How to Land the Dora - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
wolle

Default How to Land the Dora

I have a couple of questions:

When I take-off it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I hold back the stick when I start rolling. Theoretically holding back the stick should lock the tail wheel and keep the plane straight. I cannot detect any difference whether I hold the stick back or not, in both cases the plane yaws drastically as soon as I release the brake. When I look at it from F2 view, the tail wheel is initially straight. As soon as I start to roll, whether or not I hold the stick back, the plane yaws to the right, and the tail wheel rotates with it. The effect of holding the stick back seems to take effect only after a second or so. After a second or so, the tail wheel indeed locks, but at that point you are already off-course.

Has anyone tried crosswind take-offs (say 10 m/s). I can do those fine with the P51, but the Dora seems to be blown all over the place by the crosswind. Strangely it wants to weather vane with the wind, instead of into it (which I think is the usual response) Any tips?

During landing approach, as soon as you lower flaps and gear, the plane becomes extremely nose-heavy. I have to trim her all the way and in addition pull the stick back almost all the way just to keep a proper approach attitude.
wolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
NineLine
Community Manager

Maybe post a track, people can help you better if they can see what you are doing.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolle View Post

When I take-off it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I hold back the stick when I start rolling. Theoretically holding back the stick should lock the tail wheel and keep the plane straight. I cannot detect any difference whether I hold the stick back or not, in both cases the plane yaws drastically as soon as I release the brake. When I look at it from F2 view, the tail wheel is initially straight. As soon as I start to roll, whether or not I hold the stick back, the plane yaws to the right, and the tail wheel rotates with it. The effect of holding the stick back seems to take effect only after a second or so. After a second or so, the tail wheel indeed locks, but at that point you are already off-course.

Has anyone tried crosswind take-offs (say 10 m/s). I can do those fine with the P51, but the Dora seems to be blown all over the place by the crosswind. Strangely it wants to weather vane with the wind, instead of into it (which I think is the usual response) Any tips?

During landing approach, as soon as you lower flaps and gear, the plane becomes extremely nose-heavy. I have to trim her all the way and in addition pull the stick back almost all the way just to keep a proper approach attitude.

Give her full power insantly to start its not like slowly increase power in the pony.

New DCS World KA-50 Blackshark and SU-25 Sound?

Bitte immer neue Wattestäbchen benutzen. Nicht nachschieben!
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
mangaroca

For me, Dora take offs tend to be tricky and very "random". Sometimes she will get airborne smoothly and sometimes I end up in a pile of burning rubble. I keep my tail wheel locked until 170 km/h accelerating at a constant 2500 rpm but a slight right rudder correction is always required. Not releasing the rudder on time however, just as the aircraft becomes airborne ends with a nasty instant roll to port side which is usually unrecoverable..

Never say never, Baby! 8]

mangaroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
X93355

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolle View Post

You may have already done this, but just double check your bindings in controls as I find every input device was controlling roll and pitch.
InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908
X93355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
X93355

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroca View Post
For me, Dora take offs tend to be tricky and very "random". Sometimes she will get airborne smoothly and sometimes I end up in a pile of burning rubble. I keep my tail wheel locked until 170 km/h accelerating at a constant 2500 rpm but a slight right rudder correction is always required. Not releasing the rudder on time however, just as the aircraft becomes airborne ends with a nasty instant roll to port side which is usually unrecoverable..
I got this as well, but she is right on the stall on the rotate and the lovely lady seems to snap to the left and down she goes. I've found taking the power up to full power at 170 and trimming slightly nose forward helps. Lots of small feet work with the rudders.

I've never flown a tail dragger in real life. A mate has a Yak55m and he reckons your not a real pilot until you've mastered one
InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908
X93355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Isegrim

You guys should bring her tail up at~150 km/h by release the stick to the middle.
With significant right rudder and a bit less significant right roll you should get her airborn.

Otherwise you will start into a stall.

And i say again give her full power.... no 2500 RPM schnikschnak.

New DCS World KA-50 Blackshark and SU-25 Sound?

Bitte immer neue Wattestäbchen benutzen. Nicht nachschieben!
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
El Hadji

I made the mistake of treating the Dora like the P-51 before kind people here on the forum helped me. Instead of going easy on the throttle I slam it open while I hold the stick back and slightly right of center. As speed increase I gently let the stick slide back to center but still slightly to the right until the plane lifts off by itself.

Make sure you taxi forward on the runway a bit to make sure the tailwheel is straight before opening the throttle.

My computer specs below:
Spoiler:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64
El Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
=FoReIgNeR=

As with everything practice makes perfect. After wasting about 10% of the original production number of Dora's (650 ~ 700) I can manage to take-off and land now safely... most of the time =)

I can't imagine what a scary, adrenaline ridden experience the first flight in a FW-190 or BF-109 must have been for the real luftwaffe pilots! Things can go very wrong very fast!
=FoReIgNeR= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
jcomm

I believe most of us tend to initially pull the stick all the way back and past 150-170 km/h.

This certainly calls for problems, because you stall it right at takeoff :-)

The correct procedure for me is:

1) just slightly pull the stick back when you apply takeoff power ( which should show 3200 RPM )

2) center joystick in pitch around 150 km/h, and at the same time use rudder to stay in the rw - the tail will rise so, further right rudder will be necessary!

3) apply a bit of right aileron just before getting airborne

I have to test with different x-wind settings now, and will report my findings.