Dora start only in second attemp - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Vino

Default Dora starts only in second attemp

Having trouble with this bird. It nevert fires up in the first attemp. I’m doing everything by the book. Even in training mission it does not start. Everyone else having this problem?

Last edited by Vino; 07-03-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Bun

Crack the throttle a bit and wiggle it as you pull the starter.
Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Sharkh

I had this also but than I have tried to spin it up a bit longer than the suggested (25? sec) than it seems its is always starting for the first try.

I also realized that the takeoff tutorial and some of its instruction might be outdated or something becasue it did not work when I have tried everything done "by the book" (instructor suggested).

For example When I bought the module I have tried to do the takeoff according to the suggestions and I failed many times than I tried my way and realized it might be that the characteristic of the plane might have been changed a bit since these instructions were created because I feel that the ideal speed of unclocking/locking the tailwheel (releaseing the stick towards neutral position) while accelerating is not the one the instructor suggests.

So maybe they have changed something with the engine startup a bit also thats why the suggested spin up time is not enough. I can be wrong though because I am very far from a "DCS exper"t.
Sharkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

The tutorial mission is outdated and contains some incorrect info indeed - for example the suggested stick-neutral speed of 200 kph is nonsense, as the plane lifts off already at 180.

Generally, old training mission rarely get fixed/updated in DCS (unfortunately), so it's recommended not to spend much time on them.

As for the startup, use electric power from the ground crew - seems to be spinning the flywheel to higher RPM and the engine catches on the first try easily.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Vino

I tried to spin the flywheel for 35 seconds and the engine fired up with no problem. Thanks again!
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
TWC_SLAG

There are two throttle settings. “Start” and “Idle”. Set the first before flywheel begins spinning, wait ~25 seconds, activate the clutch. When the engine starts, switch to “Idle”. You need to advance the throttle a little, to keep the engine from quitting.

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte 270 MB, Intel i7 7700 3.6ghz CPU, GTX 1070 GPU,
16gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 49" 4K 60hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, 2xCougar MFDs, Gametrix Seat, Sim Shaker for Aviators

Last edited by TWC_SLAG; 07-04-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: To
TWC_SLAG is offline   Reply With Quote