F-86 Sabre campaign - WIP sneak peek

Reflected

Let me give you a sneak peek into my upcoming campaign called “Hunters over the Yalu”. This is a sequel to my “Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney” campaign, but you can start with this one straight away if you like. Although the Korean war is under represented in DCS - we have a limited planeset and no map of Korea - I just love the F-86 Sabre too much. I’ve been toying with the idea of creating an immersive single player campaign for this module, thinking about how to make it interesting despite the limitations. I think I finally managed to achieve this goal.

On one hand, I split the campaign into 2 parts: at the beginning you’ll command the 67th Fighter Bomber Squadron carrying out a variety of ground attacks, then you’ll transfer to the 39th Fighter Interceptor Squadron to fly some massive fighter sweeps in MIG Alley. On the other hand, I focused more on the personal side of the story with over double the amount of voiceovers, radio broadcasts, unexpected events and other Easter eggs. Also, based on user feedback, I gave a lot more hints as to what the player is supposed to be doing, in the form of radio messages, on-screen messages, radio items, map marks, etc... I firmly believe that while playing this campaign you’ll be able to forget about flying over the Caucasus, and will feel like a part of a Sabre squadron in the spring of 1953.

Spudknocker, who runs one of my favorite DCS YouTube channels, kindly agreed to be my guinea pig, the first person to test the campaign. He made this playthrough video of mission one (minus the custom skins! ), which is kind of an intro mission - things will only get more complicated from here on. If you like it, and you’re interested in further sneak peeks, please subscribe to his channel, and bombard him with comments asking for more. The campaign is nearly finished, so stay tuned. :pilotfly:

attachment.php?attachmentid=217005&stc=1&d=1568126949

hoty.thumb.jpg.47f2aaf9ed80d7bb7822046be6cf9599.jpg

Cool! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Just watched Spud's video, looks like a very nicely done Campaign .. tough he didn't show what the debriefing looked like :(

How did you managed to circumvent DCS's lack of period units? On my own missions I resort to the use of Mods, like Dol's B-29, but that route isn't feasible on paid Campaigns :)

Will buy it as soon as it gets finished and on the e-Shop .. wish you all the best.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you Rudel!

Like I said, I started by splitting the campaign in 2 parts, serving with 2 different squadrons. The first part is ground pounding, the second part is aerial fighting. This already helps a lot with variety. 12 ground attack missions might become boring after a while, just like 12 fighter sweeps. Now you get both, and more. Then, I tried to avoid making the missions repetitive by adding lots of unexpected events, radio calls, secondary targets, or building the personality of the characters, fighting Casey Jones, etc... I can't tell you more without spoilers, but you will see :) Also, leading a tight formation of 24 Sabres against a large bandit train at 30k feet doesn't get boring very easily :)

• 4 weeks later...

“Rooster Leader, Tower, you are cleared for takeoff, runway 27.”

2 more sneak peek screenshots from my upcoming Sabre campaign, taken by EightBall. You still have 2 weeks to enter my screenshot contest and win a free copy :pilotfly:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4069284#post4069284

attachment.php?attachmentid=219168&stc=1&d=1570944824

attachment.php?attachmentid=219169&stc=1&d=1570944824

09098843-BFC9-41C8-98F4-A7D54AAD049C.thumb.png.12d5cd5aae2a60e69a22afc4ec128a51.png

0DD6F3ED-9FA2-43EC-A62E-C98FFFF2A74D.thumb.png.215fe70cd90bb8c08ac9ff0b28691222.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought .. but will have to re-train on the Sabre, as it’s been a while since I last flew it :)

Thanks for creating content for the older birds :) hope this sells well and so you could create another from the red perspective, with the Mig-15 :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 weeks later...