AMCPD

DAN

On AMPCDs for both the Hornet and Harrier (note that the DCS: AV-8B NA only has MPCDs), you have the option to cycle between a few different colors for symbology with OSB 17.

nope Harrier in DCS is 2000s era modernized with AMPCD displays.

to compare

3pean9mksciz.jpg

2105949201_e3d335e624_z.jpg?zz=1

This is a harrier with MPCD's

2380.jpg

Id post a image from Razbams older model harrier from FSX but id proably get the post removed by a mod. :)

but you get the idea.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Thanks Kev2go, I understand the physical models are AMPCDs but a lot of their documentation (both published and referenced in building the Harrier) only refers to them as MPCDs and they're missing some of the functionality of the AMPCDs right now (the color-changing OSB 17, OSB 18 not displaying the system time instead of "MENU", etc.). Needless to say there's some confusion.

I'll add it to the list. :)

Edited by ChickenSim

So just to understand this correctly... the Lot 20 Hornet is supposed to be able to change AMPCD colors by using the OSB 17?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I believe the F/A-18C's lot 20 or otherwise had 2 cathode ray tube displays (the two green ones up top) and one MPCD behind the stick down low in the cockpit.

You cannot change the colors of the CRT screens but maybe on the bottom MPCD.

The F/A-18C+ has the color displays because they have been upgraded to a super hornet cockpit layout essentially.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I believe the F/A-18C's lot 20 or otherwise had 2 cathode ray tube displays (the two green ones up top) and one MPCD behind the stick down low in the cockpit.

You cannot change the colors of the CRT screens but maybe on the bottom MPCD.

The F/A-18C+ has the color displays because they have been upgraded to a super hornet cockpit layout essentially.

LOT20 has no option to change colors on AMPCD.

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

LOT20 has no option to change colors on AMPCD.

Then how How do you explain the posted video of US Navy legacy F/A18C with White Colours on the AMPCD, ( instead of green?) in the OP.

It would seem very much that it can or it has a different color scheme to begin with.

here il repost a Still along with the video.

N8WK3O6.png

And it isnt just that video there are other videos out there that show White colours for the AMPCD.

I think this needs some further investigating.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

There very easily could be different versions of the AMPCD and/or software load. I don't have a definitive answer, but nothing I've read indicates you can change the color on it in Lot 20.

Lot 20 we have is not just the last batch of produced hornets , but on represented isnt a 1998 plane. But one with various 2000s upgrades ( dated mostly around 2005) but there arent any noted diffeerence between what thier flying 2010+ to present.

It isnt just the lot 20 that has AMPCD's or the HMD etc.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Actual pilots and technicians call them DDI's . Lots of stuff is called certain names in the book but they are referred to differently by the techs. Makes it confusing for new techs when they are told to service an oleo and can't find it in the book because its call a shock absorber. Im sure if you want pink on the ddi its the matter of changing a couple numbers in the lua file .

And it isnt just that video there are other videos out there that show White colours for the AMPCD.

You also have to keep in mind when watching these videos on youtube or vimeo etc that video cameras dont usually show true color when taking video of a screen of any kind. even still cameras have a hard time photographing screens and having the picture come out

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

pretty sure the techs know what an AMPCD

I've been working on the hornet for 10 years in Canada so bit different but I have worked on the old crts as well as the new displays and I have never heard them called AMPCD by anyone . Not like it matters what they're called as long as you know what people are talking about. I don't care what there called as long as they look as awesome as the A-10c's in VR.

I've been working on the hornet for 10 years in Canada so bit different but I have worked on the old crts as well as the new displays and I have never heard them called AMPCD by anyone . Not like it matters what they're called as long as you know what people are talking about. I don't care what there called as long as they look as awesome as the A-10c's in VR.

Canadian hornets dont use the Honeywell made AMPCD.

its a different LCD display.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 2 months later...
Then how How do you explain the posted video of US Navy legacy F/A18C with White Colours on the AMPCD, ( instead of green?) in the OP.

It would seem very much that it can or it has a different color scheme to begin with.

here il repost a Still along with the video.

N8WK3O6.png

Bump

Also to compare it seems that even an older model F18C with MCPD ( pre AMPCD) already had different text colour than Dark Green like it does within DCS

look_down_real.jpg

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

The problem with trying to reference a video you found is that you have no idea what exact model f18 you’re looking at and what specific avionics it has. This is especially true since avionics can be upgraded irl.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

The problem with trying to reference a video you found is that you have no idea what exact model f18 you’re looking at and what specific avionics it has. This is especially true since avionics can be upgraded irl.

You are correct. But neither would we know the Hornet in DCS was a Lot 20 without looking at the fine print ( assuming ED didnt directly tell us)

F/A18C Legacies to date have the same avionics suite . These modernization undertaken were not only limited to Only Lot 20 series, they were standardized. ( if not that would be an extremely small fleet of modernized hornets) The only thing known to be changed since "mid 2000s Hornet" is updated Software to recognize incorporation of newer blocks of existing weapons. such as later agm88 Harm variations and newer blocks of the Aim9x for eg.

AS provided in comparison Earlier F/A18C model pre AMPCD upgrade with the MPCD here still has different text colours. Even from far earlier posts the Harrier ( A MD prduct which reuses some avionics and software aspects)which has the same display unit has different text display . All indications all Hornets have been reffited with AMPCD's so saying that Earlier model hornet with older MPCD is upgraded with a newer software suite than newer models with AMPCD and other newer avionics features like HMD is unlikely story.

The way it looks is Text in the Lower AMPCD are possibly incorrect. It may not be Pure white as other pointed out ( lighter shade of Yellowish Green) but its clearly not Dark Green text like found in the upper CRT based DDI displays.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

• 2 weeks later...

The AMPCD as it is today is completly useless. I´m colorblind as 7-8% of all men. I have no problem with seeing colors but to distinguise different shades of almost the same color is just not possible. I do hope ED lay aside the "hardcore" correct way of showing the picture and text on the AMPCD and think of us with this problem.