available for all major console platforms, Simul Weather v.2: trueSKY is the most advanced and reliable sky system available.

trueSKY™ is a C++ library which generates weather system data and updates it in real time. trueSKY™ creates volumetric cloud data, and provides realtime access to that data via a lightweight API. The cloud system generates pure volumetric data, it is cross-platform and renderer-independent. The sample applications that come with the SDK show how realtime clouds can be rendered using the generated cloud data, in various graphics API's.

Reference Web-page Link:- https://simul.co/main/truesky/

Its why I posted here as well...... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3127572&postcount=36 ..........to draw more interest.

There are heaps of online pages on this topic to broaden the discussion further and would make DCS sim more sim and deep into what is aviation.

Sure its not going to happen tomorrow but it is needed. :smilewink: :thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

I'd say a completely randomly dynamic and / or real-time updating weather system from actual MET data might sound like a good idea (& might be for a civilian FS), but maybe isn't for a combat SIM.

What do you do if when everyone logs in for their multiplayer ground pounding mission (or even your own SP mission) you discover that the target area is 10/10 cloud cover ?

Or your WWII fighter's initial airbase has a storm strong enough that 95% of your online players can't get into the air or land ?

In reality, under those circumstances the mission would be flown tomorrow. Probably not workable for this SIM.

To me - it would be better to improve the ability of mission builders to control the parameters of the weather - whether that's standard weather or Dynamic.

To that end I'd like to see E.D. improve the weather modelling, but more along the lines of increasing its customisability.

For Dynamic weather, I think being able to define systems by pressure, but also by the starting location, and the direction and movement speed of the whole system would be an improvement.

For 'standard' weather, being able to create zones of weather & / or zones of wind might be a good idea.

Personally, I think if you play with it you'll find the current turbulence system isn't perfect, but is better than you imply (& isn't there already a setting for dynamic head movement that's just turned off by default ?).

A mission designer could then use weather more effectively as a tool for adding to the scenario of the mission.

There might be 10/10 cloud cover over most of the route for a mission, forcing the user to apply their navigation skills to get to the target area, but the designer could ensure that once they were at the target area there was actually the possibility to complete the mission.

Cheers.

Something else on turbulece is, that while it is dependent on windspeed in DCS, it should not be so. Turbulence can be caused by convections, which don't require wind at all. DCS also lacks the ability to control turbulence layers, since they hardly concur everywhere at the same time.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Talking about an "external program to create real dynamic weather" you should try out DAWS, which uses real life METAR data to set weather conditions and "injects" it into your mission, before start.

Currently the closest thing to "real-time dynamic weather" you can get in DCS.

We use it on the squadron server and thus can use METAR to prepare flight plans etc. offline and it works pretty well.

DAWS link:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144855

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I support the wishes of the many for a great sim

Talking about an "external program to create real dynamic weather" you should try out DAWS, which uses real life METAR data to set weather conditions and "injects" it into your mission, before start.

Currently the closest thing to "real-time dynamic weather" you can get in DCS.

We use it on the squadron server and thus can use METAR to prepare flight plans etc. offline and it works pretty well.

Yeah, i did download will eventually play around with it thx :thumbup:

But one day hoping for a full Dynamic weather engine implementation for DCS like other sims.

I found another cool video considering DCS F-18C module.............

How stressful and entertaining will that be to do from your chair safe i might add LoL

Also this one is kool..................

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Talking about an "external program to create real dynamic weather" you should try out DAWS, [...]

It's a great weather mod but it's not working any more with the current DCS versions or did I miss anything?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Bumpy ride in bad weather?!

Interesting.................

I heard that low level mountainous flying in small remote airbases is more dangerous due to low level sheer and cross winds creating turbulence affects through the valley's.

Like in this video........

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

while I agree with OP, you cant model turbulence in any sim.. flight or not.. you want turbulence get on an A320 and open your gaming laptop and fire up dcs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.