OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

Great Project! Since I started my Pit just a couple of weeks ago after doing 2 years of Research I really apreciate your ambition and Will to do something good for all of us.

I was wandering If there are some European Simbuilders that wish to Group up in order to resarch easily accessible replacements for Parts that we cant get. We could organise a Little to be quicker when the OpenHornet Project is finished. I do Have a CNC Router and 3D Printer and would be willing do manufacture Parts on a 10 PCs material cost only Basis. Also some Switches are getting significantly cheaper when ordered togehter. What do you guys think?

Great Project! Thanks so much for your work!

Very much looking forward to this great work

Subbed and along for the ride

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Hi Guys

Fantastic News!

I really like where its going. are there any stl files out yet?

As i can tell you have already a pretty good team assembled,so i guess you dont need any help there?

I just could contribute with helping printing for Switzerland and Germany as i own a 3D printer Company.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Evilfisher

I’ll be watching this thread closely as I plan on starting my VR Hornet pit very soon! I have my Prusa i3 MK3 up and running, ordered a ton of buttons & switches, and a bunch of Arduino “stuff”. To say I’m interested is an understatement. Can’t wait to see where this goes. Good luck!

Intel i7-8700k, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB Ram, Oculus Rift, Odyssey+, HP Reverb.

Great Project! Since I started my Pit just a couple of weeks ago after doing 2 years of Research I really apreciate your ambition and Will to do something good for all of us.

I was wandering If there are some European Simbuilders that wish to Group up in order to resarch easily accessible replacements for Parts that we cant get. We could organise a Little to be quicker when the OpenHornet Project is finished. I do Have a CNC Router and 3D Printer and would be willing do manufacture Parts on a 10 PCs material cost only Basis. Also some Switches are getting significantly cheaper when ordered togehter. What do you guys think?

Great Project! Thanks so much for your work!

Sounds good to me (Sweden here).

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time no more updates! did you get on with the project? I think many here would like to have regular updates!

Homecockpit F/A 18C MK4 von Dogfight Boss | i7-8700k | Asus Rog Strix Z370-F | ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 1080 ROG STRIX | 16 GB RAM 2666 | 500 GB Samsung EU 860 EVO SSD | Corsair Hydro H100i V2 | TM Warthog |3 * TM MFD‘s | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Not to speak for Jrsteensen,

In the engineering world, you can have it Fast, Cheap (in this case free), or Right.

Which one do you want?

Really great (ACCURATE) engineering work, takes time.

Stang out

Edited by Stang

Jrsteensen, I saw on another forum that you are - or at least were - building an F-18D pit in order to press-gang your kid into playing WSO with you.

Did you give up on that (part of the) project?

I'd also be interested in some 5-yo-proof designs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all. I apologize for the lack of updates - between my Army training last month, and me being out of state due to a death in the family most of this month, not a whole lot of progress has been made on the Mechanical side. Electrical has continued to progress in my absence.

We have transitioned to KiCAD 5.0 for electrical, and will be updating the model to SW2018 in the next month or so.

Thanks for the kind words there Stang - we do work on this project on a purely volunteer basis and as our (very busy) "real" lives allow. All individuals working on this project have demanding jobs and families.

Aniron,

I was. I am going to finish this project first, then I may look at doing a rear seat at some point in the future. Almost tempted to just build two "C" model pits in that case however.

Edited by jrsteensen

Sorry for your loss.

I have a question on the ABSIS.

Is it only usable with DCS-BIOS?

I play other games than DCS where a simpit would be neat, even though not tailored 1:1 to the aircraft.

Could it run as a normal DirectInput device (input only) or better yet switch between them?

Sorry for your loss.

I have a question on the ABSIS.

Is it only usable with DCS-BIOS?

I play other games than DCS where a simpit would be neat, even though not tailored 1:1 to the aircraft.

Could it run as a normal DirectInput device (input only) or better yet switch between them?

You can, but we will be coding it only for DCS-BIOS. Reflashing the Arduinos will be on the builder.

What is the end user cost you are trying to aim for?

We don't really have a hard number, but we are keeping affordability to the end builder in mind, and trying to ensure parts can be fabricated as cheaply as possible where it doesn't otherwise impact the functionality of that part.

reason I ask for an amount you are aiming for is... the required items you listed the end user needing are already around $2000 USD (3d printer, router, tools, etc...), or am I reading that incorrectly and you will be providing everything pre-manufactured with some assembly required?

are we looking at 1-15K, for already completed parts...

or

are you planning on just releasing the plans for the user to create everything with their own equipment...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

reason I ask for an amount you are aiming for is... the required items you listed the end user needing are already around $2000 USD (3d printer, router, tools, etc...), or am I reading that incorrectly and you will be providing everything pre-manufactured with some assembly required?

are we looking at 1-15K, for already completed parts...

or

are you planning on just releasing the plans for the user to create everything with their own equipment...

Yes. These will be free plans. Not products.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...