Dora stall speed - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
Crumpp+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
So, the airfoil section numbers must be used very carefully.
In subsonic in-compressible flow theory as I was taught in college...the airfoil 2D data is used and converted to a 3D airfoil using the induced angle of attack.

I also use it because it was the predominate theory at the time in the 1940's with a few variations.

In the BGS system:

18.25 = correction factor for knots

Cl = coefficient of lift

AR = Aspect Ratio

Induced Angle of Attack = 18.25(Cl/AR)

3D wing angle of attack = 2D Angle of Attack + Induced Angle of Attack

So...in subsonic in-compressible flow theory you USE the 2D data. It is a key element to the determining the performance. For example drag computations, the reference area is designed to just use wing area...not wetted area. Use wetted area and it will deliver nonsense.

Quote:
The next nail from my side :

You operate wind tunnel data. As well as German-French WT test. But the point is that the flight tests always shows lower CLmax because of trim losses - I mean stabiliser negative lift that is very sufficient at high trimmed CL's.

And the second point, I guess, you must take in account: the wing area taken for the plane generally includes the area of the fuselage that has very different lift/drag properties. The actual lift for the whole plane is produced by the wings (of less area that is specified for the plane) and the fuselage.
This is far down in the weeds.

If you do this with the system I am using...you will over think it and get the wrong performance. It is set up to use the 2D data and adjusted for conditions from that point.

See, that is why I was not screaming for you to change things.

Last edited by Crumpp; 10-08-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #22
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpp View Post
That is really Ok, Hummingbird. Just as there are different ways to skin a cat, there is different theory in aerodynamics. Mixing them can bring trouble. Even switching between the BGS and SI can deliver slightly different results.
I just wish we would be using the actual real life figures, as that way we are sure that no bias is included.

The higher real life CLmax of the 190's wing is what allowed a much less powerful Fw190 Jabo to keep up with a light and souped up P-51B in a turning comparison during British tests despite a noticable disparity in wing loading and power.

All evidence available points towards a ~1.58 Clmax for the Fw190 and a ~1.35 Clmax for the P-51, that is when all factors are considerd. Thus I really did wish this was taken into account by Yo-Yo, esp. as I find it a lot better than relying on sketchy calculated data from wartime British tests which have since been known to be of a very dubious nature and wrong about a lot of things.

Last edited by Hummingbird; 10-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #23
Crumpp+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
just wish we would be using the actual real life figures, as that way we are sure that no bias is included.
All the systems use real life figures and deliver performance that tells us what the airplane will do.

Yo-Yo is using a very detailed mathematical model. If it accounts for such things as fuselage lift then he is getting the same performance result without the higher CL. He is multiplying a smaller Coefficient of Lift by a larger reference area.

Think of it like this:

2*4 = 8

1*8= 8

Different numbers for the same answer.

That is why our performance agrees. The lines on a chart can be misleading too. It looks like a larger difference in Rate of Turn but it actually ~2 degrees a second. What both show is if either pilot tries to match the other...he will lose. The FW-190 cannot fly as slow as the P-51 and its ROT deteriorates if the pilot tries to match the P-51. Lag pursuit in the turn and keep your speed up. You will out-turn Mustangs in the Dora in DCS. If you look behind the P-51 and try to put your aircraft at that point and resist the urge to haul back on the sitck..it works as it should.

If you look AT the P51 and try to match its geometry and speed...you going to find your Focke Wulf full of .50 caliber holes.

The airplanes are equal dogfighters in both mathematical analysis and the game.

He can test it offline but if he is not using the same system or similar to that Focke Wulf used...the performance will not be correct.

Last edited by Crumpp; 10-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
Yo-Yo
ED Team

THis is Russian report on the 190.

Minimal speed (gauge reading) is 210 kph.

There is a landing speed observation WITH KNOWN MASS.

Quote:
Летные испытания самолета FW-190 (ЭИ № 23 (219), декабрь 1943 г.)

Испытания проходил одномоторный трофейный истребитель FW-190A4 № 2310 с мотором BMW-801 выпуска 1942 г.
Сведения о самолете FW-190 приводились в ЭИ № 16 и 46, 1942 г. и в журнале «ТВФ» № 1, 1943 г. Здесь мы укажем лишь на особенности самолета и на отдельные агрегаты, хорошо показавшие себя во время летных испытаний.
По заключению НИИ ВВС КА, где самолет проходил испытания, детального изучения и внедрения на отечественных самолетах заслуживают:
1) компоновка винтомоторной группы в виде самостоятельного агрегата, включающего мотор, мотораму, маслобак, маслорадиатор, масляный фильтр и трубопроводы. Такое выделение ВМГ в отдельный агрегат очень выгодно в производственном и эксплуатационном отношениях;
2) принудительное охлаждение головок цилиндров и продувка маслорадиатора с помощью вентилятора, что обеспечивает нормальные температуры цилиндров и масла на всех режимах полета и работу мотора без применения юбки капота и заслонки маслорадиатора;
3) автоматизация управления винтомоторной группы, сосредоточенного в одном рычаге, что в значительной мере облегчает летчику ведение воздушного боя;
4) конструкция и система управления фонарем кабины;
5) электросистема убирания и выпуска шасси и посадочных щитков;
6) электрический синхронизатор пушки MG-151 и пулеметов;
7) патрон с электрозапалом для пушки MG-151, уменьшающий синхронное время;
управление подвижными щитками шасси, установленными на фюзеляже;
9) автоматический стопор костыля, стопорящий костыль при полном выбирании ручки управления на себя;
10) полная автоматизация и контроль работы стрелково-пушечного вооружения, что значительно облегчает работу летчика в бою.
Взлет

Положение щитков, град Полетный вес, кг Обороты мотора, об/мин Давление наддува, атм Длина разбега, м Скорость отрыва, км/ч Длина взлетной дистанции до набора Н = 25 м, м
0 3989 2450 1,35 520 165 1300
10 3989 2450 1,35 500 160 1250

Летная оценка самолета

Руление. Самолет легко управляется на рулении и устойчиво выдерживает прямолинейность ' направления. Наличие автоматического стопора хвостового колеса, связанного с ручкой управления (при ручке, взятой полностью на себя, хвостовое колесо стопорится), облегчает руление.
Ножные гидравлические тормоза эффективны.
Взлет. Особенность на взлете — большая величина пробега 520 м (без щитков), поэтому взлет, как правило, производится с выпущенными в стартовое (10°) положение щитками. Скорость отрыва при нормальном взлете равна 165 км/ч.
В начале разбега самолет имеет стремление к разворачиванию, что легко парируется педалями. Усилия на ручку для подъема хвоста значительны. Наилучшее положение стабилизатора для взлета +1,5 деления по указателю в кабине (что составляет 2").
Набор высоты. На наборе высоты после убирания шасси и щитков самолет тянет на нос.
Триммеры рулей высоты отсутствуют, и нагрузка на ручку снимается изменением угла установки стабилизатора; в связи с этим шасси следует убирать на скорости не менее 200 км/ч. Наивыгоднейшая скорость набора высоты до 5000 м составляет 275 км/ч и поддерживается до этой высоты постоянной. После 5000 м скорость набора следует уменьшать через каждые 1000 м на 5 км/ч. Вторая скорость нагнетателя включается автоматически при достижении высоты 2500 м; при этом наддув равен 1,35 атм.
Горизонтальный полет. Самолет устойчив во всем диапазоне скоростей. На максимальной скорости поведение самолета нормальное. Минимальная скорость 210 км/ч (по прибору).

Летные данные

Максимальная скорость на номинальной
мощности, n=2450 об/мин, p = 1,35 атм, км/ч:
у земли 510
на 1-й границе высотности H = 1800 м. 544
на 2-й границе высотности H = 6000 м. 610
Время подъема на 6000 м, мин 6,8
Практический потолок, м 10 500
Время набора практического потолка, мин. 32
Время выполнения виража, с.
на H = 1000 м 22
на H = 5000 м 30
Виражи левые посадочными щитками
Время выполнения боевого разворота при H = 1000 м, 21
Скорость ввода 500 км/ч,
скорость вывода 250 км/ч (по прибору)
Время переворота на H = 1000 м, с 15
Скорость ввода 270 км/ч, скорость вывода 450 км/ч
Время выполнения петли, с 21
Маневренность. На пилотаже самолет отличается большими переменными нагрузками на ручку управления рулем высоты.
Перекладывание из виража в вираж легкое. При выполнении виража со щитками, выпущенными в посадочное положение, самолет становится устойчивее и время виража уменьшается на 1–2 с. При выполнении вертикального маневра с набором высоты быстро теряется скорость.
Петля выполняется без потери высоты.
При выводе из фигур и из пикирования нагрузки на ручку чрезмерно большие. Для облегчения вывода необходимо пользоваться стабилизатором (ввиду отсутствия триммеров).
Пикирует самолет устойчиво, быстро набирая скорость.
Планирование и посадка. Самолет с убранными щитками устойчиво планирует на скорости 270 км/ч, а с выпущенными щитками — на скорости 240 км/ч (по прибору); эти скорости являются наивыгоднейшими для планирования на посадку.
Глиссада планирования крутая. При подходе к земле с полностью убранным газом на скорости 240 км/ч выдерживание над землей небольшое, самолет быстро теряет скорость и приземляется на три точки с почти подобранной ручкой. На пробеге и в момент приземления самолет устойчив. Длина пробега велика и равна 530 м.
Взлет и посадка производились на бетонированной дорожке. Посадка производилась с тормозами.
Полеты производились до полного выгорания горючего. Режимы максимальной дальности подобраны специальным полетом на определение расходов горючего по бензиномеру на различных скоростях полета.

Посадка

Положение щитков, град Полетный вес, кг Длина пробега,м Время пробега,с Посадочная скорость, км/ч Длина посадочной дистанции H = 25 м, м
60 3800 530 20,3 154 1120
Дальность и продолжительность полета

Высота полета, м Режим Скорость полета. км/ч Число оборотов мотора, об/мин Давление наддува, атм Дальность, км Продолжительность полета
5260 0,9 максимальной скорости 542 2100 1,1 552 1 ч 02 мин
1245 режим максимальной дальности 395 1700 0,97 983 2 ч 30 мин
Takeoff

Flaps, deg Mass, kg Engine rpm Manifold pressure, at TO dist, m TO speed, kph TO distance to obstacle Н = 25m, m
0 3989 2450 1,35 520 165 1300
10 3989 2450 1,35 500 160 1250

Landing

Flaps, deg Mass, kg Landing run, m Landing run time, s Landing speed, kph Landing distance from H = 25 m, m
60 3800 530 20,3 154 1120

Last edited by Yo-Yo; 10-08-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
Hummingbird

What corner speed should I maintain in the 190 to out turn the P-51 ingame Crumpp?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
What corner speed should I maintain in the 190 to out turn the P-51 ingame Crumpp?
What turn do you want? Instanteneous or sustained? The answer will be different.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #27
Crumpp+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Горизонтальный полет. Самолет устойчив во всем диапазоне скоростей. На максимальной скорости поведение самолета нормальное. Минимальная скорость 210 км/ч (по прибору).
Is that stall speed or just the front side of the power curve? That falls in the vicinity of where the power curve changes in my estimation and most aircraft exhibit some instability on the backside.

Reason I ask is it that is not very good agreement with the RAE findings or the vicinity of Vs1 (94.4KEAS) using Focke Wulf's CLmax of 1.58.

Quote:
That is the landing roll, right? 530Meters.

Quote:
Weight the numbers are corrected too, right?

3800Kg = 8377.6lbs

That is 15% error over what Chuck Yeager the perfect test pilot with maximum braking application could do. Good flying considering that pilots experience in an FW-190! It is very plausible.

Let's see what our CL has to be for a landing speed of 154KpH IAS =

Whew...that is off the PEC charts....

Ballparking ~ -10mph PEC correction

154Kph IAS = 95.69mph IAS - 10mph PEC = 85.69mph CAS

85.69 mph CAS * .869 = 74.4KEAS

A 8377.6 lbs Aircraft traveling at 74.4KEAS needs:

q = 74.4KEAS^2/295 = 18.76p/ft^2

CL = Weight/(q*S) = 8377.6lbs/(18.76p/ft^2*235.75ft^2) = 2.26

That is in the ballpark of a split flap system.

IMHO, that makes it really unlikely the 1.58 is the CL max of the aircraft with landing flaps deployed for the performance calcs used on Weiderstandaten von Flugzeugen.

Last edited by Crumpp; 10-08-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #28
Crumpp+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
THis is Russian report on the 190.

Minimal speed (gauge reading) is 210 kph.

There is a landing speed observation WITH KNOWN MASS.
Thank you for sharing, btw!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #29
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
What turn do you want? Instanteneous or sustained? The answer will be different.
Indeed, but I thought I hinted at that by asking what speed I should maintain i.e. I was refering to the sustained turn rate
Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #30
Crumpp+
Posting Rights Revoked

What Yo-Yo says...

I read too far back on the curve.

Last edited by Crumpp; 10-08-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: see above
Closed Thread