Visual and radar fix, which waypoint is updated?

spetsnaz26

I couldn't find this detail in the manual or YouTube tutorials.

For visual fix I haven't tried it but I assume the fix is associated with the closest waypoint, whether or not it has been passed. Say you're supposed to do a visual fix when overflying the cement factory. Before you arrive B1 is already sequenced due to nav error. With B2 displayed, will pressing TV mess up the position by moving B2 to your current position?...

For radar fix (not that is usable right now because the radar image is messed up), I assume it always updates the currently active waypoint? It only makes sense this way because you naturally look ahead when doing a radar fix. Even if the cross may be close to the current waypoint on radar, it should still generate an offset as a function of the distance from next waypoint and the cross. Am I right?

The target waypoints are exceptions of course.

For what I understand, visual (overfly) fix and radar fix work the same.

You correct the entire route with the active waypoint as reference. In your example, if you have B2 active and fly over the cement factory and press TV, B2 will move to above the factory and all other will move relative to that. Same for radar fix. It's the purpose with it.

If you were supposed to have B1 over the factory, just select B1 before commencing with the fix procedure.

I might be wrong, but I believe doing a fix with a waypoint (Bx) the entire route will be corrected, including target waypoints (Mx). But doing a fix on a target only correct that particular target (Mx).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

For what I understand, visual (overfly) fix and radar fix work the same.

You correct the entire route with the active waypoint as reference. In your example, if you have B2 active and fly over the cement factory and press TV, B2 will move to above the factory and all other will move relative to that. Same for radar fix. It's the purpose with it.

If you were supposed to have B1 over the factory, just select B1 before commencing with the fix procedure.

I might be wrong, but I believe doing a fix with a waypoint (Bx) the entire route will be corrected, including target waypoints (Mx). But doing a fix on a target only correct that particular target (Mx).

You're right with respect to the target waypoint update. I'd have to say if you have to manually switch back to B1 if it has passed before you can do a visual fix, it's a cumbersome design. Within the last km or so to the assumed position of the next waypoint, it's really not that easy to tell if it lies beyond or before the actual fix. One mistake and it's messed up big time, then you have to clear it.

You have to initiate the fix before arriving at the waypoint by pressing T1. This changes the waypoint from B to a steady E (e.g. B1 becomes E1), which indicates a pending nav fix. It also prevents the system to automatically switch to the next waypoint, so you can complete the fix by pressing TV when you are above the waypoint.

The radar update works the same, except that you keep the radar on and use the radar cursor for the nav fix. A pending radar nav fix is indicated by a flashing E instead of a steady E.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You're right with respect to the target waypoint update. I'd have to say if you have to manually switch back to B1 if it has passed before you can do a visual fix, it's a cumbersome design. Within the last km or so to the assumed position of the next waypoint, it's really not that easy to tell if it lies beyond or before the actual fix. One mistake and it's messed up big time, then you have to clear it.

Waypoints you are supposed to use as fix points are supposed to (or at least recommend) to be located over prominent geographical features, easily spotted visualy or on the radar a few km before you pass. You're not supposed to do fixes on all waypoints, but you can of course. Just make sure they are easily detected early enough. Pressing T1 early, before the waypoint has switched to the next, if you know you are approaching the fix point, the waypoint will stay the selected one untill you press TV or T0.

If you missed it, or had wrong waypoint active when doing the fix, just over fly it again and correct it.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

If you missed it, or had wrong waypoint active when doing the fix, just over fly it again and correct it.

In this case you have to select the correct waypoint again before doing the fix of course. The fix is always for the selected waypoint, regardless if it is the closest one or not.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

You have to initiate the fix before arriving at the waypoint by pressing T1. This changes the waypoint from B to a flashing E (e.g. B1 becomes E1), which indicates a pending nav fix. It also prevents the system to automatically switch to the next waypoint, so you can complete the fix by pressing TV when you are above the waypoint.

The radar update works the same, except that you keep the radar on and use the radar cursor for the nav fix. A pending radar nav fix is indicated by a steady E instead of a flashing E.

thanks. that solved my concerns.

thanks. that solved my concerns.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake there: The waypoint indication for radar/visual nav fix are the other way around than I said. A steady E indicates a pending visual nav update and a flashing E indicates a pending radar nav update. I updated my previous post.

Tornado3 small.jpg