VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCS is great but many of us are jumping into VR and we need better optimisations to enjoy the flight simulator in VR. I read in December news that you were introducing some improvements. When are we going to see them?

Many thanks.

Good question, which I also have asked...someone replied;... still in development! Saying that the December news indicated (if it is correctly written) that these developments have been done. What I do not like around here is the fact we very rarely hear in this forums directly from the devs. People have various opinions and speculations but it mainly stops there. This is an much anticipated and needed betterment for this sim and in my opinion needs urgent clarification...what has been done so far?...what is still being worked on?...when we should expect actually these improvement to go out. Before people will jump to criticise me for asking and/or being not patient please understand I have invested hundred of pounds in this simulation!

Good question, which I also have asked...someone replied;... still in development! Saying that the December news indicated (if it is correctly written) that these developments have been done. What I do not like around here is the fact we very rarely hear in this forums directly from the devs. People have various opinions and speculations but it mainly stops there. This is an much anticipated and needed betterment for this sim and in my opinion needs urgent clarification...what has been done so far?...what is still being worked on?...when we should expect actually these improvement to go out. Before people will jump to criticise me for asking and/or being not patient please understand I have invested hundred of pounds in this simulation!

I totally agree with you. At the moment I'm not going to buy more from DCS until I see some VR improvements. I'm holding my further investement.

What about "Variable Rate Shading" and "Fixed Foveated Rendering"? It would bring great improvements in fps.

Edited by javipamp

From here,..

Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR) is a technique used on Oculus Go that makes use of tile-based rendering to render the edges of the eye texture at a lower resolution than the center. This is nearly imperceptible to the user as it only affects peripheral sections of the view and can significantly improve GPU fill performance. In Unity, Fixed Foveated Rendering can be enabled or disabled using the OVRManager.tiledMultiResLevel property. Read more about FFR in this blog post.

I would strongly disagree with this as an option, it presumes that you do not scan the whole screen presented on the HMD by moving your eyes as you would in real life. :(

Edited by FragBum
<format>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well we did get more Touch type integration in most recent update.

Hopefully some performance optimizations will be coming soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There are some posts about great performance improvements since the last update of the beta version. I have only the stable version because of laking space on my SSD. But I hope the improvments come to stable version soon.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

There are some posts about great performance improvements since the last update of the beta version. I have only the stable version because of laking space on my SSD. But I hope the improvments come to stable version soon.

I saw no change in performance with last update.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The VR improvements are in work. Once we believe they are close to release, we will make an announcement. Based on history, we now avoid any time estimates until we are very certain.

Thanks!

Excellent Wags !

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

The VR improvements are in work. Once we believe they are close to release, we will make an announcement. Based on history, we now avoid any time estimates until we are very certain.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Thanks for that update, will be looking forward to it whenever it comes.

Don B

Thanks!

Thank your very much for the news. We are really looking forward to seeing those improvements as I will surely invest more money in your planes and maps. Keep pushing hard on VR!!! It's the future once you have tried it.

We just need some patience, creating another thread about it isn't going to speed things up.

No...we need clarity and good information if we are to spend more money on this platform. I am sure a lot of people will agree!

..Sorry Wags...have not seen your post...thank you for info provided!

Edited by pagadi-zaiet

We just need some patience, creating another thread about it isn't going to speed things up.

No, but it does let ED know that there are more and more VR customers and that it is important to many of us.

Looking forward to the improvements (my money is on incorporating what Kegetys started with the shader mod). And culminating with vulkan. :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DCS is great but many of us are jumping into VR and we need better optimisations to enjoy the flight simulator in VR. I read in December news that you were introducing some improvements. When are we going to see them?

Many thanks.

I think some are making DCS VR sound much bigger than it is, the VR Hardware resultion cannot even compare with a 1440p let alone 4K monitor.

VR hardware is still too young to be of valid comparison to the monitors yet, ofcourse things will change and I am not against VR optimizations, but this makes people think VR is already here and equal and this is creating too high expectations for newcomers, I hope this is notified the readme's and docs, I haven't looked yet.

It's like Early Access, I think VR in DCS should be designated as such as well, one is the hardware it self which isn't ED's job, and the other are optimizations, which we're getting and is being done already so it's kinda not valid to bother more, check the newsletters.

Even with those optimizations, the VR hardware is still a large piece of the puzzle.

Even with the VR hardware then you need 4-6x the beef in your PC than you have now.

It will take years when VR is mature, I don't mind excitement, but if it's overkill it's going to make many people disappointed, especially some real-world pilots who never were into games, they don't know the state and the history of PC hardware, they think they'll jump into a futuristic fighter, only to be surprised by some minecraft block pixels, well at least according to CW Lemoine's VR flight he said he could hardly read any cockpit text at all.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I think some are making DCS VR sound much bigger than it is, the VR Hardware resultion cannot even compare with a 1440p let alone 4K monitor.

VR hardware is still too young to be of valid comparison to the monitors yet, ofcourse things will change and I am not against VR optimizations, but this makes people think VR is already here and equal and this is creating too high expectations for newcomers, I hope this is notified the readme's and docs, I haven't looked yet.

It's like Early Access, I think VR in DCS should be designated as such as well, one is the hardware it self which isn't ED's job, and the other are optimizations, which we're getting and is being done already so it's kinda not valid to bother more, check the newsletters.

Even with those optimizations, the VR hardware is still a large piece of the puzzle.

Even with the VR hardware then you need 4-6x the beef in your PC than you have now.

It will take years when VR is mature, I don't mind excitement, but if it's overkill it's going to make many people disappointed, especially some real-world pilots who never were into games, they don't know the state and the history of PC hardware, they think they'll jump into a futuristic fighter, only to be surprised by some minecraft block pixels, well at least according to CW Lemoine's VR flight he said he could hardly read any cockpit text at all.

Not years. 2019 is the year that 2D gaming for flight sim comes to an end*. It's already fantastic in VR. Albeit you need a beefy machine like you said. But that's been true of every sim of every generation. Microsoft Flight Simulator was *THE* benchmark of PC compatibility back when clones were all over the place.

And every PC I've ever wanted for *ANY* PC generation (for flight sim use) was over $3,000 US$. It was true when Compaq released the 386. It was true when Austin computers released the 486. It was true of the last PC I built using z370 MB.

When you fly in VR, it's not about the eye candy of the pictures. OF COURSE it would be wonderful to have as much eye candy as 2D game. But what you're arguing is that you'd rather see the Pyramids, Jordan's Petra, Grand Canyon in 4K resolution on your monitor instead of *being* there.

That's what VR brings to the table. Being *IN* the plane. *IN* the air. *IN* the dogfight. *IN* the bombing run.

* I'm counting on Vulkan coming out in 2019, and helping with VR optimization. Hence the claim. Time will tell.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Have you tried VR?, frankly going back to 2D is a very big step down from the VR experience. It`s like going from the modern games i.e. Battlefield, to the old side scrolling games/shooters. As far as resolution, it becomes less of an issue as you assimilate to being in the world instead of looking through a small window, and perfectly good enough to operate efficiently within the cockpit environment. Next year will see the next gen HMD`s. 2D gaming for sims is the past and VR is here to stay, it`s not even a fair comparison.

Edited by Zoomer

Have you tried VR?, frankly going back to 2D is a very big step down from the VR experience. It`s like going from the modern games i.e. Battlefield, to the old side scrolling games/shooters. As far as resolution, it becomes less of an issue as you assimilate to being in the world instead of looking through a small window, and perfectly good enough to operate efficiently within the cockpit environment. Next year will see the next gen HMD`s. 2D gaming for sims is the past and VR is here to stay, it`s not even a fair comparison.

I most likely have the other arguments, having things strapped to my head, it's simply something I will have being really picky with clothes to begin with, I can find all kinds of details very annoying with a lot of them, etc.

I imagine VR runs to be in sessions for myself, only when in that mode, I wouldn't use VR for anything else like desktop, etc.

It'll be like gearing up for a ski-run on top of a 3000 meter mountain, it's realism, but I would never do any kind of SWITCH and completely replace it. I really don't like to have a ton of clothes on myself in the house in the colder winter times when central heating can't keep up sometimes and parts of the house much coler, and to have to be in a ski-suit all day long, I can hardly imagine it right now.

Wheel's or steering wheels are still wheels, you can't go more circular than that, what are you going to replace them with, magnets and gloves? It's not a natural improvement, it's not natural evolution, it's a different type of movement/interface and it's not interchangible, so magnets instead of wheels would have something less and wouldn't do what wheels can, and I hope DCS recognizes and treats VR and monitor equally for peaceful coexistence in future.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I most likely have the other arguments, having things strapped to my head, it's simply something I will have being really picky with clothes to begin with, I can find all kinds of details very annoying with a lot of them, etc.

I imagine VR runs to be in sessions for myself, only when in that mode, I wouldn't use VR for anything else like desktop, etc.

It'll be like gearing up for a ski-run on top of a 3000 meter mountain, it's realism, but I would never do any kind of SWITCH and completely replace it. I really don't like to have a ton of clothes on myself in the cold winter times (when central heating can't keep up sometimes and parts of the house much coler), and to have to be in a ski-suit all day long, I can hardly imagine it right now.

Wheel's or steering wheels are still wheels, you can't go more circular than that, what are you going to replace them with, magnets and gloves? It's not a natural improvement, it's not natural evolution, it's a different type of movement/interface and it's not interchangible, and I hope DCS recognizes and treats them equally for peaceful coexistence for future.

Haptic feedback gloves that give you the sensation of holding something *IS* far off. I still prefer physical switches and HOTAS. But it all works fine in VR.

The ski outfit comment, I don't even get. I'm guessing that you're saying realism and immersion are not that high on your list of priorities. If that is the case, then VR is absolutely not right for you. But I'm sure it'll coexist for another 5 years. There's also a chance that VR will never become mainstream. High probability in its current trajectory. But like Thurstmaster, Virpil/VKB's, and MFG's of the world, I hope companies will continue to make flight-sim capable VR gear. One can only hope.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I simply can not fly without VR anymore. I have attempted in other sims I shall not name, and it's just not "there" for me. Sure, there's pretty pictures when using a monitor. But as has been previously stated, there's a big difference; looking at the sim, or being in the sim, and VR puts you in the sim. There is no "tilt your head this way" or click a button to look directly behind you. You're going to twist, stretch, move, hold yourself up from your seat a bit as you try to see what's back there. As far as putting the HMD on, if you can put a hat on your noggin, you can put a VR HMD on. It doesn't matter how you look in it, nobody is looking.

Sorry, no cool signature here.