VR Cockpit

Buckeye

This is a "catch all" thread to outline the evolution of my VR Cockpit from a simple desktop setup, to a Wheel Stand Pro setup with top tier flight sim controls, to (eventually) a full scale 1:1 cockpit.

Tales of my research, part procurement, and pit building follow...

Edited by =Buckeye=
  • Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

very nice rig there buddy! looking good!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nice tidy setup, puts me to shame.

I like that wall though, post a bigger picture of the room!

Thanks, man! I'll get a bigger pic of the whole room ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Took a saw to the center joystick post to shorten it about 2-3" so it rests lower in my lap area, and repositioned the throttle a little bit for a more realistic/ergonomic set up. I'll have to get some updated pics up soon, along with the full room shots for Mr Burns!

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

is it rigid enough ? ... for hard flight combat ;)

Edited by JallieFR

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

is it rigid enough ? ... for hard flight combat ;)

The WSP is built like a tank! I was blown away when it arrived to see how heavy it was and then to see how well made it was when I was putting it together. Really pleased with it.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 1 month later...

KkYhuEb.jpg

Here is an updated shot showing the new set up since I've sawed off a few inches of the WSP joystick post, so that my Warthog +15cm extension sits in a lower, more realistic and comfortable position when seated.

Since my last photos I've also added a microphone boom arm to help assist with clear voice comms using VAICOM 2.0 and VoiceAttack.

Next steps:

1. Add my aviation decorations to the walls
  2. I just ordered new pedals from Baur, more specifically the BRD F2 Su-35 style combat pedals (with damper) to replace my Saitek's, so I will need to make some modifications to the WSP foot plate so that I can mount these...but I've got a few months before taking delivery, so more to come on that later!

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Thanks, soupdragon.

Also, one update to my previous update: I have cancelled my order of the BRD F2 pedals in favor of the Slaw Device RX Viper pedals, seen below. The wait for production and delivery will be a few (painful) months, but I am pumped to get these added to my pit!

JT3A0551.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

You call that a mess......LOL

My computer area looks like an explosion in a computer shop LOL

Nice setup BTW.

SWD

Me too! mine looks like an errant grenade helped with the arrangement. ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 months later...

Took delivery of this beast today...a Steelcase Leap V2, Black with a Platinum Frame:

leap-20100-2.jpg

On the bright side, the chair is incredibly comfortable. I have a Herman Miller Aeron in my office at work and this thing blows it out of the water IMO. I teetered back and forth for quite a while on 1) buying a racing/gaming chair, 2) buying an old actual fighter jet seat, or 3) fabricating a jet seat myself. At the end of the day, I wanted a chair that was well made, comfortable and ergonomic...I found it and unfortunately it was very expensive, but it should last me quite a while and I think my back will thank for me it during long periods of flying (and in the future).

On the down side, once I put the seat in my home office (i.e. flight sim room), I realized that my Slaw RX Viper pedals that are on order would look MUCH better if they were in the silver model (pictured below), rather than the all black ones that I ordered back in September. My all black pedals were slated to ship to me from Slaw next week, but today I decided to chang my order with Slaw. As a result, my pedals will now be delayed until the second half of January...hopefully received sometime in early February. This is very unfortunate (especially when I was SO close to having them after 3 months of waiting), but when spending $700+ on pedals and $1000+ on a chair, I wanted to be 100% certain that I am 100% happy with my decisions.

full-35902-117645-gray_pedal.jpg

I will get pics of the setup with the new chair up sometime in the near future.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I have the same chair (just all black). And when I fly, I use this:

wWLnK5g.jpg

Just pick up the chair and seat it in. The black plastic is from homedepot. A gasket that I cut in half.

iq1EzVL.jpg

It helps when using the rudder as your chair will stay put.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That is a nice setup Stang. I considered it but I switch joysticks from Warthog and Komodo. So I have to have a center mounted solution. And since it's 90% work chair and 10% DCS, I opted for a solution independent of the chair. Folding shelf for the collective/throttle etc. If I had the space, I would definitely have gone for a custom solution like yours! (very nice!)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

stang, now that is cool man! I wouldn't mind making a setup like that.

VR Cockpit

ec8d7523420018ae86c44ba75dff8465.jpgb0f42383c9053989189231f087af7096.jpg

Latest and greatest, office is still a mess but let's be real -- that isn't going to change any time soon. Whenever I actually have a few free minutes away from life/my fiancée, I always chose to fly rather than to finish organizing the room

Really loving the adjustable arms on my new chair...it's really nice to rotate the right chair arm in (as pictured) to hold my stick arm up. Makes long flights a lot more comfortable.

Next up: Waiting for my Slaw pedals to get here (now with a self imposed 1.5 month delay, so 4.5 months total, due to a last minute order change). Also will be adding a JetSeat SE in short order as well.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Make sure you get the jetseat with the velcro straps. The ones I got from Gametrix has buckles which is a pain in the ass for the chair you have.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Make sure you get the jetseat with the velcro straps. The ones I got from Gametrix has buckles which is a pain in the ass for the chair you have.

Roger that, thanks for the tip brother! :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

....office is still a mess but let's be real -- that isn't going to change any time soon.

You call that a mess?! man, my rig looks like a tornado went through it. Looking good Bro!:thumbup:

You call that a mess?! man, my rig looks like a tornado went through it. Looking good Bro!:thumbup:

a lot of the true mess was cropped out of the photos haha. Messes drive me nuts but organizing the office loses every time in the battle of "Do I want to organize the room or do I want to fly?"

Thanks for the props. I can't wait for my new pedals to get here, then I just need VKB to release some throttle photos so I can decide if I'm going with VKB or VPC...

In the interim, not sure if I have posted it in here previously or not...but I sanded the Warthog gimbal down, applied some Nyogel 767A damping grease, and installed a new teflon PTFE ring. All of that paired with the extension and custom spring, it's about the most I can get out of the crappy WH...still, I'm ready for something new (Gunfighter or MT-50).

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 1 month later...

Well, the Slaw RX Vipers arrived and I finally had a chance to set them up very early this morning before I headed in to the office. Damper is installed and they are bolted on to my pedal plate on the WSP.

(again, sorry for the shitty iPhone pics)

hiV83Ti.jpg

nyEu8IT.jpg

4rw0WHM.jpg

a8mUaRG.jpg

Next up: Custom JetSeat SE from Andre, I received the message from him yesterday that it was finished being made and that he will be shipping it to me shortly. I should have it here in the states within a few weeks.

My sketch (made-to-measure to fit my Steelcase Leap V2):

0HwVEIO.png

His final product:

20180213_203338.jpg

20180213_203431.jpg

Also currently working with rrohde at VKB NA to coordinate an order/pre-order of a VKB Gunfighter Pro with the 20cm extension.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 2 weeks later...

Made-to-measure JetSeat SE is now here and installed on my Steelcase Leap V2...it fits and looks absolutely perfect. And it adds so much to the VR experience, it's really pretty incredible. Definitely an A+ addition to my VR cockpit.

Pics from after the install:

acbcde369039f0138654e79ae24fd485.jpgbc8ddb035b541c58c612342bbb11387f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

What did you do with the Saitek pedals?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground