What is a great starter plane for me and my Oculus Rift

jozeff

Hello everybody,

Have Been playing with helicopters in dcs for awhile and Absolutely Love them. I want Something Different now and I'm Thinking about a Jet Plane. No World War 2 plane because I like something a bit more sofisticated. Maybe a Korean War jet or Something Newer. I am pretty new to fixed wing planes so something not too difficult would be great. The Sabre or Mig 15 are pretty cool. The default SU25t seems ok but has no clickable cockpit. I'm using my Oculus rift all the time so I don't know if that is a advantage of not. The most important Thing however is that the plane Must Have some decent en training missions. I gave up on the Huey a few times because there are very few training missions. I know the a10c has lots of training options/campaigns but it is perhaps a bit to complicated for me since I only fly 2 hours per week. All those small knobs and screens are not the best thing in VR.... I have a thustmaster warthog joystick and throttle btw.

What would be a good starter plane for me??

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jozeff

For a simple module, without too many systems to worry about, as you said, the MiG-15 or Sabre are ideal.

However, you might find once you get into things, they are a little too simple.

I suspect the single airframe that will have the most in depth support in terms of training missions, campaigns and single missions would be the Hornet. It is still under development, and being so new, you won't see it in sales. It will however be the mainstream module for the foreseeable future, and the systems are automated sufficiently that it isn't difficult to fly. It is however difficult to master given it's versatility.

My vote is for the Mirage ... easily the jet with the best training missions of all, followed by a truly excellent built-in campaign.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would suggest the F-5E. Not too hard to learn but still enough depth to feel a sense of satisfaction with startup and flying. Some cockpit knobs for startup but not too many needed in flight. Easy to fly but more challenging to master, especially when flying with a reasonably heavy loadout.

PC specs:

I would go for the A-10C. One of the easier planes to fly, yet a lot of avionics to learn before you master it. So it'll keep you occupied for some time.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

My usual suggestion is the F-5. It’s a spry little jet with just enough systems to be interesting but not so complicated as to overwhelm.

Or, at this point the F-18 is a good candidate. Since so many systems are currently not implemented it’s actually rather easy to learn. And you’ll be able to expand and grow with the jet as new systems are added.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

My vote is for the Mirage ... easily the jet with the best training missions of all, followed by a truly excellent built-in campaign.

+1

It's an excellent choice, and it carries gbu-12s.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Ha, I didn’t consider peripheral material. Mirage is definitely best in that regard. For the F-5 there is very little available, and I would actually recommend against purchasing the F-5 BFM/AFM campaigns. Besides the voice work there is literally nothing in those copy/paste missions you couldn’t set up yourself with an hour or two of mission editor work.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I'd go for the F-5 as well. Its a flyers jet, as in its not reliant on too many knobs and buttons. The gauges you need to see are large so work well in VR and it has just enough sophistication to keep you interested yet not enough to be overwhelming. Basic bombing and rockets along with sidewinders keep it fun. Take offs are easy and you get to use the chute for landings. Cool jet.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Ha, I didn’t consider peripheral material. Mirage is definitely best in that regard....

Yes .. Baltic Dragon is one of the top mission designers, and Razbam has made an excellent move contracting him to create the training and Campaigns for their aircrafts .. cant wait to have him do the same for the Harrier.

Also, the Manual that Baltic wrote for the Mirage is top notch ... dont know where he gets the time to do so much :) ... I hope Razbam will ask him to write the Harrier manual too.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well, I would say FA18 for the same reason as why A10C makes sense. You can *fly* without having to go through every step (quick starts, auto starts) and you don't *have* to go on missions. But FA18 in VR is simply glorious. Harrier looks very nice to. So if you get A10C or FA18, you can still go flying around, do touch and go's, refueling while you learn (or not) the rest of the system.

A10C has the 30mm cannot that's a lot of fun to shoot! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It is. So is the Hawk. But there isn't much to do. You'll get bored pretty quickly - I think. With other planes, you can just fly *and* do more if and when the OP is ready.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you want something to carry you over until the F/A-18 leaves early access: get the F/A-18. If not, still get the F/A-18. ED will enhance and further develop DCS World around and for that module.

And it's easy to learn and fun to fly and the cockpit works perfectly with deferred shading and it can do carrier ops to boot. You'll get it eventually.

If you absolutely must have any other plane than the F/A-18, I'd suggest either the Sabre (and buy the Museum Relic campaign right with it) or the M2000.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

The F-5 and Mirage are your best bets I think. The F-5 is easy to use but hard to master. It also has an easy to read cockpit, making it one of the better VR options. The Mirage is a bit more complicated but definitely more capable. Unfortunately, it also has the world's tiniest instrument font and so is next to impossible to read at 1440p without zooming in. In VR, it's tough even with zoom.

Though the Hornet is simple at the moment, the radar is frustrating to use and so I don't recommend it for a first plane. The Albatross is a fun little plane and very easy to learn, but its capabilities are so limited that I can't recommend it.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Ok so I'm thinking towards the f5 I guess. Especially since the cockpit is readable in vr as beastybaiter mentioned. Does it have a good training campaign?

The sabre sound good as well. Is it suitable for VR? Thecampaign for it has great reviews. I am focusing now on manoeuvring and navigation so the basic stuff.

They say the a10c is pretty easy to fly. Is the cockpit good for vr. I am just looking for some great flying experience. Me in my cockpit a few hours per week, no multiplayer. Spent lots of time on Facebook and P3d but ended up tweaking most of my spare time. I am ready for some real action.

Thanks you all for your time!!

The Sabre, VR, and Museum Relic campaign is a good combination. The key gauges in the Sabre are reasonably big so easy to read in VR, and the campaign, while fun and challenging in parts, is also effectively a training campaign because it introduces you to the abilities of the aircraft one by one.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

How about the free SU25T? I mean, it's free and so...I

Own it already. It has no clickable cockpit so I'll have to remember a lot of key combinations or use voice attack which I already have. Is the flightmodel any good? Is having a non clickable cockpit a problem in VR?