A better zoom veiw in VR

and then immediately also say that it's impossible to balance zoom levels.

It’s not impossible to give VR a bigger zoom level. That’s fine. Reducing the monitor zoom level though isn’t reasonable.

All you have to do is decide on a normalised display size range that should exist across the board

You want DCS to factor in the size and resolution of every player’s monitor? And how would that be accomplished? By having DCS programmed with the hardware ID of every display available in the world? You want the game to detect how far away players are sitting as well?

I think ED has better things to spend their time on.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It’s not impossible to give VR a bigger zoom level. That’s fine. Reducing the monitor zoom level though isn’t reasonable.

Why not?

And how would that be accomplished?
Geometry 101 and a standard Windows API call. Again, it has been demonstrated to you time and time again, and no matter how many times you refuse to read up on the topic, reality will not change to fit your assumptions.
Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Why not?

Why not reduce the monitor zoom level? Because it’s consistent with what’s in every other flight sim. And it would piss people off to take that away. The average screen size most people use probably isn’t that large, maybe 24”-27”. Fully zoomed in on that size screen is only about 1:1 size anyways. I’m not aware of any game that considers the FOV a “cheat”. Many games like FPS have adjustments for this as a player preference. You’re simply trading one advantage for another.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Geometry 101 and a standard Windows API call.

But it’s work ED would have to do that probably most people don’t care about. You seriously think they’d add some sort of display detection to “balance” the game? No other game does that I’m sure. There are hardware restrictions in eSports but this isn’t that.

Edited by SharpeXB

Why not reduce the monitor zoom level? Because it’s consistent with what’s in every other flight sim.

So just because other games are unrealistic, DCS should be as well? That's not a particularly good argument.

The average screen size most people use probably isn’t that large, maybe 24”-27”. Fully zoomed in on that size screen is only about 1:1 size anyways.
LMAO no. Please do the maths next time.

At full zoom, the 50mil reticle in an F-5 takes up 134mm out of the full 820mm width on my 35" monitor — for that to be 1:1, I would have to sit at more than 2½ meters away form the monitor. At full zoom, the 5mil release cue in an A-10 takes up 15mm (inner) to 23mm (outer) — for that to be 1:1, I would have to sit between 3 and 4.6 meters away from the monitor.

Not only is it nowhere near 1:1, but what counts as “full zoom” varies from aircraft to aircraft. And even if we assume that the game already applies zoom level linearly based on physical size (the thing you claim is impossible) rather than pixel count and compensate by the 25% difference, I would still have to sit well into the next room to get achieve a 1:1 ratio at maximum zoom.

At my regular distance from the monitor, that 5mil cue should be ~4.5mm, which coincides with the outer diameter of the cue at the 50% zoom level (i.e. lever straight up in the middle position if you're using the TM Warthog friction lever as your zoom control). In the F-5, getting the correct size on the 50mil reticle requires me to push the lever slightly forward, somewhere in the ~60-70% range.

But it’s work ED would have to do that probably most people don’t care about.

It's not work, as been proven conclusively to you time and time again, and given how often you have to jump in to try to kill all requests for this kind of move towards better balancing and more realism, you know full well that lots of people care about it.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

It's not work, as been proven conclusively to you time and time again, and given how often you have to jump in to try to kill all requests for this kind of move towards better balancing and more realism, you know full well that lots of people care about it.

I’m not trying to kill anyone’s request unless that request is to handicap other players.

Go ahead and ask for VR to have a bigger zoom level.

VR must really suck if 2x zoom level isn’t enough for you to see well. That’s two times life sized and you’re still unable to see well enough? The max zoom level on a monitor is not that large.

I get it that VR headsets resolution is pretty awful to play this sim with but please don’t ask for everyone else to be dragged down to your level.

I’m not trying to kill anyone’s request unless that request is to handicap other players.

Having parity and balance is not a handicap to anyone. That's kind of the whole point.

VR must really suck if 2x zoom level isn’t enough for you to see well.

2D must really suck if getting reduced to 2x zoom level isn't enough for you to see well. See how that works?

That’s two times life sized and you’re still unable to see well enough? The max zoom level on a monitor is not that large.
The max zoom level on a monitor is in the region of 3–5x depending on the aircraft.

The max zoom level on a monitor is in the region of 3–5x depending on the aircraft.

Right. 3-5x on a 24” screen. That equates to just a little larger than 1:1

VR gets 2x life sized. That’s much larger. So the whole argument doesn’t make sense.

Right. 3-5x on a 24” screen. That equates to just a little larger than 1:1

No. That equates to 3–5:1, by very definition — as in, 3–5 times larger than 1:1, quite a bit more than “just a little”.

Edited by Tippis

No. That equates to 3–5:1, by very definition — as in, 3–5 times larger than 1:1, quite a bit more than “just a little”.

Yeah but VR provides a 1:1 view to start with. Full zoom on a desktop sized monitor is only a bit larger than 1:1

The zoom view for VR is about resolution, not size. With a monitor it’s to make up for size and resolution.

I think ED figures 2x for VR is about equal to 5x on a monitor. So they already provided balance for the feature.

Yeah but VR provides a 1:1 view to start with.

As does the 1:1 view on a monitor.

Full zoom on a desktop sized monitor is only a bit larger than 1:1
No. Full zoom on a monitor is, as mentioned, 3–5 times larger than 1:1. You can keep ignoring simple maths if you like, but as always, your refusal to accept that 3–5x zoom means that things are quite a bit larger than 1:1 (3–5 times larger, as it happens) will not change that fact.

At full zoom, an element that should be 4.5mm across is 15–23mm across (depending on where you count). That's 3–5x larger than it should be. At full zoom, an element that should be 45mm across is 134mm. That's 3x larger.

You really need to stop repeating that wilfully ignorant nonsense about full zoom being 1:1 because it only proves you have no idea what you're talking about; that you have made zero attempts to check your baseless assumptions; and that you are unable to pick up on things that have been told you repeatedly. You're wrong. Again. Deal with it.

The zoom view for VR is about resolution, not size.
No. The zoom view for VR is about FoV, not size or resolution. Same as on any other display device. Because that's what zoom is.

I think
I'm going to stop you there. No, ED does not think that 2x is the same as 3–5x. No-one with any understanding of basic geometry does.
Edited by Tippis

As does the 1:1 view on a monitor.

Do you think the view on a 24” monitor two feet away from you is 1:1? I mean the 3D world you’re looking at in the game.

No. The zoom view for VR is about FoV, not size or resolution.

How is that? VR doesn’t have a “field of view” like a monitor, it’s a life sized 3D view.

The reason they put a “zoom” feature on it is to help make up for the low resolution, so you can see smaller things by magnifying them. Like reading cockpit displays or seeing far off targets. If VR had high enough resolution it wouldn’t need a zoom. And as headsets improve that feature won’t be needed as much or at all.

Edited by SharpeXB

Do you think the view on a 24” monitor two feet away from you is 1:1?

At no point has anything of the kind been suggested so I have no idea where you got that nonsense from. I can't help noticing that you're still terribly hooked on the idea that physical monitor size is a huge determining factor in any of this, in spite of having it had explained to you why you're wrong about this as well.

Oh, and here's an exercise for you to see if you've learned anything about this topic: at what size would a 50mil reticle be 1:1 when viewed from a 2" distance?

How is that? VR doesn’t have a “field of view” like a monitor
Yes it does. All 3D viewports do. It's how 3D world coordinates are transformed into 2D coordinates on a display — you can't light up the right pixels without it.

The reason they put a “zoom” feature on it is to help make up for the low resolution, so you can see smaller things by magnifying them.
That's a pretty good argument for reducing zoom for non-VR views, and not just to the level VR has but lower still.
Edited by Tippis