SPI to Markpoint/Waypoint while weapons are selected?

NakedSquirrel

Sorry, yet another thread about SPI....

I'm trying to get a better handle on Markpoints.

I am able to cycle through them and keep them as SPI when I am in NAV mode (weapons off).

So if I am in Nav mode, I can swap between mark points and slave my TGP and MAV cameras to the selected mark point just by hitting DMS up or next steerpoint on the UFC...

The problem is that once I switch to a weapon system like a Maverik or GBU, The markpoint no longer retains SPI, so cycling through markpoints no longer slaves the TGP and Mav to where I want them to look.

Am I doing something wrong, or do you have to swap to Nav mode between missile launches and bomb drops in order to switch the SPI to the next mark point?

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

TMS right, creates markpoint

TMS down long is Sets SPI to Steer

China Hat FORWARD is Slave all to SPI.

This should give you the ability to to select next/previous Markpoints and slew all sensors to the Markpoint, as long as the Auxiliary Avionics Panel Steer PT Selector is set to Mark.

This is the quickest way to rifle Mavs on several targets with minimal button presses.

Without seeing a track hat I think you are mission is TMS Forward long.

You can cycle through mark points but each time you have to select that point as SPI.

(Did that answer the question?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Actually After re-reading I think I know what NakedSquirrel is encountering.

If the mark points are on a static position and the target has not moved, meaning you do not have to slew any of the SOI, then the steps I gave should work.

BUT if you have to move you TGP (even a little) to more accurately set it on your target then you do have TMS FWD LONG SET SPI to update the SPI and this is more important with JDAMS, but not really required for Mavs, as they will only lock on according to it's seeker ( use TMS FORWARD Short to lock it) .

Is this what you are experiencing?

Edited by Dagger71

Nevermind.... I tried again this evening and everything worked as it should x.x

What was happening was I would create mark points, give them SPI, and slave my TGP and Mav to the mark point. It worked fine when I swapped between markpoints in NAV mode, but as soon as I hit the master mode button and swapped to Mav's or GBU's, it would no longer be SPI.

So basically, in Nav mode I could cycle Markpoints with no trouble, the TGP and Maverik would move to the next selected mark point, but when I had a weapon selected, it didn't move, even with china hat forward long. (This is even after a couple of restarts)

Later this evening, it worked fine. I could change mark points and slave the Mav and TGP to the mark point even when I wasn't in NAV mode.

I dont know what is causing the issues. I wonder if there is an issue with the open beta or the missions I am flying. Yesterday, for some dumb reason, when I hit china hat forward long it would cause my right MFD to be SOI... as if I were hitting DMS right.

On top of all of that... my damned SAS occasionally decides to automatically flip all the switches back down! Just to keep me on my toes.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

You mean TMS AFT Long... SPI to Steer.

???? Nuts.

Yep. That is absolutly correct. I was picturing a Target at a Mark / Steerpoint and making that target SPI. Not making the Steerpoint itself SPI. That’s what I get for trying to do it from memory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm trying to get a better handle on Markpoints.

I am able to cycle through them and keep them as SPI when I am in NAV mode (weapons off).

What do you mean when you say Nav mode?

There is indeed a Nav mode, but it doesn't sound like you mean the same thing I'm thinking about. ;)

The Master Mode Control Button on the stick cycles between the master modes (short press: Nav, Gun, CCIP, CCRP, long press: Air to Air). This master mode should not tamper with the SPI, and Nav mode or CCIP for instance would not update your SPI (it could, under certain circumstances, but I don't believe that's what's happening here).

What was happening was I would create mark points, give them SPI, and slave my TGP and Mav to the mark point.

What do you mean by giving a markpoint SPI?

Check the lower left corner of the HUD. That's your current SPI Generator, or SPI Generator source.

It sounds as if you hit TMS Right Short (Create Markpoint from SOI), followed by TMS Forward Long (Make SPI). Now the fun thing about "Make SPI" is that it sets your SOI as SPI Generator. So if your TGP was SOI at that time, your TGP would now generate the SPI. Basically, with TGP as SPI Generator, where ever the TGP looks at, that's your SPI. And of course "Slave all to SPI" won't do anything to where the TGP looks, then, beause it is already looking at the SPI. ;)

The same is true with other sensors, so if your Mav was SOI when you hit "Make SPI", then your Mav would now generate the SPI, and slaving all to SPI won't affect the Mav seeker, because by definition it is already pointing at the SPI.

Could that be the culprit?

In order to get the SPI from Markpoints, you need to make sure that the SPI source is "STPT" (steerpoint). You should always double check that that is really the case by looking at the lower left corner of the HUD. As was said before, in order to set the SPI generator source to STPT, hit TMS Aft Long (SPI to Steerpoint).

Plus, of course, the waypoint database must be set to MARK or else you would cycle through waypoints or mission points instead of markpoints. To do that, you can simply set the STEER Point Dial on the AAP to MARK, but it sounds like you already had this covered. Just double checking. ;)

Edited by Yurgon

Sounds like maybe some double mapping going on.

Maybe try opening the controls settings and walking through all your HOTAS functions to make sure they’re correct?

Yup like Emmy said, sounds like you have some mapping issues. happens sometimes after an update.

???? Nuts.

Yep. That is absolutly correct. I was picturing a Target at a Mark / Steerpoint and making that target SPI. Not making the Steerpoint itself SPI. That’s what I get for trying to do it from memory.

Meh happens all the time. To this day I use the graphical HOTAS cheat sheet. in front of me. It's a 6 year old piece of paper!

BUT if you have to move you TGP (even a little) to more accurately set it on your target then you do have TMS FWD LONG SET SPI to update the SPI and this is more important with JDAMS, but not really required for Mavs, as they will only lock on according to it's seeker ( use TMS FORWARD Short to lock it) .

Huh? As long as your TGP is designated as your SPI generator (HUD says TGP in its bottom left corner), it will continiously update the SPI to wherever you slew the TGP to, without having to press TMS FORWARD LONG again.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Huh? As long as your TGP is designated as your SPI generator (HUD says TGP in its bottom left corner), it will continiously update the SPI to wherever you slew the TGP to, without having to press TMS FORWARD LONG again.

It's not what I was talking about. I was referring to setting up mark points as SPI for quick rifling of mavs.

It's not what I was talking about. I was referring to setting up mark points as SPI for quick rifling of mavs.

Mark points are being created with TMS RIGHT SHORT, not TMS FWD LONG...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I did and you were talking about moving the TGP to set it more accurately on the target and then pressing TMS FWD LONG to update the SPI. That is incorrect, as you do not need to press TMS FWD LONG to update the SPI as long as the TGP is still designated as your SPI generator. You don't say anything about mark points there.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I did and you were talking about moving the TGP to set it more accurately on the target and then pressing TMS FWD LONG to update the SPI. That is incorrect, as you do not need to press TMS FWD LONG to update the SPI as long as the TGP is still designated as your SPI generator. You don't say anything about mark points there.

NO I said if using MARK as SPI. please re-read. IF you need to change the SPI point because the mark point is off target then you need to update.

I'm not going to start another 10 page argument for nothing because you refuse to read and comprehend. Sorry, the problem he has was key mapping issues.

Lets close this thread.

Once you have your mark points made, you want to be on the Mark Point function of the CDU and Steer Point showing in the HUD.

Call up Mark A, slave all, MAV SOI, TMS UP SHORT to lock the Mav and Rifle.

DMS UP SHORT to call up Mark B, Slave All, MAV SOI, TMS UP SHORT to lock the Mav and Rifle.

Easy Peasy...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

NO I said if using MARK as SPI. please re-read. IF you need to change the SPI point because the mark point is off target then you need to update.

I'm not going to start another 10 page argument for nothing because you refuse to read and comprehend. Sorry, the problem he has was key mapping issues.

Lets close this thread.

You can't update a mark point, you can only create a new mark point.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Once you have your mark points made, you want to be on the Mark Point function of the CDU and Steer Point showing in the HUD.

Call up Mark A, slave all, MAV SOI, TMS UP SHORT to lock the Mav and Rifle.

DMS UP SHORT to call up Mark B, Slave All, MAV SOI, TMS UP SHORT to lock the Mav and Rifle.

Easy Peasy...

DMS short requires HUD SOI, so to do it rapid I set up the IFCC rocker to an arrow key so I can keep Mav soi and just need to do TMS up short and fire, click arror to next Markpoint, TMS up short and fire.

But you get it.

You can't update a mark point, you can only create a new mark point.

Again we are talking about separate issues. Context man, context!!

No need to create a new mark point if the original is off by a little. Make TGP SPI, slew, Mav SOI, TMS up short and fire. switch markpoint. TMS up short and fire.

Again we are talking about separate issues. Context man, context!!

No need to create a new mark point if the original is off by a little. Make TGP SPI, slew, Mav SOI, TMS up short and fire. switch markpoint. TMS up short and fire.

You were the one who talked about updating mark points (which is not possible), not me...

Tornado3 small.jpg

You were the one who talked about updating mark points (which is not possible), not me...

These are my exact words:

"BUT if you have to move you TGP (even a little) to more accurately set it on your target then you do have TMS FWD LONG SET SPI to update the SPI and this is more important with JDAMS,"

These are my exact words:

"BUT if you have to move you TGP (even a little) to more accurately set it on your target then you do have TMS FWD LONG SET SPI to update the SPI and this is more important with JDAMS,"

I know and mark points aren't even mentioned there with a single word, even though you then went on to insist that you were talking about mark points there.

Tornado3 small.jpg