Tutorial startup not working, Beta 6.4148

scaflight

Hi there.

Using the first tutorial mission for the F-5 in beta .4148, I'm unable to get past the point of igniting the left engine. There is no response from the aircraft. Trying to advance throttle to idle using the assigned keys does not work either. :helpsmilie:

Works for me in DCS v1.5.6.4818 (Steam)

Training - F-5E. Cold Start, Taxiing and Takeoff

2. Press [space] when ready

3. Battery Switch ON
  4. LH and RH Generators ON
  5. LH and RH Fuel Boost Pumps ON

6. Radio Menu - Connect
    • # (key above RShift next to Enter Key on UK keyboard)
    • F8 Ground Crew
    • F5 Air Supply
    • F1 Connect

[*]Audio - "Ground air supply is now connected"

[*]Press [space] to continue

[*]Radio Menu - Apply

• # (key above RShift next to Enter Key on UK keyboard)
  • F8 Ground Crew
  • F5 Air Supply
  • F3 Apply

[*]Audio - "Air is now applied" (LH Engine spools to 10%)

[*]LH Engine Ignition (within 10 seconds of audio)

[*]LH Throttle Idle Indent Forward [RAlt+Home] (within 20 seconds of audio)

[*]LH Revs Increase, EGT rises, etc.

Note: If you take longer than approx 30 sec to start ignition/advance throttle the engine may fail to start (engine revs eventually drop to zero,a minute or so after the audio), if that happens - close the LH throttle [RAtl+End] and repeat from 5, the Connect and Apply radio calls, and try again.

[*]Press [space] to continue

... Apply air to RH Engine, Start, Etc.

Note: The ignition timer runs for approximately 40 seconds. Page 45, F-5E Flight Manual

Controllers: X52 Pro (Throttle), MS Sidewinder FFB2 (Stick), TrackIR

RAM: 12GB

GPU: GTX 670 2Gb

Mods: JSGME all disabled

Edited by Ramsay
ignition timer runs for approximately 40 seconds

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 5 months later...

Just purchased in the October sale and I'm having the same problem as the OP.

Works fine up to starting RH engine. I apply air and it spools up past 10%. Press highlighted engine start and advance throttle to idle but the throttle does not move forward to the idle position so no engine start.

Non-steam version.

Works fine up to starting RH engine. I apply air and it spools up past 10%. Press highlighted engine start and advance throttle to idle but the throttle does not move forward to the idle position so no engine start.

Starting the RH engine is very similar to starting the LH, except after the F3 "Apply" radio call and audio - "Air is now applied" (RH Engine spools to 10%) you -

• press RH Engine Ignition (within 10 seconds of audio)
  • and move RH Throttle Idle Indent Forward [RShift+Home] (within 20 seconds of audio)

If the RH engine fails to start you can close the RH throttle Idle Indent with RShift+End before attempting a re-start..

Tested in DCS v1.5.7.10175

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks for the replies! I found a solution.

For some reason the default binding of R shift + home/end keys didn't work. I changed it to R control + home/end and suddenly the right throttle moves to idle as it should.

Maybe a problem with my keyboard. When I get back to my pc I'll check!

I'm using the beta version btw. Don't have the release currently installed but I can try 2.x later and see what that does.

Edited by Vitesse2l

• 1 year later...

Same here. I get to the Point where Ground Air Supply has been actived, and RPM rises to 10%. But then the Starter Button for the left Engine simply does nothing, even when pressed within 10 sec. after last Audio Message from Ground Crew.

Same here. I get to the Point where Ground Air Supply has been actived, and RPM rises to 10%. But then the Starter Button for the left Engine simply does nothing, even when pressed within 10 sec. after last Audio Message from Ground Crew.

So far you did good.

But one final step is missing: After pressing the start button (which DOES DO something but without any indication), you have to shift the left throttle out of the "fuel shut off" position to the "idle" position.

Then the engine should spool up correctly.

Writing this, and knowing that in 1 of 100 cases this also didn't work for me (at least in Multiplayer). Only god knows what goes wrong (sometimes). :cry:

I don't know if tail wind influences the DCS engine model, but in real life, tail wind with speeds above ~~5 knots may prevent an engine from spooling up.

That is the reason why you get the wind information when requesting startup. For DCS usesless, since you don't have any ground crew which might turn your aircraft with the nose into wind ... :P

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1