Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

SRS and Discord are by design completely different.

SRS is designed to simulate the usage of the ingame radio as it was intended to be used.

Discord is the casual app / site / program to be used for many things - comms is just one part of it

I just wanted to give an example that even this is used on other servers by force

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

other servers enforce different third party comms as well.

think of the ddcs server, you even need to be on discord there, otherwise you're kicked off the server.

Discord doesn't add to the immersion of a flight sim, SRS does, and so i don't see a problem here.

In the long run, only a native solution by ED can solve this issue ... in the meantime SRS is a great addition, which is easily installed and should be a standard tool for every DCS pilot out there ;)

+1

No doubt SRS is to be preferred over Discord in almost all aspects. I guess there is virtue in the fact that one can't please everyone. No harm in testing things out and seeing how it goes. One can always adjust again.

+1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Had some time today and was able to update the mission Supervision:

Upon spawning you'll receive a message popping up on the upper right corner of your screen debriefing you on what's going on. Depending on the completed objectives the message gets updated automatically.

Last week I did the same in the mission Phone booth. These breifing messages are not replacing the actual briefing texts, but only keeping you updated no matter at what stage you decide to join the server and fly the current mission.

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hi Aplen.

How is your endeavor into Persian Gulf missions going?

I think that place, Iran especially, is perfect for your Cold War missions and gameplay. Hiding, searching, hunting, fighting between all the ridges, crossing the big flat plains to get to which ever etc.

And really good performance out there in the nothing areas too, which there is lots of.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Used SRS for the first time this evening and I think that combined with this cold war server is as good as it gets. The level of realism forces you to be position aware and heightens the senses. Levels of realism as good as I could imagine without actually being in the military, top marks!

I've been using SRS quite a bit, but last night was indeed special.

There was someone on GCI (Ground Control Intercept / tactical command) who did an excellent job. What was really useful was that he put the frequency he was using into chat and came and let people know on the other frequency channels. By doing this, it gathered everyone to a single place, which was great.

CGI via SRS really added a lot (e.g. you get appropriate situational awareness, and he helped fix a nav error I'd made). It is sooooooo much better than the in-game auto-bot "overlord" messages which are slow, monotonous and often irrelevant. Human CGI is much better, especially when you get someone who really knows what they are doing.

I really had a great time... well, until I was shot down by AAA...

I'm still getting used to figuring out how to find the radio frequencies though. I can find out the ATC channel from the kneeboard charts, but how do you work out the others? I didn't see them in the briefing, and it is not as if the aircraft comes with the radio channels pre-set-up.

Hi Aplen.

How is your endeavor into Persian Gulf missions going?

I think that place, Iran especially, is perfect for your Cold War missions and gameplay. Hiding, searching, hunting, fighting between all the ridges, crossing the big flat plains to get to which ever etc.

And really good performance out there in the nothing areas too, which there is lots of.

I have a mission ready to go actually. I've got to admit though that I rarely fly on the Persian Gulf so I'm not really familiar with it. Started flying there recently and I've realised that I need to change quite a few things in the mission.

Before the mission is released I want to update all the others first.

Used SRS for the first time this evening and I think that combined with this cold war server is as good as it gets. The level of realism forces you to be position aware and heightens the senses. Levels of realism as good as I could imagine without actually being in the military, top marks!

I'm glad to hear that. Been trying so often to get people to use SRS or comms at all. So again, good to hear.

... I'm still getting used to figuring out how to find the radio frequencies though. I can find out the ATC channel from the kneeboard charts, but how do you work out the others? I didn't see them in the briefing, and it is not as if the aircraft comes with the radio channels pre-set-up.

It does say in the briefing that AWACS has this and that frequency and especially for the MiG's what channel they need.

Frequencies will be added for guard channels, etc.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Nice flight last night .. Nice duel against the 2 Albatros at the beginning and then with the others :thumbup:

45:00 Landing

36:00 1 Vs 3 MiG21

4:18 | 1 Vs 2 |

15:20 Vs MiG21

21:30 Landing

[sIGPIC]2RGT DCS WORLD ITALIA[/sIGPIC]

DIAVOLO 1-1 | 2RGT OBERST

2RGT DCS Gruppo Volo Italiano

Canale Youtube: 2RGT OBERST

Facebook: DCS World Italia - 2RGT -

Canale Twitch: 2RGT OBERST

LIVE!

Hi guys,

I am new to DCS, played a lot of IL2 though. I currently have the Viggen and F18 but I am planning to get an earlier dogfighter such as Mig21, F5E or Mirage. I am asking because this server seems to be the right place to be for those of us looking for some old good dogfighting.

Which are the available planes in this server? I am very attracted to the Mig21 but so I am to F5 and Mirage.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Hi guys,

I am new to DCS, played a lot of IL2 though. I currently have the Viggen and F18 but I am planning to get an earlier dogfighter such as Mig21, F5E or Mirage. I am asking because this server seems to be the right place to be for those of us looking for some old good dogfighting.

Which are the available planes in this server? I am very attracted to the Mig21 but so I am to F5 and Mirage.

Both the F-5 and MiG-21 is what this server is about really. The backbone of this place basically, added a good pinch of MiG-19 and Viggen.

Mirage is to new and advanced for the Cold War server philosophy. Generally anything with a good radar (pulse doppler) and SARH missiles is a no go.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I currently have the Viggen and

You can fly the Viggen on Cold War server too, plenty of people do.

The mission layouts and target variations mean you get to employ a wide range of the Viggen's capabilities on this server.

I only wish there were more anti-ship strike missions... I can nail 4 ships in one strike if it goes well. Some missions with 10 or more ships to sink in 2 convoys would be nice.... hint, hint

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Hey Alpenwolf had fun on your server tonight. Was flying the newest mission I believe, the one with L-39’s at FARPS and a convoy to defend. It seems the MiG-19 does not have the rwr added, I did not know if this was intentional to simulate an early type or wether you might have just missed it because I’m sure it’s a pain making sure ever singly 19 has the rwr available. Many thanks

Didn’t stop me from giving the Tigers a work out!

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Hey Alpenwolf had fun on your server tonight. Was flying the newest mission I believe, the one with L-39’s at FARPS and a convoy to defend. It seems the MiG-19 does not have the rwr added, I did not know if this was intentional to simulate an early type or wether you might have just missed it because I’m sure it’s a pain making sure ever singly 19 has the rwr available. Many thanks

Didn’t stop me from giving the Tigers a work out!

Yeah it has a rear aspect only rwr.

I am aware of its limitations. But in the newest mission the panel to turn the rear aspect only rwr on is not there. I did not know if it was intentional. Haven’t checked since last post. I know the functionality is there to simulate multiple time periods

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

You know instead of a helicopter tournament, I'd love too see a 3rd gen and older tournament, planes like the F-5 and Mig-21/19 will never be in satal because they aren't competitive, but a dedicated 3rd/2nd gen tournament would be super cool.

104th_Maverick is the one for the MiG-21 vs F-5 and MiG-15 vs F-86 tournaments.

I'm still away from home, but I'll be back tomorrow. I was reading all the posts here nonetheless and very soon I'll start working on what I had announced some posts earlier.

I'll talk to Maverick about the tournaments he normally attends to when I see him online on TeamSpeak, which is by the way the same TeamSpeak channel as of the Cold War 1947 - 1991 server.

@All:

The very first post on the front page of this thread talks about what this server is about and what missions run on it. Just in case you want to post a question about a specific mission or the like.

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Blue pilots are still needed for this weekend's helicopters tournament:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=237870

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Guys, BLUFOR is going to get a new aircraft! Hooray for the Crusader!

http://leatherneck-sim.com/spring-awakening/?fbclid=IwAR0BNFRPXaEYQrUavMRJE10dxF3RqUMggIMIQJNkxtC59-8TXQ7iDkZIuCo

[hope it's not too far off topic @Alpenwolf, feel free to delete this if it's inappropriate]

On another note, just had some great fun flying in a trio with AcidMind and pc2. Flying on comms ROCKS! :)

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Guys, BLUFOR is going to get a new aircraft! Hooray for the Crusader!

http://leatherneck-sim.com/spring-awakening/?fbclid=IwAR0BNFRPXaEYQrUavMRJE10dxF3RqUMggIMIQJNkxtC59-8TXQ7iDkZIuCo

[hope it's not too far off topic @Alpenwolf, feel free to delete this if it's inappropriate]

On another note, just had some great fun flying in a trio with AcidMind and pc2. Flying on comms ROCKS! :)

All good, buddy!

I was watching you fly :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hi Alpenwolf,

Any chance you can have ships to attack on more missions?

One thing I really love with the viggen is doing the anti-maritime runs. With all that water off to the west, the Caucasus map is pefect for long range maritime hunting. . . . .

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/