DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Merlin-27
Veteran

Very small thing...

Page 12. "Light allow Frise-type ailerons" Should that be alloy?

Very interesting and thorough read so far.

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4
Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access
Merlin-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
Merlin-27
Veteran

Page 27. "Turning the system on immediately increases engine power by almost 100 HP due to the fact that a cooler engine can pull in more air. At the same time, turning on the MW-50 enables much higher supercharger boost levels."

This doesn't seem quite right to me. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but "engine cooling" by this method would hardly be "immediate". If anything, I'd think the cooling effect on the air, making it more dense, would cause the immediate power increase. I'm always willing to learn something new, though.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin-27 View Post
Page 27. "Turning the system on immediately increases engine power by almost 100 HP due to the fact that a cooler engine can pull in more air. At the same time, turning on the MW-50 enables much higher supercharger boost levels."

This doesn't seem quite right to me. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but "engine cooling" by this method would hardly be "immediate". If anything, I'd think the cooling effect on the air, making it more dense, would cause the immediate power increase. I'm always willing to learn something new, though.
That is exactly how I - as layman - understood it. If you inject the MW50 it cools the air-fuel mixture, allowing more of it getting into the combustion chamber.

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:

I believe it was pretty much instantaneous because of the mixture used, but I dont profess to understand how it works 100% I know it was limited by altitude though, that higher altitudes didnt yeild the same results, where the supercharger isnt able to provide anymore boost.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #25
Merlin-27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
I believe it was pretty much instantaneous because of the mixture used, but I dont profess to understand how it works 100% I know it was limited by altitude though, that higher altitudes didnt yeild the same results, where the supercharger isnt able to provide anymore boost.
I see what you are saying but my point, possibly not clear, was that it's the cooling of the intake airflow not actually cooling the engine itself that would be providing any immediate power increase. Just seemed misleading to me the way it is worded.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #26
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
I see what you are saying but my point, possibly not clear, was that it's the cooling of the intake airflow not actually cooling the engine itself that would be providing any immediate power increase. Just seemed misleading to me the way it is worded.
Sorry, I had totally missed your point, you are saying it doesnt point out the primary function of the system...

It does explain that on page 26 though, that the primary effect is anti-detonation...
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**

Last edited by NineLine; 06-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #27
-=MadCat=-

Page 72, markings on the throttle lever.

Correct translations should be:
Aus (Off)
Anlassen (Engine Start) or just (Start)
Steigen (Climb)
Start (Takeoff)

Greetings
MadCat
-=MadCat=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #28
Merlin-27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Sorry, I had totally missed your point, you are saying it doesnt point out the primary function of the system...
Wellll.... not exactly.

"Turning the system on immediately increases engine power by almost 100 HP due to the fact that a cooler engine can pull in more air"

This specific statement. Is it really correct? Is lowered engine temperature the true cause of this immediate 100 hp?

I'm trying to pose my question as delicately as possible.

Most of my knowledge of such systems is for radial engines and carbs...and admittedly they are a bit different but as far as I know the theory of operation on each are fairly similar.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #29
NineLine
Community Manager

I'll have to ask, how its written in Janes seems different... but if I remember correctly when talking to Yo-Yo, he said something similar to what is written in the DCS manual...
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 06-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #30
MiloMorai+
Posting Rights Revoked

Agree Merlin. Someone is confused.

The only way to cool the engine is by the radiators (coolant and oil) and that certainly isn't immediate.
MiloMorai is offline   Reply With Quote