Dora keeps going in circle - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
NeilWillis
Veteran

Have you checked for duplicate entries in your control options for the Dora?

You may find one axis causes another to deflect, so you may just need to delete the non-applicable entries.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
depner

Hey guys thanks for all the info will check all of above and report back
depner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
depner

Yup the dummy had the brakes wrong way round left was right and the toe brakes were on all the time. Just wish there was just one profile for all planes as I find that all these different setting get very confusing and time consuming to set up on my saitek x 65pro
Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
9./JG26_Brigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by depner View Post
Hi all ,when I try to take off in cold start mission. I cannot get the plane to stop turning left when I open the throttle. I have full right rudder but nothing helps. Newbie at this game.
lock the tail wheel by pulling the stick all the way back and apply right side wheel brake
9./JG26_Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #15
depner

Will do I flew in real life so knew about tail wheel lock. Lucky we did not have to programme the real plane like we do in this sim. Don't think I would have got off the ground ha ha.

Last edited by depner; 06-03-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
depner

Thanks for the help all. All is well now can take of just fine.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #17
cthulhu68

So is the idea to pull back stick and keep it held there on all WWII planes? My routine with P-51 has been to pull back all the way and let return to center before takeoff and I thought that was doing the trick.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu68 View Post
So is the idea to pull back stick and keep it held there on all WWII planes? My routine with P-51 has been to pull back all the way and let return to center before takeoff and I thought that was doing the trick.

No, not really. The POH tells you what you should do for each aircraft. In the 190 pulling the stick to the rear also locks the tailwheel.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #19
Weegie

I'm only a virtual pilot, but as we are discussing virtual aircraft, then I should be as entitled as anybody ;o)

Mustang and Dora both use stick back to lock the tail wheel. I find this is around 2/3rd stick back, in my system anyway.

Kurtfurst uses a manual tail wheel lock on the LHS

For all of these I use stick back (not necessarily full deflection) and release at a preset speed for each aircraft, to bring the tail up.

If you continue to hold stick back after said preset speed then eventually the aircraft will achieve flying speed and attempt to lift from a 3 point position.......................usually that does not end well.

Exception so far for me is the Spit. From IRL Videos the stick is also held back during TO, but in the sim I find a neutral stick works best. If it wasn't for the Godamm free pivoting tail wheel, causing you to do Michael Flatley impersonations, it would be the easiest aircraft to lift in the game instead of the hardest (IMHO)

I'm a rubbish pilot in the virtual world, but all that's required for any of the warbirds is to watch some videos preferably more than one, as techniques vary. Then practice, practice, practice trying different techniques.

You'll eventually find what works for you
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
BitMaster
Veteran

Elevator UP is used on most tail draggers to force the tail down for 3 reasons.

1. Prohibit an early lift off followed by a stall & crash. The ALL_THE WAY pulled elevator forces a stall on the tail, thus it wont generate lift, BUT once fast enough IT WILL !!!. Let it gently go before A becomes B !!!
This is more dominant when landing, keep elevator full up and maybe some aileron left or right to enforce a stall, that way you wont lift off again after touchdown.

2. Put more traction on the tailwheel so it can steer the craft, doesnt apply to all tail draggers but those with coupled tailwhell-Rudder assembly.

3. Put the tail on the ground and not the propeller in the dirt when throttling up. Some aircraft tend to nose over when applying throttle from a stand still position. Once some speed is gained and dampening over the surfaces takes place the plane will not nose-stand by itself anymore.
Applies to some tail dragger aircraft, not all.

In all cases elevator should be gently released while you gain speed on the ground and be around neutral prior to lift off. When fast enough, pull gently

When you do a FULL THROTTLE test on the tarmac, obey #3 !!!
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine

Last edited by BitMaster; 06-04-2017 at 11:49 AM.
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote